Harry Vaughan debate...

There has been the odd question mark raised against Darren Royle's past, but he seems like he really knows his onions with football administration.

In that respect, the club has been crying out for someone like that since probably Alan Hardy was chief exec.

50 minutes ago, LT_SMASH said:

Section from the Oldham Times today-

Royle cited Academy product Harry Vaughan's sale to Hull City as a recent example of this.

"Harry's done brilliantly. It was finding a platform where he could project himself and he's taken his chance and we wish him all the success, and if he achieves great things it's good all round," he explained.

"One thing the club has made sure of since we took over 10 months ago is that we've protected ourselves in all transactions, and all assets that we've looked to sell on.

"Sometimes you can't keep hold of a player if they want to leave and sometimes I think it's actually the right thing and I think Harry is a brilliant lad and it's just worked out well for him and it could do for us and Hull."

Certainly looks like we have a sell clause intact 

apparantley we got a small fee just for him making his debut and that wasnt the only one in there..

pretty cruel on Lags digging this thread up 🤣

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:37 AM, Lags said:

Vaughan won't make it above national league north. In fact, he'll ply his trade lower most his career. He's really not that good. 

I guess this is the post Monty is referring to 😂

To be fair to Lags, it’s still early days for Vaughan at Hull, but he’s made a pretty good start! And to say he wouldn’t make it above NLN was over the top, surely.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

I guess this is the post Monty is referring to 😂

To be fair to Lags, it’s still early days for Vaughan at Hull, but he’s made a pretty good start! And to say he wouldn’t make it above NLN was over the top, surely.

If I've got a player wrong I'll be in a long list including better judges than me who have.  In my opinion Vaughan did nothing in a Latics shirt to suggest he'd push on higher.  Currently in his cameo appearances for Hull he's proving me wrong.  I'll still reserve judgement he'll make it at that level. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lags said:

If I've got a player wrong I'll be in a long list including better judges than me who have.  In my opinion Vaughan did nothing in a Latics shirt to suggest he'd push on higher.  Currently in his cameo appearances for Hull he's proving me wrong.  I'll still reserve judgement he'll make it at that level. 

Cameo 🤣🤣🤣 he started the last half dozen and won player of the month, I'd suggest not a bad start and you'd probably be better just admitting you got one wrong as defending your original view point is rather amusing.

2 hours ago, Lags said:

I do think a lot was expected from him given how early he was in and around the first team. He never quite lived up to it and didn't ever get the run he probably needed.

You could always see he was a gifted footballer though. His touch and the way he moved was miles better than owt else we had.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Cameo 🤣🤣🤣 he started the last half dozen and won player of the month, I'd suggest not a bad start and you'd probably be better just admitting you got one wrong as defending your original view point is rather amusing.

Time will tell.

22 hours ago, Simpo said:

There has been the odd question mark raised against Darren Royle's past, but he seems like he really knows his onions with football administration.

In that respect, the club has been crying out for someone like that since probably Alan Hardy was chief exec.

I think the plastic lot from the other side of Lancashire might disagree. But then again they were well run for a number of years and we've been appallingly run for years. I do think the Rothwells / Royles collaboration is doing wonders for the club and presumably the town too.

Personally I think it is more the case that we don't the money so aren't desperate to take a smaller fee to pay whatever bill needs paying that month. That includes not selling on sell-on fees.

16 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I think the plastic lot from the other side of Lancashire might disagree. But then again they were well run for a number of years and we've been appallingly run for years. I do think the Rothwells / Royles collaboration is doing wonders for the club and presumably the town too.

Personally I think it is more the case that we don't the money so aren't desperate to take a smaller fee to pay whatever bill needs paying that month. That includes not selling on sell-on fees.

yes we were defo an easy target under the snake oil salesman. different  story under Marco n that bc almost everybody was fuckin shoit. l personally think we didnt get enough for Harry, but that's just bc l'd have built my team around him.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

So how much did we get?

it wasn't in the millions so not enough for me as a none Football industry 100% not in any loop type no mark playing hypothetical manager on the internet.

l'll always think it wasnt enough, but l can also accept there are many reasons why it was the right decision for both our club and the player.

and obviously the right decision for Harry and the Éire Football chaps.

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What always makes me laugh is when people say- ‘he wasn’t ready for men’s football’  then he starts three divisions higher. . where I can only presume they don’t tackle. 😂

tbf he will be getting an extra second on the ball and the chances of a semi pro farmer getting his scythe out from behind isnt as high.

but yes l agree it does sound wrong.

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

tbf he will be getting an extra second on the ball and the chances of a semi pro farmer getting his scythe out from behind isnt as high.

but yes l agree it does sound wrong.

