Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

Just now, yarddog73 said:

This recruitment almost feels like an afterthought to me, not the way it was sold that's for sure.

In a way it does but when you think Ward, Lundstram and green all out pretty much immediately that’s a big hole in the team, and the main one which needed addressing from last season. 

If we sign a midfielder because we have an injury crisis then it's bad planning.

If we have more strikers than we can play because they're all fit then it's bad planning.

It's almost as if it doesn't actually matter what Unsworth and his team do, those positions are entrenched.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

I think we only lost out to Colclough because Chesterfield paid more. Not sure where this rumour came.

Norwood's had a drink driving ban

I think this was a pretty big reason why we got him, as he lives in Manchester and still on his ban as far as I'm aware.

He was relying on lifts from teammates to Barnsley.

54 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

This isn't a hijack every topic Unsworth out post... But, I am struggling to get the same level of excitement I'd normally get when a "big name" is incoming. 

Exactly the same here.

I was buzzing when Norwood signed.

2 weeks on I'm flattened and any signing, no matter how good, seems utterly pointless until our real problem is addressed.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

It all seems a bit strange that Unsworth has banged on about a good pre season since he got here, said he was doing all his business early at the end of last season, now we seem to be in a mad scramble to bring in more new players every week.

And the shining lights in the 5-1 win were the 3 lads who'd arrived last minute and played little or no part in pre season 

All part of the (AMAZING!) sTrucTurED rECruiTMenT StrATegy no doubt 

Edited by HarryBosch

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If we sign a midfielder because we have an injury crisis then it's bad planning.

If we have more strikers than we can play because they're all fit then it's bad planning.

It's almost as if it doesn't actually matter what Unsworth and his team do, those positions are entrenched.

Ironically you hold one of the more entrenched positions on here, at least my opinion flips. I can handle being called fickle but entrenched nah thats you and the other well known apologists.

Just now, nzlatic said:

Supposedly no one ever actually wants us to lose. They want to be proven wrong etc.

And bang on cue.....

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Ironically you hold one of the more entrenched positions on here, at least my opinion flips. I can handle being called fickle but entrenched nah thats you and the other well known apologists.

And bang on cue.....

The problem is, you seem to think that anyone who doesn't agree with you must hold the exact opposite opinion.  Which is bollocks.

34 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s not that, it just seems at odds with what he was saying before. Trimming the squad and getting all the signings in early so they’re ready to when the season starts. Now we’re heading for a bloated squad again with a few of them not fit because they’ve had no pre season.

If it all works out fine then happy days,  but we can’t carry signing players every time someone gets injured surely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

He's also been done for smashing his range rover into a van pissed up years back.

Couple of my relatives grew up with him. Apparently had all the talent in the world but had too much too young and was a became a bit of a dick with it.

Interesting that Paddy says the original source is Brad Knowles and he's just tweeted a free agent list with Ryan Tunnicliffe on it...

IIRC it wasn't just a van he damaged a house too. 

Fortunately he didn't kill someone given the impact to a house.

I heard the stories about him being a dick too, but that was around the time he got done for drunk driving so it could be biased.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Used to drink in same pub as his dad a few years ago, nice enough fella

Bay Horse?

FWIW I would wager I saw him play as a kid, although I didn't realise it at the time.

2 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

It’s not that, it just seems at odds with what he was saying before. Trimming the squad and getting all the signings in early so they’re ready to when the season starts. Now we’re heading for a bloated squad again with a few of them not fit because they’ve had no pre season.

If it all works out fine then happy days,  but we can’t carry signing players every time someone gets injured surely.

Personally I would have thought 4 strikers enough, but maybe when someone of Norwood's ability comes along you can't turn it down as it's such an upgrade?

I would have said prior to the season starting we still needed a CM and a RB anyway. So I don't think those are knee jerk signings either. Another CM should in my view complete the squad and allow for decent competition all over the park.  It shouldn't need signings to replace injuries after that. The headache will come when everyone is fit, but it's better to have that problem that no competition or no decent back up.

8 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

IIRC it wasn't just a van he damaged a house too. 

Fortunately he didn't kill someone given the impact to a house.

I heard the stories about him being a dick too, but that was around the time he got done for drunk driving so it could be biased.

Bay Horse?

FWIW I would wager I saw him play as a kid, although I didn't realise it at the time.

Would have been more up Summit end for me but he was a big Red so sure he would have been in there.

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Personally I would have thought 4 strikers enough, but maybe when someone of Norwood's ability comes along you can't turn it down as it's such an upgrade?

I would have said prior to the season starting we still needed a CM and a RB anyway. So I don't think those are knee jerk signings either. Another CM should in my view complete the squad and allow for decent competition all over the park.  It shouldn't need signings to replace injuries after that. The headache will come when everyone is fit, but it's better to have that problem that no competition or no decent back up.

We’ll he certainly needs to make this work pretty quickly now if this latest signing is true, given how much money we seem to be throwing at it.

No excuses now, just get the job done Unsworth!

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I really hope it is Tunnicliffe, I was going to suggest him weeks ago but did some digging and word was he was staying in League 1.

Tunnicliffe and Lundstram would be a 7,578,923 billion % upgrade on SAS!!

Do we really need another defensive  midfielder? Unless DU is planning to play 5 at the back with 3 sat in front at Chesterfield.

Quote from the net;

'Tunniclife is comfortable playing in a role that sees him just in front of the defence'.

4 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

We’ll he certainly needs to make this work pretty quickly now if this latest signing is true, given how much money we seem to be throwing at it.

No excuses now, just get the job done Unsworth!

Agreed. Everyone will have different views on what "job done" means, but I don't think anyone would think it means mid table this season. Playoffs minimum.

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Do we really need another defensive  midfielder? Unless DU is planning to play 5 at the back with 3 sat in front at Chesterfield.

Quote from the net;

'Tunniclife is comfortable playing in a role that sees him just in front of the defence'.

He isn't going to get about but he also wont turn over the football at the rate our current midfielders do, he isn't an Unsworth type so I'd be surprised if it were him given we are paying a player with similar attributes to stay at home. 

On the plus side he is good on set pieces so if it means I don't have to see Tollitt crash a free kick in a dangerous position in to the first defender again then great.

Apparently we've turned down others with chequered pasts so again I'd be surprised if we've caved in on those principles. 

45 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Quote from the net;

It doesn't say that's the only role he's comfortable in?  I've no idea