Unsworth

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I'm sure they wouldn't. 

Team that day:

Woods; Hamer, Wheater, Iacovitti, Smith-Brown; Sylla, Nepomuceno, Branger, Fage, Eagles; Desire Segbe Azankpo

Subs: Mills (for Nepomuceno), Scott Wilson (for Eagles), Sonhy Sefil (for Branger).

Sohny Sefil is the worst player I've seen play for Oldham. 

Hamer gets in this current side comfortably, Wheater might if he hadn't retired, but as he played last at Conference North Darlington, he might not. Iacovitti is apparently playing at Port Vale but I'd be interested to know if people think he gets in this current side. Woods is Exeter's #2, but as he wasn't always our #1 he might not get in.

Given that of the 9 players "still" playing in England (including the aforementioned Wheater), only Hamer and Iacovitti are regularly playing higher than us. Wheater, Smith-Brown, Fage, Wilson and Mills all last played at a team at best in the league below. Sylla threw his dummy out at Hartlepool and has been dropped from their squad but is still under contract.

I can't see many people who'd have Branger ahead of our current wide options. Nepomuceno might invoke a discussion, as he was clearly the best of the #FrenchLads, but last played in England at Halifax. Eagles is long since retired and Desire Segbe Azankpo would probably be our 8th choice Centre-Forward. Some would have the kid on loan at Colne, Forshaw, ahead of him.

Nepomuceno isn't French and that team still drew with a team that is now 2 divisions above us unfortunately 

8 hours ago, PeteG said:

Exactly, we get too far adrift, we will have to play like champions to make the play-offs. I don't know the answer to this but how many points did Shez have after how many games when he was sacked? Don't come at me with this mutual decision bollocks, i spoke to Shez and Tommy, they were both sacked, in fact Tommy wasn't even told even after they announced Unsworth and Ebrell, so still turned up. This is obviously the benchmark for the board and CEO. 

Bore off Pete. We all know you you don't like your mates not being involved anymore

8 hours ago, PeteG said:

Exactly, we get too far adrift, we will have to play like champions to make the play-offs. I don't know the answer to this but how many points did Shez have after how many games when he was sacked? Don't come at me with this mutual decision bollocks, i spoke to Shez and Tommy, they were both sacked, in fact Tommy wasn't even told even after they announced Unsworth and Ebrell, so still turned up. This is obviously the benchmark for the board and CEO. 

Bore off Pete. We all know you you don't like your mates not being involved anymore

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve_R said:

How come you defend Unsworth to the hilt, saying he’s not had enough time to build a team despite heavy backing, because of the mess he inherited, yet slaughter Shez at every opportunity, who had no backing and took over an even bigger mess?

Never said he hasn't had time to build a team.

Regarding Sheri, the man took us out of the Football League in a whimper, losing 12 out of 14 in the process.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He has some really valid points, there isn't a reason in the world why he shouldn't post them on here, I don't agree with everything he says but that is just opinions. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Shall we all ignore Mike Halliwell please.

Like his mate he doesn't care about Oldham Athletic he's only out for himself and justbwants his finger in the pie. He will only churp up when We lose.

I've no idea who he is, but why can't you just take some of his (salient) points at face value?

Edited by JoeP

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

He has some really valid points, there isn't a reason in the world why he shouldn't post them on here, I don't agree with everything he says but that is just opinions. 

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I've no idea who he is, but why can't you just take some of his (salient) points at face value?

To be fair, nothing has been said about his comments re the team and manager. It's only when the digs at the board and Darren Royle come in does it get people's backs up.  Of course our board isn't immune from criticism if it's warranted, but those sort of attacks are the MO for our esteemed former Senior Club Advisor and his lackeys so I think it's worth adding that context.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To be fair, nothing has been said about his comments re the team and manager. It's only when the digs at the board and Darren Royle come in does it get people's backs up.  Of course our board isn't immune from criticism if it's warranted, but those sort of attacks are the MO for our esteemed former Senior Club Advisor and his lackeys so I think it's worth adding that context.

What would Ackey say, "debate the post not the poster". Does it matter who anyone aligns with. 

11 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's been suggested we should ignore him because of his potential ulterior motives.  Avoiding the points he makes just comes across as not really having a decent answer, to be honest...

33 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Because he's being disingenuous and is pedalling an agenda. While I don't agree on people saying constantly sack the manager because all the evidence shows that it's a strategy that's failed. I do believe that it's coming from people who do deep down have the right intentions for the club at heart.

So someone like yourself I may agree to disagree with compared to him who I can't take anything he says seriously.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Of course we should, as a guide 15 points off the top last season was 3 points off the playoffs. Anyone who says that isn't in promotion contention with 2/3 of the season left to play is deluding themselves.

I hate the phrase ‘only x amount of points off the play offs’. Once the table settles down, say after 15 games, if we are three points behind seventh place then we are massively underachieving and could be in the bottom half. That’s not being In promotion contention to me.

I agree with you that it’s far too early to say how the season will go just yet though.

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

I hate the phrase ‘only x amount of points off the play offs’. Once the table settles down, say after 15 games, if we are three points behind seventh place then we are massively underachieving and could be in the bottom half. That’s not being In promotion contention to me.

I agree with you that it’s far too early to say how the season will go just yet though.

The playoffs are in the promotion  race. If you are only 1 win from the playoffs you are in promotion contention, unless it is mathematically impossible to get promoted, which is usually impossible until 45 games have been played. 

If we are 1 win outside the playoffs after 46 games, we will have underachieved and discussions will need to be had about keeping Unsworth, if he is still here. 

