MATCH: vs Southend (A) 05/08/23

Well slept on it and woke up this morning  decided to try and take positives out of that  shambolic performance ( there’s not many).  Putting aside the  cries for  a better goalie as he is beat to easily from long range shots Magnus  is not the problem. Sutton was probably our best player up until his sending off, but he is the biggest square peg in a round hole  we need a right back  urgently as we have done since last season  this should of been our first signing close season .  Hogan for me is not a captain  I’ve not seen any leadership from him in games when we are under the cosh.  Although we signed Lundstrum and Ward who look like an upgrade  in midfield  from last season only time will tell  and I’d of made a creative  midfielder of experience our second signing  in the summer someone in  the  Elliot Lee of Wrexham mould. On to the forwards  we’ve got  an abundance of options  they all bring different things to the table   Nuttall  and one of the others  seems the  managers  choice atm, I’m still of the opinion that of the big men  Nuttall has  more to offer than big Mike  who is more suited as an impact off the bench  against a tiring defence. Saying that  Nuttall needs to up his game  big time. On to the positives  Dickenson looked good in his cameo yesterday and the potential is there for a good left side with Kitching  and Norwood will get goals of that there is no doubt. so for me  go 442   And have a go at teams  Ffs 

• Like 3

Truly, I think you were very unlucky to play us at this particular time. After months of unrest and arse ache through the summer, the whole team, coaching staff and the crowd just weren't going to allow anything but a convincing win. You will undoubtedly break your duck soon as you had some very useful looking players there, including Hobbo (can we have him back please). Hopefully both clubs will be scrapping it out for the top at the end of the season, but I still fear for us given the size of our squad. Our 1st choice 11 is as good as anyone's in this division on it's day, but we are desperately short of back up players when the injuries hit (as they will).

It was quite enlightening to see that your board can go into melt down just as badly as ours after a footballing disaster, but that's footie fans for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Truly, I think you were very unlucky to play us at this particular time. After months of unrest and arse ache through the summer, the whole team, coaching staff and the crowd just weren't going to allow anything but a convincing win. You will undoubtedly break your duck soon as you had some very useful looking players there, including Hobbo (can we have him back please). Hopefully both clubs will be scrapping it out for the top at the end of the season, but I still fear for us given the size of our squad. Our 1st choice 11 is as good as anyone's in this division on it's day, but we are desperately short of back up players when the injuries hit (as they will).

It was quite enlightening to see that your board can go into melt down just as badly as ours after a footballing disaster, but that's footie fans for you.

Even when Southend lost at BP last season we could all see this is the kind of football fans are craving for here.

Hope all goes well and if the embargo is lifted you will soon fly high 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Next Saturday already feels like a massive game. I know it's a long season, but there's been a lot of investment this summer and expectations have rightly been raised. If results don't come it'll get toxic quickly.

And Aldershot scored 5 yesterday, so I guess DU will go ultra defensive again to avoid that 

Listened to our commentary on iPlayer (fantastic way to waste a fiver..), but didn’t catch any mention of Lundstram being out for a possible 4 weeks, as previously mentioned on here.

You hope to God he’s back sooner than that because he’s going to be crucial to us in the middle of the park. Hopefully Ward’s knock isn’t too bad either. Dickenson is going to be thrown straight into the side and sounded as though he didn’t disgrace himself yesterday.

Two home games next. Points a must. 4 at the minimum.

18 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Well slept on it and woke up this morning  decided to try and take positives out of that  shambolic performance ( there’s not many).  Putting aside the  cries for  a better goalie as he is beat to easily from long range shots Magnus  is not the problem. Sutton was probably our best player up until his sending off, but he is the biggest square peg in a round hole  we need a right back  urgently as we have done since last season  this should of been our first signing close season .  Hogan for me is not a captain  I’ve not seen any leadership from him in games when we are under the cosh.  Although we signed Lundstrum and Ward who look like an upgrade  in midfield  from last season only time will tell  and I’d of made a creative  midfielder of experience our second signing  in the summer someone in  the  Elliot Lee of Wrexham mould. On to the forwards  we’ve got  an abundance of options  they all bring different things to the table   Nuttall  and one of the others  seems the  managers  choice atm, I’m still of the opinion that of the big men  Nuttall has  more to offer than big Mike  who is more suited as an impact off the bench  against a tiring defence. Saying that  Nuttall needs to up his game  big time. On to the positives  Dickenson looked good in his cameo yesterday and the potential is there for a good left side with Kitching  and Norwood will get goals of that there is no doubt. so for me  go 442   And have a go at teams  Ffs 

