Harry Vaughan debate...

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are correct, he's 18yo, David Eyres who I imagine was very lightweight as a teenager didn't blossom as a FL player until he was 25yo. 

We will regret it in future years if he moves to another club.

Eyresy was taller though and played out wide where his lack of "bulk" would have been less noticeable.

We can't keep Vaughan in mothballs till his mid twenties so should utilise him a lot more than we have. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

You are correct, he's 18yo, David Eyres who I imagine was very lightweight as a teenager didn't blossom as a FL player until he was 25yo. 

We will regret it in future years if he moves to another club.

Not sure if you went on Tuesday BP1960, but their goalscorer Chris Con Clarke, is about the same height as Harry but is a little older at 20. He also looked pretty solid and strong.

He had pace to burn and a fair amoount of skill, and in my view was the most dangerous player on the pitch.

Looks like he was released from Burnleys Academy, picked up by Fleetwood who loaned him out to Altricham.

From what I saw of him on Tuesday he looked far more acomplished than Harry but at 20 has struggled to break through in the EFL.

Out of choice and granted I have only seen one game, I'd take him over Vaughan every time.

I think Harrys lack of pace and physical strengh will mean he may never make it as a pro which will be a shame.

I hope i'm wrong.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

If you think publicly criticising a young fringe player is building his character and thus his confidence, then we’ll have to agree to disagree. 

By all means dig him out in the dressing room- or even better pull him in for a one to one and tell them him straight. But in public is a cheap shot, especially when there are players far far more experienced than him who haven’t got the bollocks he’s got to want the ball under pressure. . And escape any public criticism. 

Think this has been blown way out of proportion. Shock. He said he didn't close him down and he needs to work on that.

Facts.  Not exactly screaming he's a bag of shit into the microphone was he

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Think this has been blown way out of proportion. Shock. He said he didn't close him down and he needs to work on that.

Facts.  Not exactly screaming he's a bag of shit into the microphone was he

Love the irony of exaggerating your post to make a point about others blowing things out of proportion. 😂

No, he didn’t say he’s a bag of shit. He just blamed him and Okagbue for the goal. Doesn’t matter though, because they’re not listening to him anyway. And managers that criticise players publicly so early in their tenure can only be good a thing. . . 

32 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Love the irony of exaggerating your post to make a point about others blowing things out of proportion. 😂

No, he didn’t say he’s a bag of shit. He just blamed him and Okagbue for the goal. Doesn’t matter though, because they’re not listening to him anyway. And managers that criticise players publicly so early in their tenure can only be good a thing. . . 

Love the irony of using sarcasm to suggest that others believe it can only be a good thing to ‘criticise players publicly’ when that quite clearly that is not what the counter argument is 😂

How dare Unsworth point out that Vaughan didn’t close the player down for the goal?
Doesn’t big Dave know that little Harry’s ‘only a kid’? 

etc etc etc 😉

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Love the irony of using sarcasm to suggest that others believe it can only be a good thing to ‘criticise players publicly’ when that quite clearly that is not what the counter argument is 😂

How dare Unsworth point out that Vaughan didn’t close the player down for the goal?
Doesn’t big Dave know that little Harry’s ‘only a kid’? 

etc etc etc 😉

Again BD. Of course he can point it out- privately. Of course Harry has to take it on the chin- I just happen to think in this insistence he’s been unfairly highlighted. Would love to know Unsy’s thoughts on Rooney. . .

Do you think criticising (any player) in public so early on is a good sign? 

To me he sounds very Sheridan-Esque. With no self awareness. He knew the state of the squad, he knew he couldn’t turn over 20 players quickly. He refuses to play a system that will help a very limited squad. And instead had started to dig players out publicly- it never ends well IMO. 

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He looks out of his depth. And why wouldn't he be? Desperately needs some help from the owners, if that means paying over the odds for 2-3 players then so be it.

not going to happen…all of Frank's money is going to Blitz to ensure that crook walks away with a nice return after nearly destroying a community football club 

On 10/27/2022 at 6:29 PM, Londonboy said:

Not sure if you went on Tuesday BP1960, but their goalscorer Chris Con Clarke, is about the same height as Harry but is a little older at 20. He also looked pretty solid and strong.