If we are 1 win outside the playoffs after 15 games he deserves a chance of putting us in the playoffs after 46 games, as he has shown already how improved he can get the team in the 2nd half of the season.

Yes we should be better than just being in the playoffs or within touching distance of them. But we should be better than playing in the 5th division. 

12 hours ago, PeteG said:

Nepomuceno isn't French and that team still drew with a team that is now 2 divisions above us unfortunately 

Yes I know Nepomuceno is from Curaçao and I know that Curaçao is Dutch, I also know that the #FrenchLads was used to describe all the usually naff imports from the former owner, even if they weren’t French. 

Yeah but that wasn’t my point, my point is that team was crap and your mate was clapping like a demented seal as we played 6 at the back to scrape a draw against that massive footballing powerhouse, Exeter. You said that team wipes the floor with this team and I point out that the majority of that team most recently played in the division below us. The current team doesn’t lose against that team, because no-one in that team is scoring, especially not Desire. I’d be worried about that team staying in this division. 

I was inclined to keep going but @GlossopLatic has already said the jist of what I was going to say and @mcfluff1985 has already succinctly added additional context for those unaware of who @PeteGis

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

The playoffs are in the promotion  race. If you are only 1 win from the playoffs you are in promotion contention, unless it is mathematically impossible to get promoted, which is usually impossible until 45 games have been played. 

If we are 1 win outside the playoffs after 46 games, we will have underachieved and discussions will need to be had about keeping Unsworth, if he is still here. 

If we are 1 win outside the playoffs after 15 games he deserves a chance of putting us in the playoffs after 46 games, as he has shown already how improved he can get the team in the 2nd half of the season.

Yes we should be better than just being in the playoffs or within touching distance of them. But we should be better than playing in the 5th division. 

If we are mid table or worse after 15 games, which is we’re 3 points off seventh may we’ll put us, he’ll have shown he has taken us backwards from last season despite such heavy backing.

With the squad we now have it shouldn’t be possible to be lower than seventh, and we shouldn’t be even thinking that way. I expect the board to think around the playoffs is acceptable so I don’t see him as being under any pressure, unless he totally fucks up.

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

If we are 15 points from the playoffs after 15 games, Unsworth will be gone. We would have hit a deeper bottom than the aforementioned Halifax home game last season.

We are 3 points adrift after 3 games. We won't be 15 points adrift after 15 games.

Chill TF out.

I'm always pretty chilled out thanks...and thanks for your concern.

You actually make some valid points but also some pretty tame/flakey ones.

So just so we are clear, where would YOU be happy for us to be sitting points wise by the end of September? As you rightly say are still 2nd favourites to go up and expectation is high everywhere it seems...(13 games in and nearly 30% into the season)? 

I'd genuinely be interested to get your view on what you think would be a fair return.

In the jobs I've had, as a sales director for some of the biggest global consumer electronic business', if I had the complete backing of the organisation, and I constantly achieved below their minimum expectation, plus I'd rubbed my team and our customers up the wrong way, with what seemed like a completely scattergun and flawed approach and a non approachable manner I'd be on very thin ice!

I'd either have been asked to leave already or been told to present a revised plan, to hit specific short term targets and a longer term goal. 

Specifics are key in any performance management scenario, with regular benchmarking and review, and if things improve and turn around that's all everyone really wants. If it doesn't your usually gone!

After 50 plus games under Unsworth I'd hope our board are taking a similar view. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, disjointed said:

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

As @nzlatic said, he's just here to slag the current board off after a few posts. Same thing every time.

I'll disagree with @yarddog73 @JoeP @Littlemoor Lad all day long on a few things, but as has been said, at least they're here to debate where we are now, what they think is best for the club etc as much as we disagree. @PeteG can disappear down the same hole as his mates for all i care.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

I'm always pretty chilled out thanks...and thanks for your concern.

You actually make some valid points but also some pretty tame/flakey ones.

So just so we are clear, where would YOU be happy for us to be sitting points wise by the end of September? As you rightly say are still 2nd favourites to go up and expectation is high everywhere it seems...(13 games in and nearly 30% into the season)? 

I'd genuinely be interested to get your view on what you think would be a fair return.

In the jobs I've had, as a sales director for some of the biggest global consumer electronic business', if I had the complete backing of the organisation, and I constantly achieved below their minimum expectation, plus I'd rubbed my team and our customers up the wrong way, with what seemed like a completely scattergun and flawed approach and a non approachable manner I'd be on very thin ice!

I'd either have been asked to leave already or been told to present a revised plan, to hit specific short term targets and a longer term goal. 

Specifics are key in any performance management scenario, with regular benchmarking and review, and if things improve and turn around that's all everyone really wants. If it doesn't your usually gone!

After 50 plus games under Unsworth I'd hope our board are taking a similar view. 

Great post. 

People seem to want to wait and use the fact we are only 3 games into the current season as an excuse. 

Fact of the matter is we are underperforming so far and you cant just hold off and do nothing in the hope it comes good. 15 games in is a substantial amount of the season essentially written off and we are once again playing catch up.

He needs a positive return over the next couple of games and if not he has to go. If the board is as competent as it’s made out to be (which I have no reason to believe it’s not) they should already have an idea of replacements if required. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Great post. 

People seem to want to wait and use the fact we are only 3 games into the current season as an excuse. 

Fact of the matter is we are underperforming so far and you cant just hold off and do nothing in the hope it comes good. 15 games in is a substantial amount of the season essentially written off and we are once again playing catch up.

He needs a positive return over the next couple of games and if not he has to go. If the board is as competent as it’s made out to be (which I have no reason to believe it’s not) they should already have an idea of replacements if required. 

It isn't an excuse to say we are three games into the season, it is a fact...