Playing Squad - Summer 23

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You've proved my point.  Bowen isn't a winger as they used to be.  My money is on Doku fading away; show pony

He was for England. Very direct, beat his man, either got ball in or cut in for a shot

Don’t shoot the messenger but a Tranmere fan who’s very ITK their side who I’m pally with reckons we are well in for 2 of their players and may have deals agreed in principle already for summer. 

36 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but a Tranmere fan who’s very ITK their side who I’m pally with reckons we are well in for 2 of their players and may have deals agreed in principle already for summer. 

Somebody mentioned recently we were in line for RB Dan Pike.  Don't  know much about him.

I  know MM likes a left-footed CB and Jordan Turnbull is out of contract. MM also signed midfielder Chris Merrie from Wigan and his deal is also up.

All will be revealed., but we are entering that time of year when the rumour mill gets into full swing. Can't wait!

On 3/25/2024 at 3:18 PM, yarddog73 said:

As things stand these will be the contacted players going in to next season, do we have the nucleus of a promotion chasing squad?. I suspect Mellon would be happy if half a dozen of them found themselves a new club but I can't see that happening.

17 players there already which is some wage bill.

If we can lose Shelton, Ward, Willoughby, Nuttall, probably Reid and possibly Lundstram then I'd be pleased.

I am optimistic the remaining 11 or 12 could play a part in a successful squad.

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Jack Grealish certainly can't.  

He's so telegraphed now he's not a threat he should be

Grealish and Doku took Villa apart last night

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

If we can lose Shelton, Ward, Willoughby, Nuttall, probably Reid and possibly Lundstram then I'd be pleased.

I am optimistic the remaining 11 or 12 could play a part in a successful squad.

Lundstram? Nah…

• Like 2

The fickleness of fans in regard of signings can be readily demonstrated via Joe Garner's recruitment.

When he arrived many (me included) wondered why we were signing a 35 year old striker, particularly when our main man is also in the latter stages of his career.

Then he scored a few gals and his recruitment was an act of genius.  His abilities in the dark arts were seen as what we had been missing.

Now he's on a barren run and his shithousery is embarrassing.

And our prospects next year are not seen as being enhanced with a first choice forward line with an aggregate age of three score years and ten

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The fickleness of fans in regard of signings can be readily demonstrated via Joe Garner's recruitment.

When he arrived many (me included) wondered why we were signing a 35 year old striker, particularly when our main man is also in the latter stages of his career.

Then he scored a few gals and his recruitment was an act of genius.  His abilities in the dark arts were seen as what we had been missing.

Now he's on a barren run and his shithousery is embarrassing.

And our prospects next year are not seen as being enhanced with a first choice forward line with an aggregate age of three score years and ten

Sort out the midfield and get a couple of decent wingers in and I expect those two would bag for fun!!

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Sort out the midfield and get a couple of decent wingers in and I expect those two would bag for fun!!

What's Garner's current injury status?  And Norwood's had a hamstring issue.  They tend not to get more robust with time.

Don't think there is anything wrong with having the nous of experienced forwards, preferably not as a starting pair, but we're crying out for pace and running power alongside- - as Stones showed. 

Bottom line though is more midfield control/creativity 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We have 2 in Atherton and Walker, but have never been played together. We will regret not giving Walker a proper run, he will go on to play at a far higher level than us.

31 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If we could get back most of our outlay by selling Norwood in the summer would that be worth consideration?

We didn’t pay a fee, so we’d be reliant on someone paying fee to claw back his wages and I don’t see anyone paying a fee for him at this stage of his career. 

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We have 2 in Atherton and Walker, but have never been played together. We will regret not giving Walker a proper run, he will go on to play at a far higher level than us.

I've resisted responding to any of your posts for some months now as you seem to take any question as some sort of personal affront.  They're not - they're just questions.  I'm not in the business of trying to wind anyone up so I'll try once more and stress that this is just a question.

Walker's career summary so far (Wikipedia may be wrong of course) starting from September 2020 which was when he made his full debut at FL level.

Full season loan from Preston to Carlisle but only played 4 league games and the loan was terminated in January 2021

Moved to Fylde, then in NLN.  Only played in 2 games due to injury

In November 2021 moved back to Fylde on loan and played 5 games before heading back to Preston in January 2022

In May 2022 signed for Blackburn but yet to appear in their first team

September 2023 sent on loan to Morecambe but recalled due to lack of game time

January 2024 joined us but barely sighted.

My question comes with no side, no implication.  It is just one borne of interest and curiosity.  What have you seen of him and where that suggests we should be playing him as a regular starter and that he'll go on to play much higher?

38 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've resisted responding to any of your posts for some months now as you seem to take any question as some sort of personal affront.  They're not - they're just questions.  I'm not in the business of trying to wind anyone up so I'll try once more and stress that this is just a question.

Walker's career summary so far (Wikipedia may be wrong of course) starting from September 2020 which was when he made his full debut at FL level.

Full season loan from Preston to Carlisle but only played 4 league games and the loan was terminated in January 2021

Moved to Fylde, then in NLN.  Only played in 2 games due to injury

In November 2021 moved back to Fylde on loan and played 5 games before heading back to Preston in January 2022

In May 2022 signed for Blackburn but yet to appear in their first team

September 2023 sent on loan to Morecambe but recalled due to lack of game time

January 2024 joined us but barely sighted.

My question comes with no side, no implication.  It is just one borne of interest and curiosity.  What have you seen of him and where that suggests we should be playing him as a regular starter and that he'll go on to play much higher?

BLOCKED

• Like 2

To @Dave_Og I've seen Walker play and not gone off past statistics.

My judgement is based on watching many similar players who have gone higher than us.

I did the same with Adam Crowther of Kings Lynn (now a regular at Southend) who you queried my judgement last season.

Is that answer okay with you?

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

To @Dave_Og I've seen Walker play and not gone off past statistics.

My judgement is based on watching many similar players who have gone higher than us.

I did the same with Adam Crowther of Kings Lynn (now a regular at Southend) who you queried my judgement last season.

Is that okay with you?

Intentional or otherwise 'is that OK with you' seems somewhat passive aggressive.

Feel free to dig up a post where I criticised (queried seems perfectly reasonable to me) your judgement re Adam Crowther.  All I can recall saying abut him was that I'd once played golf with him when he was a scratch handicap junior at my club.  I've never seen him play football.

Re Walker I was just interested how you'd formed an opinion as he's barely played anywhere,  I assumed you'd 'seen him play' but I was kind of interested in how often and at what level as my very limited understanding of how scouting works was that opinions would be based on multiple views.  After all, we've all seen very good players have awful games and we've all seen players who played well once but ultimately delivered little.

It didn't seem an unreasonable question but I'll revert to non-engagement as clearly nothing to be gained

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We will regret not giving Walker a proper run, he will go on to play at a far higher level than us.

I have seen absolutely nothing from Walker to suggest he can even play at our level! 😮

• Like 1