He had pace to burn and a fair amoount of skill, and in my view was the most dangerous player on the pitch.

Looks like he was released from Burnleys Academy, picked up by Fleetwood who loaned him out to Altricham.

From what I saw of him on Tuesday he looked far more acomplished than Harry but at 20 has struggled to break through in the EFL.

Out of choice and granted I have only seen one game, I'd take him over Vaughan every time.

I think Harrys lack of pace and physical strengh will mean he may never make it as a pro which will be a shame.

I hope i'm wrong.

Said here last week before the game I'd take up Conn-Clarke's loan in January if possible and Colclough would push us back.

23 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

not going to happen…all of Frank's money is going to Blitz to ensure that crook walks away with a nice return after nearly destroying a community football club 

Give it a rest. Blitz didn't get us relegated twice very quickly - into non-league oblivion. That's the root cause of our current problems. You have no idea regarding the "deal" Frank struck so stop talking nonsense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

I reckon Vaughan'll have a couple of largely unsuccessful loan spells in the NLN before being released on a free in a couple of years' time... 

...sincerely hope I'm wrong, though. 

Not even on todays bench think hes been " a very naughty boy " 

7 hours ago, Lags said:

Vaughan won't make it above national league north. In fact, he'll ply his trade lower most his career. He's really not that good. 

Vaughan & Couto will be decent in time. This is not the right environment to blood our young players. Our desperate situation is hampering their development and I would get the pair of them out on loan somewhere asap.

I would also try and come to some sort of agreement with Porter, McGahey & Gardner too who are no good to us sat on their arses and not much better when they aren’t!

McGahey got his 2nd year by default but whoever agreed a contract for Porter and gave Gardner a 2 year deal wants shooting!

Like I’ve said before, how on earth did they pass their medicals!!

Get two solid midfielders in pronto, who can actually pass a football and maybe another winger/striker, get Hope & Hogan back fit and we should have enough to stay up.

I just hope the board are prepared to back Unsworth in the transfer market because If we are to mount any sort of promotion push next season then at least 70% of this lot will need shipping out!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lags said:

Vaughan won't make it above national league north. In fact, he'll ply his trade lower most his career. He's really not that good. 

Really hope he doesn't follow the non league  path of Andy Sweeney,  Matty Wolfendon, Carlos Roca, who were all very good at youth level. Incidentally, Carlos is now doing very well for himself as a UEFA B License holder / FA Youth Module Licensed Coach / Director Of Pro Football Academy Ltd / Football Consultant / Scout.

Edited by BP1960

16 hours ago, Lags said:

My guess is he'll end up on pretty decent money in someones U23's were the demands aren't as testing, after that who knows but the odds are probably against him for a number of reasons, he's got ability and wouldn't be the first not to be rated at BP by managers and fans alike yet go on to do just fine away from here, personal opinion is he's better than the level you're suggesting but it may be where he needs to ply his trade.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Really hope he doesn't follow the non league  path of Andy Sweeney,  Matty Wolfendon, Carlos Roca, who were all very good at youth level. Incidentally, Carlos is now doing very well for himself as a UEFA B License holder / FA Youth Module Licensed Coach / Director Of Pro Football Academy Ltd / Football Consultant / Scout.

I liked the look of Wolfenden when I first saw him play, but he never stepped up, didn't he end up at Wrexham?

Edited by hillside blue
poor grammar

• 7 months later...

Section from the Oldham Times today-

Royle cited Academy product Harry Vaughan's sale to Hull City as a recent example of this.

"Harry's done brilliantly. It was finding a platform where he could project himself and he's taken his chance and we wish him all the success, and if he achieves great things it's good all round," he explained.

"One thing the club has made sure of since we took over 10 months ago is that we've protected ourselves in all transactions, and all assets that we've looked to sell on.

"Sometimes you can't keep hold of a player if they want to leave and sometimes I think it's actually the right thing and I think Harry is a brilliant lad and it's just worked out well for him and it could do for us and Hull."

Certainly looks like we have a sell clause intact 

• Like 1