Of course he could get caught by a clod hopper, but there’s plenty of nasty bastards in the championship as well. Plus they are miles fitter, faster, and think quicker- giving him less time on the ball. And yet he plays. 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course he could get caught by a clod hopper, but there’s plenty of nasty bastards in the championship as well. Plus they are miles fitter, faster, and think quicker- giving him less time on the ball. And yet he plays. 

l knowww and l actually thought the Football was better in NL than it was in L2 altho that could have just been bc we didnt play very much. but 'no player is quicker than the ball' as coaches, managers n Captains like to often tell us, so the higher you go and the zippier the Football is played you get kind of get longer with the ball bc youve moved it away from the hunters if you get me? thats how it feels to me anyway. it mite only be milliseconds in reality and it may be just a perception or, yes, it mite be total bollocks!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l knowww and l actually thought the Football was better in NL than it was in L2 altho that could have just been bc we didnt play very much. but 'no player is quicker than the ball' as coaches, managers n Captains like to often tell us, so the higher you go and the zippier the Football is played you get kind of get longer with the ball bc youve moved it away from the hunters if you get me? thats how it feels to me anyway. it mite only be milliseconds in reality and it may be just a perception or, yes, it mite be total bollocks!

Yeah, that’s a fair shout. The pace of the game is much higher in championship, and therefore the ball does move quicker giving him less chance to be caught by one the ‘hunters’*

* I can’t get that ex copper of C4 hunted out of my head- find that little bastard and take him down. 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, that’s a fair shout. The pace of the game is much higher in championship, and therefore the ball does move quicker giving him less chance to be caught by one the ‘hunters’*

* I can’t get that ex copper of C4 hunted out of my head- find that little bastard and take him down. 😁

l used to hate him but then l read his book and could not help but highly respect the copper bastard!!

12 hours ago, League one forever said:

What always makes me laugh is when people say- ‘he wasn’t ready for men’s football’  then he starts three divisions higher. . where I can only presume they don’t tackle. 😂

You get far more time on the ball in the Championship (and Premiership) because creative players are light years ahead in skill levels and they move the ball around much more precisely to feet. So if you're a lumbering midfield player (an effective one, like Wokings, Borehamwood's etc) you'll get skinned in half a second with two passes as soon as you attempt the high press. Therefore they stand off when you have the ball and only use the press when judged right.

It's basically why Harry Vaughan was used sparingly by four managers at the club. He's a fantastic talent and we may have used him more if we were a L1 club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You get far more time on the ball in the Championship (and Premiership) because creative players are light years ahead in skill levels and they move the ball around much more precisely to feet. So if you're a lumbering midfield player (an effective one, like Wokings, Borehamwood's etc) you'll get skinned in half a second with two passes as soon as you attempt the high press. Therefore they stand off when you have the ball and only use the press when judged right.

It's basically why Harry Vaughan was used sparingly by four managers at the club. He's a fantastic talent and we may have used him more if we were a L1 club.

He's still only 19. It was right to use him sparingly for the most part. 

This season he should've got more games. Sheridan regretted not giving him more... Unsworth...

Stick by what I said in February. HV is an excellent, gifted player who could have been a real talisman for us. Most agree that we didn't need the money. If so, the decision is baffling. Nurtured correctly here, he may well have subsequently secured our financial future for years to come i.e. with what we could then have sold him for. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Stick by what I said in February. HV is an excellent, gifted player who could have been a real talisman for us. Most agree that we didn't need the money. If so, the decision is baffling. Nurtured correctly here, he may well have subsequently secured our financial future for years to come i.e. with what we could then have sold him for. 

he still could do tbf

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

The rumoured £200k plus add ons for a player that wasn't playing regularly for a non-league side is not something to sniff at.

If he wasn't going to regularly play then his value stagnates at best. We probably would have got a lot more money after a year or two of Harry playing regularly but he wasn't really part of the current manager's plans. Although the restrictions to 5 subs probably was a significant factor in that.

Hes forced himself into the side towards the end of the season would have been interesting to see if given a few more months that he would have done the same here.

From a purely football point of view it looks like a bad mistake to let him go, but their could have been other factors. Clubs have been sniffing round him for sometime and if he's got an agent it could be that he could have turned his head. Admittedly I'm speculating but their must be some logic behind letting go a clearly talented player, and also why multiple managers didn't pick him more regularly.

I don't agree with this notion that you can't succeed at this level but can at a higher one. He won't get anymore time on the ball in the championship than he will in the National League. Teams are encouraged more and more to press from the front at the highest level and that has filtered down the leagues.

Either way the move to Hull has worked out for him probably better so far than I and a few others expected.

Edited by GlossopLatic