Harry Vaughan debate...

30 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

There’s a good number of players who don’t want to come to us because of the style of play Unsworth plays and also what he’s like as a person. He’s a marmite character within the game

Fair enough. Probably rather that than a soft touch.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I've warmed to Unsworth and genuinely think he'll take us up next season with the backing he's had, it still doesn't mean I'll agree with everything he does, I'm happy to admit when I get it wrong and my views aren't entrenched as others are on here and I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt but he fucked up with Vaughan and should of built the team round him.

Building a team around an 18 year old is a hell of a gamble to take. Especially in the position we were in at the time. I don't think that's Unsworth vision anyway, it seems he's more about having a solid team and squad who all work for each other than building teams around individuals.

It could just be that the move was the right thing for Vaughan and the right thing for the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

There’s a good number of players who don’t want to come to us because of the style of play Unsworth plays and also what he’s like as a person. He’s a marmite character within the game

Any names? 

3 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

How would you know that?

20 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

How would you know that?

From being on a golf day with the manager of a large non-league club.

it was very interesting to hear what he had to say about Unsworth’s reputation within the game.

Players these days won’t go somewhere if the style of football won’t suit them, those that are on demand anyway

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

it was very interesting to hear what he had to say about Unsworth’s reputation within the game.

Players these days won’t go somewhere if the style of football won’t suit them, those that are on demand anyway

Well that's fine. Why would Unsworth want to sign players who don't fit with how he wants to play?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well that's fine. Why would Unsworth want to sign players who don't fit with how he wants to play?

I can’t answer that but we were definitely in for the player and he rejected us as he knew Unsworths style of football wouldn’t suit him. 

I would imagine when there is an obvious emerging talent that’s in demand and you have the resources we do it would be difficult not to be interested. 

2 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Whether he's liked within the game doesn't bother me a jot, he wants grafters and is bringing in a certain 'type', you can see what he's trying to do and I think it will work as we are still an attractive option at this level, we won't struggle for players this season as we are going to be right in the mix and I think he has managed to secure most of his targets.

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Let what go?, it's an opinion on a forum precious.

As for shithousery you do know Vaughan didn't play another minute for us again after that Altrincham game, he was 18 at the time and was made the scapegoat for that performance which was as bad as I've ever seen from a Latics team, it's not blown out of proportion it's fact and everything since then points to Unsworth getting the Vaughan situation very wrong, as for Couto I probably should cut him some slack but I don't rate him, he has age on his side and may well prove me wrong but I just don't see what he offers and he'd struggle to catch at Avro, it's not weird it's fact and the only thing weird in all this is how Unsworth somehow played;

Couto

Peck

Chapman

Wellens

Stobbs

Threlkeld 

Maynard

Burgess

Have I forgotten any????

In a midfield in front of him when we couldn't string two passes together let alone show any attacking intent.

I've warmed to Unsworth and genuinely think he'll take us up next season with the backing he's had, it still doesn't mean I'll agree with everything he does, I'm happy to admit when I get it wrong and my views aren't entrenched as others are on here and I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt but he fucked up with Vaughan and should of built the team round him.

Half of those lads barely kicked a ball under Unsworth...

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I can’t answer that but we were definitely in for the player and he rejected us as he knew Unsworths style of football wouldn’t suit him. 

I would imagine when there is an obvious emerging talent that’s in demand and you have the resources we do it would be difficult not to be interested. 

10 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

A good number? You've hinted at one.

7 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I doubt our football last season would have suited Willoughby majority of the time. Do we not think he was in demand?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

A good number? You've hinted at one.

I doubt our football last season would have suited Willoughby majority of the time. Do we not think he was in demand?

I’m just repeating what I was told.

Also, let’s not be blinded by the results towards the end of the season, the football was still atrocious. A lot of fans seem to have forgiven that because we were getting results.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Also, let’s not be blinded by the results towards the end of the season, the football was still atrocious. A lot of fans seem to have forgiven that because we were getting results.

Ye because that's all that matters 

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Blinded by results? Do you not like winning?

I guess the dream for you is to lose 4-3 one week win 3-2 the next week and draw 3-3 week roar the team off because its so entertaining  we will finish 17th and go absolutely nowhere like but it will be sooooo entertaining.

Results are what matters results will get us promoted not entertaining defeats

It's the national league it will not always be pretty but we win enough games we get a promotion. That is what is actually entertaining not seeing us concede stupid goals all the time and 

3 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

that's quite concerning, lve managed to convince myself the style was 'needs must'. 

hopefully the guy just got lied to by the player after we pulled out of the deal or sumat 😬.

did u win the golf?

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Blinded by results? Do you not like winning?

I guess the dream for you is to lose 4-3 one week win 3-2 the next week and draw 3-3 week roar the team off because its so entertaining  we will finish 17th and go absolutely nowhere like but it will be sooooo entertaining.

Results are what matters results will get us promoted not entertaining defeats

It's the national league it will not always be pretty but we win enough games we get a promotion. That is what is actually entertaining not seeing us concede stupid goals all the time and 

and..?

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think I remember DU saying somewhere that with better players there will be a bit more freedom to play some actual football 

There was an improvement in quality between January and May too. As the better players we signed and management bedded in, the quality of football improved. 

That would suggest that with more better players coming in over the summer and a full pre season together we should see more improvement again. 

Im not expecting full free flowing tikitaka but I’m pretty sure it’ll be miles away from the attritional dross of the early part of 2023. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ye because that's all that matters 

But it doesn’t lend itself towards a steady progression and anything resembling a culture and philosophy. 

Gaining undeserved wins won’t happen forever and then what

5 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think I remember DU saying somewhere that with better players there will be a bit more freedom to play some actual football 

That's the hope but nevertheless it's a result business, Notts played the best football in the division last season but they still didn't do enough to top Wrexham and you could argue were lucky to go up in the end after scraping through both the semi and final. If rhinoball gets us back to the EFL or knocking on the door bring it on.

9 minutes ago, True Tic said:

That’s true however I was told that lots of people within the game couldn’t understand why Vaughan couldn’t get a look in. The consensus was that his footballing brain was too far ahead of the rest of the squad and they weren’t on his wavelength. Hence once he played a few games at Radcliffe and it was apparent that nothing was wrong with him he was snaffled up to play with better players where he’d be better suited 

20 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

that's quite concerning, lve managed to convince myself the style was 'needs must'. 

hopefully the guy just got lied to by the player after we pulled out of the deal or sumat 😬.

did u win the golf?

The player knows he’s going to move to the football league so there’s no point coming to us where we won’t play to his strengths. 
He’s spending his pre-season bulking up in the gym so that he’s better prepared should the move to the football league come this season.

I came last at golf, lost about 20 balls!

12 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

The player knows he’s going to move to the football league so there’s no point coming to us where we won’t play to his strengths. 
He’s spending his pre-season bulking up in the gym so that he’s better prepared should the move to the football league come this season.

I came last at golf, lost about 20 balls!

ohhhhh that recommendation, got you 👍🏻

you won't be suprised to hear that my bro turned his hand fully to golf about this time last year and has ended up the best out of everyone 

not that lve always been in his sporting shadow or owt 🙄