Playing Squad - Summer 23

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I have seen absolutely nothing from Walker to suggest he can even play at our level! 😮

I'll have a bet he goes higher in the next couple of years.

Walker was very, very weak defensively when he played RM/RW v. Dagenham, remniscent of Ben Tollitt. I thought he was lucky not to get pulled at HT. His defensive weakness will militate against him being considered for selection anywhere but the frontline. Even in a 433 I would imagine he would be expected to tuck into a 451 when out of possession.

So unfortunately, despite his potential going forward it is very difficult to pick him in a league as competitive as ours.  

7 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Walker was very, very weak defensively when he played RM/RW v. Dagenham, remniscent of Ben Tollitt. I thought he was lucky not to get pulled at HT. His defensive weakness will militate against him being considered for selection anywhere but the frontline. Even in a 433 I would imagine he would be expected to tuck into a 451 when out of possession.

So unfortunately, despite his potential going forward it is very difficult to pick him in a league as competitive as ours.  

Came highly recommended from David Eyres and he should know all about left wingers.

I feel Walker has been used badly by MM and needs a run in the team in his best position, which is not where he was played at Dagenham.

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Came highly recommended from David Eyres and he should know all about left wingers.

I feel Walker has been used badly by MM and needs a run in the team in his best position, which is not where he was played at Dagenham.

That's all very true @BP1960, and 45 minutes or so isn't enough to form a reliable opinion on a player.

35 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

That's all very true @BP1960, and 45 minutes or so isn't enough to form a reliable opinion on a player.

Maybe he’s not doing it in training too? He was recalled from his last loan due to a lack of game time so it’s a bit strange to say the least!

Edited by oafc1955

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Eyresey is his agent, so he's bound to recommend him to clients.

When he arrived he struggled with a niggly injury, didn't he? I don't think it was entirely down to MM not fancying him. For him to go on record saying we're suffering with a lack of wide players, it doesn't align with being 'badly used by MM'.

Sometimes it appears to the average passer by that you've an agenda against management because they don't or didn't listen to you. Would that be a fair assessment?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Eyresey is his agent, so he's bound to recommend him to clients.

When he arrived he struggled with a niggly injury, didn't he? I don't think it was entirely down to MM not fancying him. For him to go on record saying we're suffering with a lack of wide players, it doesn't align with being 'badly used by MM'.

Sometimes it appears to the average passer by that you've an agenda against management because they don't or didn't listen to you. Would that be a fair assessment?

I don't like his style of play, chopping and changing or playing square pegs in round holes. 

I say what I see and perhaps a few others should too instead of making excuses.

In all my 60 years watching the Latics I've never seen a team as booed off the field as much as this one -and I've seen  some very poor teams in that time.

Let's see what he does about it next season, I'm prepared to see  what happens.

If he can find a few more like Josh Stones it may not be as bad again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I don't like his style of play, chopping and changing or playing square pegs in round holes. 

I say what I see and perhaps a few others should too instead of making excuses.

In all my 60 years watching the Latics I've never seen a team as booed off the field as much as this one -and I've seen  some very poor teams in that time.

Let's see what he does about it next season, I'm prepared to see  what happens.

If he can find a few more like Josh Stones it may not be as bad again.

TBF BP the booing is more symptomatic of society nowadays, years ago we took the football for what it was. I blame social media. 

• Like 2

I've never been one to boo the player's off,

If they've done what's expected of them I'll clap till my hands are sore

I do tend to head for the exit as soon as when I've been unhappy with what I've seen and that should be enough 

52 minutes ago, disjointed said:

TBF BP the booing is more symptomatic of society nowadays, years ago we took the football for what it was. I blame social media. 

Remember Marc White (Dorking) saying that numerically Latics had great support but, and I paraphrase,  they are a fickle lot who soon turn - making it less daunting for visiting teams.

Oh, and he forecast we would finish 8th.

I 'm not part of the Marc White fan club, but he may have a point!

