National League Thread

53 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I can count on one finger the number of games I enjoyed last season, if you think scraping home against some of the worst teams in the division and being outplayed by them is progress you crack on and live it up. 

I am with you on the number of games I saw which was  almost all of them.But I have given credit to Unsworth for the win ratio  this year.

I agree with those who say they'd  take a win no matter how dire  and it is a results game.

I was not happy with Unsworth before since he was clueless and always blaming someone or something else and I found that to be arrogant and why I called him El Supremo after  a film with Gregory Peck called Hornblower

Credit where credit is due though bar a couple of games like Wrexham and Altrincham he has turned us into a battling team who play for each other .

I'm looking forward to us  being one of the top sides  next season after some quality signings.

Edited by Flemboy
  • Like 2

Unsworth has proved he can grind results and however it comes you can’t fault winning football.

There seems to be an assumptive consensus that now he’s had a season to acclimatise,  the style will improve with better players. It won’t change at all in my view, he’s a defensive don’t lose type manager- and Rhinoball is here to stay.  Which is fine for me as long as he wins. . .

So the question/doubt is this - can you play must not lose all season to a top 3 finish. . Which given our budget and size and the fact Wrexham and notts have gone should be the target. 

46 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Unsworth has proved he can grind results and however it comes you can’t fault winning football.

There seems to be an assumptive consensus that now he’s had a season to acclimatise,  the style will improve with better players. It won’t change at all in my view, he’s a defensive don’t lose type manager- and Rhinoball is here to stay.  Which is fine for me as long as he wins. . .

So the question/doubt is this - can you play must not lose all season to a top 3 finish. . Which given our budget and size and the fact Wrexham and notts have gone should be the target. 

IF hes defensive then for me only a proper title challenge is acceptable

27 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

IF hes defensive then for me only a proper title challenge is acceptable

I think overall we get too hung up on style. I think we will evolve slightly next season to be better with the ball and create a few more chances. But the most exciting thing about next season is everytime we get a routine 2-0 win we will look at the league table on Saturday at 5pm and instead of seeing us move from 15th to 14th we will see us move from 5th to 4th or 2nd to 1st. As a result of this, the season will build and build until the real excitement comes at the end of the season when we go down the final stretch.

Many of our supporters haven't seen a proper promotion push and many of those that have, have forgotten what one feels like it builds and builds as the season goes on.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think overall we get too hung up on style. I think we will evolve slightly next season to be better with the ball and create a few more chances. But the most exciting thing about next season is everytime we get a routine 2-0 win we will look at the league table on Saturday at 5pm and instead of seeing us move from 15th to 14th we will see us move from 5th to 4th or 2nd to 1st. As a result of this, the season will build and build until the real excitement comes at the end of the season when we go down the final stretch.

Many of our supporters haven't seen a proper promotion push and many of those that have, have forgotten what one feels like it builds and builds as the season goes on.

I can see both sides of the argument here. The aim of any football match has to be to win the thing, as you don’t get points for artistic impression. But there has to be some form of entertainment and enjoyment though. I agree with you that, if we’re up there from the start and in the thick of a promotion push the games will seem better, even if in reality they’re not. Those 1-0 wins will be a lot more valuable and the atmosphere will be better.

I hope he lets off the leash more and am happy to give him the chance to sign better players and do so, but I can also understand those who don’t think it will happen.

He has improved as the results show. Whether it’s enough to lead us to a successful and enjoyable future, we can only hope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Can you still do it though ? can you walk behind the chaddy these days (not tried so genuine question ) from the shop to main entrance is three or four min walk at fatboy pace 

Yep you can, through the new houses bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think overall we get too hung up on style.

If style is just boring v’s entertainment then I agree, but it’s more than that. 

It’s a mentality shift from must not to lose to trying to win the game from the off. 

The siege mentality of having to grind out results has been a perfect foil for Unsworth’s football this season. 

It’s will need a very different mentality when the onus is us to win the vast majority games next season. 

Promotions aren’t won by trying not to lose first. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If style is just boring v’s entertainment then I agree, but it’s more than that. 

It’s a mentality shift from must not to lose to trying to win the game from the off. 

The siege mentality of having to grind out results has been a perfect foil for Unsworth’s football this season. 

It’s will need a very different mentality when the onus is us to win the vast majority games next season. 

Bang on the nail.

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

To be fair, we had been winning for the last few months of the season, but just not in a very attractive.

The Yeovil result shifted me a bit more towards the middle of the Unsworth debate.

