Playing Squad - Summer 23

2 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

Reckon a team will take a punt on Kurt and maybe even Shelton, i can see us paying a couple off too, certainly Reid. 

I think we’ll be stuck with Ward and Nuttall at the very least personally. Maybe we can offer Nuttall a loan elsewhere and another team at least contribute to his wages. 

Isn't it pretty much a done deal that Willoughby is going back to Chester...?

On 5/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, oafcmetty said:

First Team Squad

1. Magnus Norman (2025)

13. Matt Hudson (2025)
x. Dan Langley (2024)

2. Sai Sachdev - on loan from Sheff U till end of season - send back

3. Mark Kitching (2025)

4. Liam Hogan (2025?)

5. Shaun Hobson (2025)

16. Charlie Raglan (2025)
17. Harrison McGahey (2024?) - release.
21. Will Sutton (2025)
27. Benny Couto (2024) - on loan at Ashton Utd till end of season

x. Llyton Chapman (2024?)- on loan at Chadderton

x. Fraser Cookson (2024?) - on loan at Nantwich till 6/2/24

6. Mark Shelton (2025) - transfer list

8. Josh Lundstram (2025)

11. Dan Ward (2025) - transfer list
14. Nathan Sheron (2025)
15. Devarn Green (2024, with option for 1 more year) - release
18. Ben Tollitt (2024) - season long loan at Chester - release

19. Dan Gardner (2024) - release

22. Brennan Dickenson (2024) - season long loan at Hartlepool - release

26. Oliver Hammond (2025)

28. Ethan Walker - on loan from Blackburn till end of season - send back

32. Tom Conlon (2026)
x. Jordan Windass (2024) - season long loan at Darlington - release

7. Kurt Willoughby (2025) - season long loan at Ayr United - transfer list

9. Mike Fondop (2024) - release

10. Joe Nuttall (2025) - season long loan at Cheltenham - transfer list

20. Hallum Hope (2024?) - release
25. Alex Reid (2025) - transfer list

29. Andrew Dallas - on loan from Barnsley till end of season - send back

30. James Norwood (2025, with option for 1 more year)

31. Kofi Moore (2024?) - season long loan at Guiseley

x. Jake Forshaw (2024?)- season long loan at Ossett

x. Joe Garner (2025)

Final Year Scholars
Oli Havens
Favour Okeke - offered deal
Mworina Doro

Oli Kilner - on loan at Bury till end of season

1st/2nd Year Scholars
TBA

In bold are the players that I'd release, transfer list or send back to parent clubs.  16 players for starters with others who should be kept on their toes.

Last year I was a fan of adding to what we had, this year I'm keen for us to cull a lot of players and build a smaller squad with the right mentality.  If we can start blooding more youngsters between now and August to supplement the squad that would be ideal.

This is the first team squad signed up for next season if we don’t extend any 2024 lads and send all loans back:

First Team Squad

1. Magnus Norman (2025)

13. Matt Hudson (2025)

3. Mark Kitching (2025)

4. Liam Hogan (2025)

5. Shaun Hobson (2025)

21. Will Sutton (2025) 

6. Mark Shelton (2025)

8. Josh Lundstram (2025)

11. Dan Ward (2025)
14. Nathan Sheron (2025)

32. Tom Conlon (2026)

7. Kurt Willoughby (2025) 

10. Joe Nuttall (2025) 
25. Alex Reid (2025)

30. James Norwood (2025 plus option)

24. Joe Garner (2025)

Have to try and get rid of some of this lot. Reckon a team will take a punt on Willoughby but the rest will be tough. Can see us paying off a couple, maybe Reid and Shelton

13 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

In bold are the players that I'd release, transfer list or send back to parent clubs.  16 players for starters with others who should be kept on their toes.

Last year I was a fan of adding to what we had, this year I'm keen for us to cull a lot of players and build a smaller squad with the right mentality.  If we can start blooding more youngsters between now and August to supplement the squad that would be ideal.

Yep, agreed Bosh. 

Id also transfer list Kitchen who has obviously spat his dummy out. 

Whether the likes of Shelton, Ward, and Nuttall will have takers who will pay what we are is another matter. 

19 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

This is the first team squad signed up for next season if we don’t extend any 2024 lads and send all loans back:

First Team Squad

1. Magnus Norman (2025)

13. Matt Hudson (2025)

3. Mark Kitching (2025)

4. Liam Hogan (2025)

5. Shaun Hobson (2025)

21. Will Sutton (2025) 

6. Mark Shelton (2025)

8. Josh Lundstram (2025)

11. Dan Ward (2025)
14. Nathan Sheron (2025)

32. Tom Conlon (2026)

7. Kurt Willoughby (2025) 

10. Joe Nuttall (2025) 
25. Alex Reid (2025)

30. James Norwood (2025 plus option)

24. Joe Garner (2025)

Have to try and get rid of some of this lot. Reckon a team will take a punt on Willoughby but the rest will be tough. Can see us paying off a couple, maybe Reid and Shelton

Could we get cash for Norwood?

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Id also transfer list Kitchen who has obviously spat his dummy out. 

Come from nowhere this opinion a few people have stated as if its fact. Just because, like most of the squad, he's hit a poor run of form

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Could we get cash for Norwood?

Maybe - he’s clearly not thrilled to be here. 

It’s the wages though, who would pay it or get close? Maybe a Salford?

He lives in Manchester so can’t see him venturing too far unless he REALLY hates it. 

31 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Let's just say from that list you've given and we find a way to get out the door either by loan or moving on all those you highlighted, that does give us more than enough room to bring in enough good players to turn this squad around even if you have to slightly reduce the wage bill. 

