Playing Squad - Summer 23

I played golf this morning and one of my regular playing mates seemed a bit agitated, odd as he's normally a very chilled out kind of guy. Turns out he was at Cheltenham last night as they lost 0-1 to Carlisle (already down) in a crucial relegation match for them. He was apoplectic about Nuttall, who apparently missed a sitter early on. Honestly, I've never heard him swear so much 🤣. Among his more repeatable comments about Nuttall were "can't bloody jump", "fucking useless", "sodding donkey", and he said if we don't take Nuttall back at the end of the season if not before, he might just stick my 7 iron where the sun doesn't shine!! 😧🤣

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I played golf this morning and one of my regular playing mates seemed a bit agitated, odd as he's normally a very chilled out kind of guy. Turns out he was at Cheltenham last night as they lost 0-1 to Carlisle (already down) in a crucial relegation match for them. He was apoplectic about Nuttall, who apparently missed a sitter early on. Honestly, I've never heard him swear so much 🤣. Among his more repeatable comments about Nuttall were "can't bloody jump", "fucking useless", "sodding donkey", and he said if we don't take Nuttall back at the end of the season if not before, he might just stick my 7 iron where the sun doesn't shine!! 😧🤣

But can he hole a Dennis Wise under pressure?

Of those out of contract (McGahey, Green, Gardner, Fondop, Hope, some out on loan and some kids) the only one who I would possibly keep is Green, subject to his fitness. Equally, there are probably 100 of him knocking around, and it would be no great loss. He might be a character, but nobody wins promotion with Fondop in their team, especially when he's suspended for 15% of the season. 

Of those in contract (Hudson, Norman, Kitching, Hogan, Hobson, Raglan, Sutton, Shelton, Lundstram, Ward, Sheron, Hammond, Conlon, Willoughby, Nuttall, Reid, Norwood, Garner (fucking hell there's some dross in there)) there has to be a concerted effort to move on a bunch of those. 

One of the keepers, Ward, Shelton, Willoughby, Nuttall and Reid have to go. 

Arguably one of the centre backs - as Yardy has said all season, 3 right CBs is ridiculous squad planning - and Kitching, who's forgotten how to play football could be shifted. Sheron divides opinion, I'd get rid but is probably handy to have as a squad player to fill in. 

Sheron is versatile. I’d only keep him based on that alone. He’d not be a starter but a useful player to bring on in-game to replace an injury. MM has finally sussed him out hence dropping him for the last 3 matches. A hallmark of our midfield; just not quite good enough.

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

Out of contract:

(McGahey, Green, Gardner, Fondop, Hope, some out on loan and some kids)

In contract (Hudson, Norman, Kitching, Hogan, Hobson, Raglan, Sutton, Shelton, Lundstram, Ward, Sheron, Hammond, Conlon, Willoughby, Nuttall, Reid, Norwood, Garner 

Keep:

Hudson, Hogan, Raglan, Lundstram, Reid and Conlon.

Lose the rest. 👍

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

Of those in contract (Hudson, Norman, Kitching, Hogan, Hobson, Raglan, Sutton, Shelton, Lundstram, Ward, Sheron, Hammond, Conlon, Willoughby, Nuttall, Reid, Norwood, Garner (fucking hell there's some dross in there)) there has to be a concerted effort to move on a bunch of those. 

It goes without saying, I think, that all the out of contract players you mentioned have to be let go, although Fondop has impressed me a couple of times.

The list of contracted players is frightening in terms of its lack of quality and that is what MM is clearly referring to in his interview. I`ve not seem them all but those I haven't seen must be really poor because they haven't even caught the side. Of the others I`m struggling to opt for any I`d keep. I keep hearing about Norwood but, only based on what I`ve seen since Woking at home, he's looked nothing special and I don't think he wants to be here either.

As MM said, there's a lot of hard talking to be done and, thereafter, a lot of work to be done.

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Sheron is versatile. I’d only keep him based on that alone. He’d not be a starter but a useful player to bring on in-game to replace an injury. MM has finally sussed him out hence dropping him for the last 3 matches. A hallmark of our midfield; just not quite good enough.

And results have really picked up since he sussed him haven't they?

7 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Of those out of contract (McGahey, Green, Gardner, Fondop, Hope, some out on loan and some kids) the only one who I would possibly keep is Green, subject to his fitness. Equally, there are probably 100 of him knocking around, and it would be no great loss. He might be a character, but nobody wins promotion with Fondop in their team, especially when he's suspended for 15% of the season. 

One of the keepers, Ward, Shelton, Willoughby, Nuttall and Reid have to go. 

Arguably one of the centre backs - as Yardy has said all season, 3 right CBs is ridiculous squad planning - and Kitching, who's forgotten how to play football could be shifted. Sheron divides opinion, I'd get rid but is probably handy to have as a squad player to fill in. 

There really is some crap there. e.g. I'd forgotten that Reid was even

in our squad. 

I don't believe for a single second that the last couple of months is all down to the quality of the squad, not for one second. If that was the case no way would they have gone in the run that took us 5th and looking nailed on for the play offs. Something happened.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I don't believe for a single second that the last couple of months is all down to the quality of the squad, not for one second. If that was the case no way would they have gone in the run that took us 5th and looking nailed on for the play offs. Something happened.

Something could have happened. But it could just be that these things happen to most teams. Why have Aldershot not won in 6? Why did altrincham lose 6 on the trot randomly in the middle of the season? Last season Chesterfield had a shocking 10 game run out of the blue. 

We’ve started and ended the season with very similar runs of results. We had similar bad runs last season too. I think it’s a fairly common thing for play off teams to have these spells. But probably not normal for it to happen twice in the same season hence we’ve blown it. 

Exactly. I’m sure it was the change from nice new manager, to one demanding more from the players.  This group are allergic to criticism.  Instead of pulling up their big boy pants, they just start pretending to play.

A few on here have criticised MM’s team selection, and really selections have  been strange.  My instinct is that he is picking the few players he feels have pride and will try.  McGahey being an example as well as Gardner. ( unfortunately they really just doesn’t have it anymore)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Even if something has happened and they have downed tools, they still need fucking off for being unprofessional. There is no excuse for not giving of their best for their employers and the supporters!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Even if something has happened and they have downed tools, they still need fucking off for being unprofessional. There is no excuse for not giving of their best for their employers and the supporters!!

That's not up for debate

On 4/10/2024 at 4:34 PM, Worcester Owl said:

As an update, aforementioned golf mate apologised to me yesterday - Nuttall was MOTM in Cheltenham's win over Peterborough and, quote, "terrorised the goalkeeper", "jumped like a salmon" and generally was unplayable!