He's got to keep the run going into next season, with no compromising.  I'll take promotion however it comes and worry about style once we're in the Football League.

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Totally agree Monty. 

Which is my worry. . .

I do think we’ll improve on this season but it will be top 8 and not top 3. 

Time will tell. 

tbh if we played better Football l could handle a rollercoaster play off loss, but if we are bypassing midfield for either Reid or Green to chase, or Nuttall to flick followed by Reid or Green to chase, then l want a title challenge.

cant spell entitled wo title.

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

l saw flashes of Football last season and l think we will be much better this coming season. by 'defensive' l dont mean counter attacking l mean 8/9 players sit on the edge of our own box for 20mins 'soaking' then finally a loose ball GO GO GO cobble two passes together then launchhhh it rugby style into the corners for fast people to chase. makes me feel sick.

Edited by Monty Burns
tidier. l think.

44 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's got to keep the run going into next season, with no compromising. 

. . and that is the question. 

Will he be brave enough to win games when he has to, or will his cautious instincts kick in. I think his current style will see us kick on again. (I agree with you, he’s back to par now) 

But like I said before.  

You do enough to stay up. 

But you win a title/promotion. 

There’s a difference 

Just now, League one forever said:

. . and that is the question. 

Will he be brave enough to win games when he has to, or will his cautious instincts kick in. I think his current style will see us kick on again. (I agree with you, he’s back to par now) 

But like I said before.  

You do enough to stay up. 

But you win a title/promotion. 

There’s a difference 

To be fair though. 

I’ve doubted him before and he’s proved me wrong. 

So let’s hope he can do it again. 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

tbh if we played better Football l could handle a rollercoaster play off loss, but if we are bypassing midfield for either Reid or Green to chase, or Nuttall to flick followed by Reid or Green to chase, then l want a title challenge.

cant spell entitled wo title.

Wrexham played with a big Number 9 last season in Palmer who they fired balls at for alot of the season and also launched long throws into the box. This is how Phil Parkinson played at Bradford and Bolton and won promotions with them too.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone in North Wales complaining about the lack of entertainment at the racecourse this season. I think Unsworth wants to follow this model certainly when you hear about him trying to find a long throw expert. They also had the likes of Elliot Lee and Paul Mullin who can play abit too.

I don't mind us going direct aslong as its done effectively. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wrexham played with a big Number 9 last season in Palmer who they fired at balls at for alot of the season and also launched long throws into the box which is how Phil Parkinson played at Bradford and Bolton and won promotions with them too. You will be hard pressed to find anyone in North Wales complaining about the lack of entertainment at the racecourse this season. I think Unsworth wants to follow this model certainly when you hear about him trying to find a long throw expert. They also had the likes of Elliot Lee and Paul Mullin who can play abit too. I don't mind us going direct aslong as its done effectively. 

Agreed. Results improved massively, and playing style improved a little bit between January and April as well. Not massively, but it was definitely better. I see no reason why it can't keep improving once better players come in over the summer. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wrexham played with a big Number 9 last season in Palmer who they fired balls at for alot of the season and also launched long throws into the box. This is how Phil Parkinson played at Bradford and Bolton and won promotions with them too.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone in North Wales complaining about the lack of entertainment at the racecourse this season. I think Unsworth wants to follow this model certainly when you hear about him trying to find a long throw expert. They also had the likes of Elliot Lee and Paul Mullin who can play abit too.

I don't mind us going direct aslong as its done effectively. 

If we score 116 league goals next season I doubt many will be complaining about a lack of entertainment 

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l saw flashes of Football last season and l think we will be much better this coming season. by 'defensive' l dont mean counter attacking l mean 8/9 players sit on the edge of our own box for 20mins 'soaking' then finally a loose ball GO GO GO cobble two passes together then launchhhh it rugby style into the corners for fast people to chase. makes me feel sick.

It worked against Southend.

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

If we score 116 league goals next season I doubt many will be complaining about a lack of entertainment 

Oh absolutely, having said wasn't their a stat flying about recently that we were something like the 3rd highest goalscorers in the league in 2023 after Wrexham and Notts.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh absolutely, having said wasn't their a stat flying about recently that we were something like the 3rd highest goalscorers in the league in 2023 after Wrexham and Notts.

Stats also suggest we're high up the table in terms of scorelines after the first 15 minutes or the last 15 minutes. Top 7 for both. Although I did get that from transfermarkt so not sure if totally accurate or more like their transfer values.

If accurate though it doesn't back up the often made claim that we set up to be cautious or end games by retreating and conceding.