Their are 15 names their you've highlighted so let's say we try reduce the squad size and bring in 10. If let's say 2 of them are flops 3 are adequate squad players and 5 go straight into the first choice starting 11 then we are strengthened significantly while probably spending less money. So it can be done we do need to be smarter though with recruitment.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Let's just say from that list you've given and we find a way to get out the door either by loan or moving on all those you highlighted, that does give us more than enough room to bring in enough good players to turn this squad around even if you have to slightly reduce the wage bill. 

Their are 15 names their you've highlighted so let's say we try reduce the squad size and bring in 10. If let's say 2 of them are flops 3 are adequate squad players and 5 go straight into the first choice starting 11 then we are strengthened significantly while probably spending less money. So it can be done we do need to be smarter though with recruitment.

Trouble is we’ve completely wasted 2 seasons and we ain’t going up next season with such an overhaul of the playing staff. We’re down here for two more seasons at least!

25 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Trouble is we’ve completely wasted 2 seasons and we ain’t going up next season with such an overhaul of the playing staff. We’re down here for two more seasons at least!

We've no idea right now how the recruitment is going to go this Summer or how next season is going to pan out so making such a sweeping statement either for or against us going up next year is ludicrous.

As for the last 2 seasons it's only wasted time if the owners/board of directors have learned nothing. We are better geared towards challenging for promotion than we were in August 22.  

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Maybe - he’s clearly not thrilled to be here. 

It’s the wages though, who would pay it or get close? Maybe a Salford?

He lives in Manchester so can’t see him venturing too far unless he REALLY hates it. 

Of course he hates it, was sold a dream and we are absolutely wank. 

I am an Oldham fan through and through and I fucking hate it. 

Edited by LightDN123

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We've no idea right now how the recruitment is going to go this Sumner or how next season is going to pan out so making such a sweeping statement either for or against us going up next year is ludicrous.

As for the last 2 seasons it's only wasted time if the owners/board of directors have learned nothing. We are better geared towards challenging for promotion than we were in August 22.  

An important point made about the new board. Yes, they’re tons better then the Lemsagams and their senior club advisor, but that doesn’t mean they won’t make mistakes or learn how to do things better. 

Despite the end to this season being a real let down, I feel strangely optimistic about next season. 

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I am an Oldham fan through and through and I fucking hate it. 

I’m sure he was told we are much better than we are, but let’s not kid ourselves. He’s here because we offered more money than he was on at Barnsley, on a longer deal, closer to home. Not becsuse he was told we’re half decent and might win the NL

36 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Come from nowhere this opinion a few people have stated as if it’s afact. Just because, like most of the squad, he's hit a poor run of form

He hasn’t hit a poor run of form where by his passing is off, or his crossing isn’t beating his man. He looks a completely different player, he doesn’t overlap, he doesn’t cross, he doesn’t get up and down. For moths he was only our attacking threat and always a solid 7 or 8- since Christmas he has been really poor. Now, unless Mellon has specifically said- turn into a much less effective player please, and don’t do anything positive that will affect the game. I’d say it’s safe to say he doesn’t want to be here, and is coasting. 

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He's a gullible fool then. Long enough in the tooth to know there's no guarantees

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

An important point made about the new board. Yes, they’re tons better then the Lemsagams and their senior club advisor, but that doesn’t mean they won’t make mistakes or learn how to do things better. 

Despite the end to this season being a real let down, I feel strangely optimistic about next season. 

The recruitment of players will very much come under Micky Mellon, he very much needs to be supported by coaches, scouts  data analysts aswell as the Board of Directors but at the same time I think its important he's challenged on decisions.

We've made a few mistakes in the recruitment of players and their is quite abit of wastage in the budget that we are committed to paying for the next 12 months. We won't get every signing right but our signing hit to miss ratio needs to be alot better.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He hasn’t hit a poor run of form where by his passing is off, or his crossing isn’t beating his man. He looks a completely different player, he doesn’t overlap, he doesn’t cross, he doesn’t get up and down. For moths he was only our attacking threat and always a solid 7 or 8- since Christmas he has been really poor. Now, unless Mellon has specifically said- turn into a much less effective player please, and don’t do anything positive that will affect the game. I’d say it’s safe to say he doesn’t want to be here, and is coasting. 

Who do you want him overlapping? Himself?

He put quite a few crosses in today and he was up and down.

People are playing bad enough without making up imaginary tantrums

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I honestly don’t know you do it. 😂👍🏻

I feel as far away from success as I ever have at the minute. 

😂 it takes a lot of effort!!

I’m trying to rationalise the situation we’re in. We have a manager with a proven track record and owners and a board who will give him full support and infrastructure. 

I don’t think a massive overhaul is needed with the playing squad, over a full summer we should fill the obvious gaps and add pace and quality. And I think we’ll find homes for most if not all the players we don’t want (including those under contract).

Whether it will all gel or not who knows. But I think we’ll feel optimistic going into the first game of next season. 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

😂 it takes a lot of effort!!

I’m trying to rationalise the situation we’re in. We have a manager with a proven track record and owners and a board who will give him full support and infrastructure. 

I don’t think a massive overhaul is needed with the playing squad, over a full summer we should fill the obvious gaps and add pace and quality. And I think we’ll find homes for most if not all the players we don’t want (including those under contract).

Whether it will all gel or not who knows. But I think we’ll feel optimistic going into the first game of next season. 

What throws it into really big doubt for me is the recruitment since Mellon arrived. Absolutely abysmal.

• Like 2