Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Do we really need another defensive  midfielder? Unless DU is planning to play 5 at the back with 3 sat in front at Chesterfield.

Quote from the net;

'Tunniclife is comfortable playing in a role that sees him just in front of the defence'.

He gets all over the pitch as does Lundstram. Add Ward and that’s some midfield 3 who could retain possession until the cows come home.

You could then tell Kitching and Freeman to bomb on more than they do now, play 3 strikers and play high up the pitch as a team.

The only way it falls down is when the ball goes to Hogan who only passes sideways and you’re then reliant on Raglan passing into the midfielders - you don’t want the full backs having to come close to the centre half’s as that means they’re then too deep. You want them receiving the ball high up the pitch from the midfielders and wide and the 3 strikers all moving off the ball.

Et voila

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

As long as we start winning I couldn’t give a shite!!😆😆

Which I understand, I just don’t think he’s capable of taking us from League 2 to League 1 should we ever get back into the football league.

Nothing feels planned with him, he flits from one thing to the next hoping to get lucky. It’s not indicative of long term success

'Tunniclife is comfortable playing in a role that sees him just in front of the defence'. 

If that means we have someone to take the ball off Raglan and Hogan and progress it then that would be great - was easy for Halifax to retreat to the half way line and let Hogan / Raglan try to find Kitchen or Freeman with no space for them move.  The fact a change wasn't made on Tuesday (or not one that seemed to have any effect) was what peed me off the most.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He gets all over the pitch as does Lundstram. Add Ward and that’s some midfield 3 who could retain possession until the cows come home.

You could then tell Kitching and Freeman to bomb on more than they do now, play 3 strikers and play high up the pitch as a team.

The only way it falls down is when the ball goes to Hogan who only passes sideways and you’re then reliant on Raglan passing into the midfielders - you don’t want the full backs having to come close to the centre half’s as that means they’re then too deep. You want them receiving the ball high up the pitch from the midfielders and wide and the 3 strikers all moving off the ball.

Et voila

My fear is he would be instructed to sit deep with Sheron and Shelton. An even worse scenario than now.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Do we really need another defensive  midfielder? Unless DU is planning to play 5 at the back with 3 sat in front at Chesterfield.

Quote from the net;

I think that we need one who can protect the back four. Dickenson, Shelton, Ward, Lundstram do not play that role as far as I can see - if he’s an upgrade on Sheron then that will do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My fear is he would be instructed to sit deep with Sheron and Shelton. An even worse scenario than now.

The problem with Sheron and Shelton is that neither take the ball on the half turn and passed forward. With both Nuttall and Norwood both playing uptop and neither really looking comfortable dropping deep into the hole you end up having a 20 yard gap between the midfielders and the strikers. With neither Tollit nor Dickensen really dropping into the pockets either it meant our build up play was often predictable as we'd have to try to go down the sides all the time sometimes it was successful but not always and certainly not enough to really trouble Halifax second half.

The signing of Tunnicliffe while would be impressive given his pedigree is one I'm not sure we need. I think we need someone who can occupy the area behind the strikers by either coming off the wing or pushing on from Midfield that way we can create more chances.

So, if we sign him then the squad is:

GK

Norman

Hudson

FB

Kitching

Freeman

CB

Hogan

Raglan

Hobbs

Sutton

McGahey

CM 

Lundstram

Tunnicliffe

Sheron

Shelton

Gardner

WM

Green

Ward

Tollitt

Dickenson

strikers

Willoughby

Reid

Fondop

Nuttall

Norwood

Twenty-three players, plus, we still have Hope and Rooney.

That's a strong squad on paper, but it's weird that we only have two full-backs.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

So, if we sign him then the squad is:

GK

Norman

Hudson

FB

Kitching

Freeman

CB

Hogan

Raglan

Hobbs

Sutton

McGahey

CM 

Lundstram

Tunnicliffe

Sheron

Shelton

Gardner

WM

Green

Ward

Tollitt

Dickenson

strikers

Willoughby

Reid

Fondop

Nuttall

Norwood

Twenty-three players, plus, we still have Hope and Rooney.

That's a strong squad on paper, but it's weird that we only have two full-backs.

Dickenson to cover LB and Sutton/Hobson/Shelton to cover RB?

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The problem with Sheron and Shelton is that neither take the ball on the half turn and passed forward. With both Nuttall and Norwood both playing uptop and neither really looking comfortable dropping deep into the hole you end up having a 20 yard gap between the midfielders and the strikers. With neither Tollit nor Dickensen really dropping into the pockets either it meant our build up play was often predictable as we'd have to try to go down the sides all the time sometimes it was successful but not always and certainly not enough to really trouble Halifax second half.

The signing of Tunnicliffe while would be impressive given his pedigree is one I'm not sure we need. I think we need someone who can occupy the area behind the strikers by either coming off the wing or pushing on from Midfield that way we can create more chances.

LIke Rooney you mean?

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Tbf @Lee Sinnott has always been pretty convinced that Unsworth will see out his contract, I didn't think it would be possible if he continued to fail but it looks like he might be right. Still, there is time for Unsworth to prove us doubters wrong and lets hope he does.

How does it look like he'll see out a three year contract less than a year into it?

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Tbf @Lee Sinnott has always been pretty convinced that Unsworth will see out his contract, I didn't think it would be possible if he continued to fail but it looks like he might be right. Still, there is time for Unsworth to prove us doubters wrong and lets hope he does.

Source: David Unsworth’s family in the hospitality boxes v Chester in FA Cup...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well...yeah actually we probably do need a player like that who might give us something abit different.

Don't know much about the lad linked with us, but i'd say we need a MF who can control the tempo of the game, play what we would perceive as simple balls and just keep possession at times. The first one that springs to mind is Chris McCann type player, who isn't necessarily an attacking midfielder but just sits and controls the game, bit like Shez did for us in League 1 when playing on 1 leg.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How does it look like he'll see out a three year contract less than a year into it?

The constant backing in the transfer market despite the fact there isn't much evidence to support him. i'd make him do with what he's got for now and if he can't get a tune out of them he should be gone. Imo and it's only an opinion, he one of the worst managers we've had in the time i've been watching us which has been since 1978. I'd have more confidence in @Lee Sinnott picking a side that sets us up to win games than Unsworth

17 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Are we confident it’s Tunnicliffe?

starting tomorrow?

Who knows, was told a lad called Ryan, played at a higher level , don’t know anymore than that. Would add up if he’s from Heywood and looking to move up north. Didn’t Charlton try and sign him this year?