Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Guarantee Norwood gets called a lazy bastard by the time we play Halifax at home.

Can't believe we're relying on him, he didn't score a single goal for us in pre-season! Not even a penalty! 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Apart from 12 goals last season in two divisions higher - is he all that. . ? 

He must be shit because he lost in the league 1 play off final last season and didn’t even score. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

He's 33 next month. It's a good signing assuming he's injury free but not sure I'm buying that it's a massive coup. I'd expect a player at his stage of his career to be around League Two/NL level. We're still one of the bigger draws for players in the aforementioned leagues, especially with the extra revenue from the increased attendances over the last season, so not surprised we're a favourite to sign him.

I originally thought the same. However, having just had a quick scan of a Barnsley forum and realising that, pretty much to a man, they wanted to keep him, I now see this as a coup.

He'll score loads. 

E I E I E I O

Also I reckon Nuttall will be on his way out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, longtimeblue said:

I originally thought the same. However, having just had a quick scan of a Barnsley forum and realising that, pretty much to a man, they wanted to keep him, I now see this as a coup.

He'll score loads. 

E I E I E I O

Also I reckon Nuttall will be on his way out.

I think it’s the most impressive signing I’ve seen for a while, would have been very happy with him signing if we were in league two and going for promotion . Well thought of among the Barnsley fans and they seem shocked. In addition to Wrexham bidding for him it’s a good bit of business that. ( if it is happening 😂)

2 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think it’s the most impressive signing I’ve seen for a while, would have been very happy with him signing if we were in league two and going for promotion . Well thought of among the Barnsley fans and they seem shocked. In addition to Wrexham bidding for him it’s a good bit of business that. ( if it is happening 😂)

Even better... Just read  a bit more of the thread and someone mentioned the Oldham 'rumour' a few days ago. Apparently, Norwood is a bit of a joker and was clearly having a laugh 🤣. I'm getting some popcorn in for the rest of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

Perhaps David Unsworth was the reason he came....

While I think other areas of the team probably need to be prioritised and we are well stocked for strikers as it is, it would be pretty churlish to turn our nose up at a proven striker from 2 divisions higher coming here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

For the first time in years, I feel a bit big time again signing Norwood. (Especially when Barnsley fans are in meltdown 😂

God it’s good to feel like we’re on the way back. 💙

Retribution for Johnson when we were doing well at the time.

Last time I can remember this much buzz about a new striker was Luke Beckett.

It's never felt like we're a club who gets these players who you just know will bag for fun, so when it does happen it feels all the more special 😊

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Notts County and Wrexham both had a striker who scored for fun and I don't think we have one like that. Yes, we have 4 who may or may not bag 15 if we're lucky. Will that be enough? Hence no surprise we were interested in Dallas. 

I rest my case (hopefully). Think Norwood could tip the balance for us.

Now for a RB and getting Lundstrum fit.

3 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

I rest my case (hopefully). Think Norwood could tip the balance for us.

Now for a RB and getting Lundstrum fit.

I think this Robinson may well be a done deal who is a RB. DU wanted 3 more, so 1 more gap left. I’d imagine maybe a midfielder/left sided winger type of player. 

1 minute ago, pcassist said:

Folks, whoever thinks Oliver Norwood is a striker is wrong, he's a midfielder, don't shoot the messenger. Lofty 

Good job it’s James and not Oliver then ain’t it. Although Oliver would be an even better signing from Sheff Utd’s 1st team 😂

4 hours ago, St92 said:

Starting to feel a little bit underwhelmed by our summer transfer activity

We had a great start to the summer but then it feels like we have taken our foot off the gas a bit because it's been ages since the last signing

And midfield creativity and RB that were issues last season don't look to have been resolved

Feels to me a bit like we put ourselves in a great position and then relaxed a bit 

We signed a lot last season too, which was probably a factor behind the run post-January..

I think 5 (so far) decent signings to add to the squad built last year is decent.

No excuses! Especially if more are to come!