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I've never been one to boo the player's off,

If they've done what's expected of them I'll clap till my hands are sore

I do tend to head for the exit as soon as when I've been unhappy with what I've seen and that should be enough 

That’s very fair of you. TBH I’m the same, I don’t think I’ve ever booed Latics off, just fled as soon as the whistle goes and got as far away as possible. It’s fine to say that fans pay their money so have the right to boo, I get it, but it’s not like complaining about a product or service in the real world. This is football, and it’s our club, that we love in spite of everything. I just walk away, always have, or, worse, don’t go to the game.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That’s very fair of you. TBH I’m the same, I don’t think I’ve ever booed Latics off, just fled as soon as the whistle goes and got as far away as possible. It’s fine to say that fans pay their money so have the right to boo, I get it, but it’s not like complaining about a product or service in the real world. This is football, and it’s our club, that we love in spite of everything. I just walk away, always have, or, worse, don’t go to the game.

The booers (is that a proper word), are a minority, I'm like you, applaud them off when we win or play well, other than that it's a head down hasty exit. 

• Like 2

Just had a scroll through Twitter.

There are genuinely individuals of apparent sound mind wanting James Norwood gone.

Give the moody fucker some service and he’d have us in the top 3 alone. 

For some reason Mellon and Brabin have decided that thug ball was the way to in order to secure the play-offs. It’s failed spectacularly. Change the style for next season and we will see huge results with Norwood. With Grigg gone, there is no one near his quality in the division.

I know there is a strange obsession applied by some of the fans when someone donning blue and white colours runs around a bit but c’mon…

If we’re not challenging for the top 3 next season I am genuinely going to stop watching Oldham and get into crown green bowls or something.

It’s too fckn depressing. 

To have the best chance of making that top 3, why the on earth wouldn’t you want to have someone of Norwood’s quality?

To be honest, with his reported salary, will he get much better elsewhere? 

On 4/3/2024 at 9:14 PM, Boyyou said:

Somebody mentioned recently we were in line for RB Dan Pike.  Don't  know much about him.

I  know MM likes a left-footed CB and Jordan Turnbull is out of contract. MM also signed midfielder Chris Merrie from Wigan and his deal is also up.

All will be revealed., but we are entering that time of year when the rumour mill gets into full swing. Can't wait!

Best time of the year. Definitely better than when the football restarts on the evidence of the last 30 years!

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Just had a scroll through Twitter.

There are genuinely individuals of apparent sound mind wanting James Norwood gone.

Give the moody fucker some service and he’d have us in the top 3 alone. 

For some reason Mellon and Brabin have decided that thug ball was the way to in order to secure the play-offs. It’s failed spectacularly. Change the style for next season and we will see huge results with Norwood. With Grigg gone, there is no one near his quality in the division.

I know there is a strange obsession applied by some of the fans when someone donning blue and white colours runs around a bit but c’mon…

If we’re not challenging for the top 3 next season I am genuinely going to stop watching Oldham and get into crown green bowls or something.

It’s too fckn depressing. 

To have the best chance of making that top 3, why the on earth wouldn’t you want to have someone of Norwood’s quality?

To be honest, with his reported salary, will he get much better elsewhere? 

Said it months ago, Norwood will leave and we will regret it. The opportunity to have the stand out striker in the league has passed us by. 

Like you say, he’s a poacher and he rarely gets a chance created for him. Hence the frustration. 

Keeping Norwood is a no brainer for me but he needs to be a little less of an "individual" and try to integrate into a team that will be built around him.

Several times yesterday he took on ridiculously speculative shots when a more controlled approach could have been profitable.

Kitching's crossing was again pretty poor, standing up crosses at the far post as if we've got Jim Fryatt lurking in the penalty area !

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Norwood fanboys can scream and shout all they want, the guy hasn't performed, hasn't lived up to expectations and is probably exhausting to be around.

It’s a bit of both. 

He’s come in to an inconsistent side with no width or pace and we don’t create for him. 

And 

He hasn’t helped the situation with his attitude. 

The net result is- the move hasn’t worked out as we all hoped it would. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Said it months ago, Norwood will leave and we will regret it. The opportunity to have the stand out striker in the league has passed us by. 

Like you say, he’s a poacher and he rarely gets a chance created for him. Hence the frustration. 

His 5k a week has probably kept us away from a relegation battle but if he stays we’d better give him better service next season. With decent wide players and a proper midfield I have no doubt he would score 30+ but £500k is a lot of dosh just to stick around in this division!!

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

His 5k a week has probably kept us away from a relegation battle but if he stays we’d better give him better service next season. With decent wide players and a proper midfield I have no doubt he would score 30+ but £500k is a lot of dosh just to stick around in this division!!

He's had one thirty goal season in his career and it was five years ago...