• 2nd or 3rd, and go up through the playoffs
    • 2nd or 3rd but lose out in the playoffs
    • 4th-7th, and go up through the playoffs
    • 4th-7th but lose out in the playoffs
    • 8th-12th
    • 13th-20th
    • Bottom 4

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Planning to top up the punt later.  Or do I mean the pool?  So confusing.

you can not class the large clear straights of The Ant is yours just because it flows over 8 of your miles!!!

l'm going to be honest here. altho l have predicted heartbreak in this poll l am financially invested in us finishing top 7, top 3, getting promoted and winning the league.

any profit on the last two to the contingency fund bc l publicly said l would give them my season ticket money before Frank bought us and then l bought a season ticket instead when Frank rode over the hill in his mean machine (l will clear it when l get a job l'm like 7% of the way there)

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Generally I'm known as a pessimist.  I align with the quote from Andy Zaltzman on TMS while they were watching the rain at Old Trafford last weekend - 'Pessimism is my comfort blanket to guard against false hope'

l have access to all TV channels and sometimes l forego live action in favour of TMS. talk about painting pictures with words l feel l'm in the least secret club in the world lazing about listening to these fine chaps n chappettes!

On 7/24/2023 at 6:20 PM, Dave_Og said:

I can't really say I've followed Chesterfield's pre-season activity much.  I know they've signed Grigg and another L1 player whose name escapes me.  Who else?  Given we outscored them in points for the second half of last season I can't really fathom why they are such strong favourites - I'm very happy with the 11/1 and 9/1 (the latter still readily available) at which I've been accumulating bets on us since the bookies opened up.

Liking your prices Dave after today's incoming announcement!! 

In spite of the remarkable investment and excellent preparation for the season, we contrive a terrible first performance.

The roller coaster season has begun.

Promotion is the goal, David Unsworth isn't denying it, he appears to be signing all his preferred players.

While the board are clearly invested in him as the manager for the duration of his contract, if we are not in contention for promotion, this is failure.

I imagine being knocked out in the playoffs would be adequate achievement to warrant one more season in charge.

My emotions aren't so balanced, I expect David Unsworth to be putting a team out to play with the spirit and endeavour to win, every game, don't care about clean sheets, score more than them.

We should find ourselves in the playoffs, thirty odd years of misery is eclipsed when we win at Wembley.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Has any team been mullered 4-0 first game and gone on to win promotion?. Probably not.

We lost the first game of the 1970-71 season 4-1 at Grimsby, but were promoted. Mind you, we had a proper manager back then.

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Did you go today ? 

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Of course he didn't.

I watched the whole 100 minutes of shite so therefore entitled to say that performance was absolute gash but talk of getting rid of the manager after one game into new season is embarrassing. No way you lot react in real life like you do on here or you'd never leave your houses

33 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I watched the whole 100 minutes of shite so therefore entitled to say that performance was absolute gash but talk of getting rid of the manager after one game into new season is embarrassing. No way you lot react in real life like you do on here or you'd never leave your houses

I have slept on it, would still sack him this morning. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, yarddog73 said:

I think we are overpriced but still struggling with us turning in to some winning machine, as for Chesterfield they must be favourites and have recruited well to an already solid squad, given the budgets we really should be slogging it out at the top end this season and I'm optimistic but still see weakness in the way we set up and approach games, we've played nobody of any note in pre season yet, been out played by all three teams for large parts of the game and still look vulnerable, still can't have us out of the top 7 regardless of whose in charge.

I wasn't too far away yet some still knocked my post. 

Only about 4% of our fans predicted we would finish as low as 10th, fair play to them as I actually voted we would go up as Champions 😂

Does anybody still see this season as progress, that was banded about on here a lot a couple of months ago but I don't hear it now.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Does anybody still see this season as progress,

2 places higher and a few points better off is progress I suppose but really disappointing and nowhere near the expectation!

The problem is if we set off slowly again next season the supporters will be on the case straight away.

Unfortunately, Mellon won’t get any grace period next time and will have to produce from the off….that’s just the way it, that’s football!

Do I think he’s the right manager?

I really hope so, his CV and past achievements say that he is, but from what I’ve seen so far I’m really not convinced.