National League Thread

49 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not sure it's just budgets, more just simple geography. 

I'm not sure geography is ultimately all that relevant except in the inescapable fact that professional football clubs are clustered in some parts of the country, like the north west obviously, and less so in others like Devon and Cornwall, East Anglia, Hereford and Worcs for example. My point was rather that the dice are more stacked than ever against lower league and non league clubs when compared to the wealthy elite. When a Bury FC or (hopefully not) Rochdale FC bites the dust while PL clubs pay vastly inflated transfer fees for one footed players, the game is not in a good place.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'm not sure geography is ultimately all that relevant except in the inescapable fact that professional football clubs are clustered in some parts of the country, like the north west obviously, and less so in others like Devon and Cornwall, East Anglia, Hereford and Worcs for example. My point was rather that the dice are more stacked than ever against lower league and non league clubs when compared to the wealthy elite. When a Bury FC or (hopefully not) Rochdale FC bites the dust while PL clubs pay vastly inflated transfer fees for one footed players, the game is not in a good place.

I think it's relevant for real outposts, and Cornwall is certainly that 

This gives a very good report on the original Stadium For Cornwall plans that fell by the wayside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_for_Cornwall

And this is the latest update: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stadium-cornwall-site-become-truro-8879206

Trouble is, things are done dreckly here in Cornwall, and it's anyone's guess when anything will be built, especiallyn if Cormac are involved.

1 minute ago, TamarBridgeLatics said:

This gives a very good report on the original Stadium For Cornwall plans that fell by the wayside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_for_Cornwall

And this is the latest update: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stadium-cornwall-site-become-truro-8879206

Trouble is, things are done dreckly here in Cornwall, and it's anyone's guess when anything will be built, especiallyn if Cormac are involved.

Are Cormac the contractors on the A30 upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Are Cormac the contractors on the A30 upgrade. 

No, it's Costain. Cormac are more local, CORnish MAintenanCe for the council. Mostly roads and other organised cock ups and removing stuff from the Great Wall of Cornwall on the A39 https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-great-wall-china-quacking-9130388. Then again, at least Cormac would have built Cornish hedges and not dry stone walling that collapsed after three months on the Chivvy upgrade, it's now due to be completed by the start of the summer. As I said, doing it dreckly.

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I totally get furore about player wages, although they are what they are, but transfer fees are only paid to other football clubs - typically smaller ones

On 2/29/2024 at 11:48 AM, Gaz_Oafc said:

Rochdale set to be 'saved from liquidation' after entering into a period of exclusivity with a US Investor.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/29/rochdale-football-club-set-to-be-saved-from-liquidation-threat-by-us-investor

Good luck to them… which is more than most of their fans wished Bury and us in our darkest days. They still gloat and stick the boot in on Bury on a regular basis in their rather creepy and obsessive 350 page thread on the subject. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Good luck to them… which is more than most of their fans wished Bury and us in our darkest days. They still gloat and stick the boot in on Bury on a regular basis in their rather creepy and obsessive 350 page thread on the subject. 

Correct, worrying times if you start to become like them. 

23 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Still potentially a treacherous situation putting your club into the hands of a 'foreign investor'. Venkys, anyone? Glazers? Lemsagem?

City Liverpool and Arsenal are owned by foreign investors as are Wrexham so it can work out. Also the example of people like Chris Moore to a lesser extent Simon Corney and to a far worse extent Stewart Day an Steve Dale aren't exactly ringing endorsements of British owners either to name but a few.

It depends very much on the character of the individual although I do believe the fact that the Rothwells are locals who I believe possess a sense of civic duty probably serves as an advantage to us.

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

Still potentially a treacherous situation putting your club into the hands of a 'foreign investor'. Venkys, anyone? Glazers? Lemsagem?

Yep, there have never been any dodgy British owners.

38 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

The preferred bidder for Rochdale has a whiff of those who bought Crawley. I can see Crawley dropping back into the Conference in the next few years.

Don't worry, the football authorities will see straight through any Inproper owners. 

Edited by disjointed
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Dorking 1 up v Chesterfield.

Should really be 3.

Dorking peppering.

Fantastic first 11 minutes.

Edit: 39 year old Barry Fuller leading the line for Dorking.

Just seen the best tackle since 1975 by Barry Fuller.

Took the ball cleanly, the man (Berry) brutally and just got up and jogged off

Dorking are by far the better side.

Marc White said that they need to score 3 or 4 to stand any chance.

Should be that already!

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

They’ve either turned the mics off or this has the atmosphere of a village cricket match. 

Ha! I thought the same.

When Dorking scored their second, I swear I heard a Howzattt?

• Like 1