How is coming on halfway through the first half a cameo? Sutton did ok to a point, certainly got more decent crosses in than Kitching did. Couldn't give anyone more than 5/10

54 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What surprises me most is that Frank being such a positive person is allowing such negativity to continue on the playing side.

It's said owners shouldn't interfere, but I feel he needs to stamp his own philosophy on the club and let the manager know the ultra defensive mentality has to change...and quickly.

Some will shoot me down as usual, but in this  case I dont care, I want far better than these ponderous tactics on the field.

Yes BP I'll shoot you down....owners shouldn't interfere. That's why they are not managers or coaches, bar Marc at Dorking.

The board have on more than one occasion been clear they will not interfere in team selection or tactics which is how it should be.

However their job is release investment to build a strong squad and to appoint a management team that can meet the aspirations of the investment.

Point one they have delivered on in abundance, however it's clear to all now that after over a year they have made the wrong choice unfortunately on the manager and his assistants positions.

Loyalty only goes so far. 

Big Joe needs to be more vocal to Frank and Darren. Surely with all his experience he can see DU is out of his depth, and change is needed now.

He needs to...in my humble opinion...get off that big arse of his and advise Frank to pull the plug on Unsworth now, and go and find a coach who can get us promoted.

We can clearly pay what would be needed, and with the rest of the club in such good shape there would be no shortage of takers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Yes BP I'll shoot you down....owners shouldn't interfere. That's why they are not managers or coaches, bar Marc at Dorking.

The board have on more than one occasion been clear they will not interfere in team selection or tactics which is how it should be.

However their job is release investment to build a strong squad and to appoint a management team that can meet the aspirations of the investment.

Point one they have delivered on in abundance, however it's clear to all now that after over a year they have made the wrong choice unfortunately on the manager and his assistants positions.

Loyalty only goes so far. 

Big Joe needs to be more vocal to Frank and Darren. Surely with all his experience he can see DU is out of his depth, and change is needed now.

He needs to...in my humble opinion...get off that big arse of his and advise Frank to pull the plug on Unsworth now, and go and find a coach who can get us promoted.

We can clearly pay what would be needed, and with the rest of the club in such good shape there would be no shortage of takers.

Agreed- I don’t think they will ever interfere, they’ve far to much class for that. But equally they’re not stupid, and if it carries on I suspect Frank will be talking to Darren first if he’s thinking about a change. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed- I don’t think they will ever interfere, they’ve far to much class for that. But equally they’re not stupid, and if it carries on I suspect Frank will be talking to Darren first if he’s thinking about a change. 

Doesn't the story go that Mr Rothwell intervened in the deal that would have brought Colclough to the club...?

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Even when Southend lost at BP last season we could all see this is the kind of football fans are craving for here.

Hope all goes well and if the embargo is lifted you will soon fly high 

quite a few of the same players on show, which was pointed out to us prior.

we took them lightly on and off the pitch and got whallopped for it.

12 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

He was one of the only players that looked like a footballer yesterday

Not exactly a glowing endorsement amongst a sea of shite. IMO he is slow, cumbersome, gets outmuscled too easily and has a poor 1st touch.

I thought he would get better over time but he has shown no improvement whatsoever! 

37 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How is coming on halfway through the first half a cameo? Sutton did ok to a point, certainly got more decent crosses in than Kitching did. Couldn't give anyone more than 5/10

l'm suprised lm on here so soon after that yesterday didnt expect l would be able wade straight into the meltdown. l'm suprised youre reading it tbh but its good to see you here too!!

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Doesn't the story go that Mr Rothwell intervened in the deal that would have brought Colclough to the club...?

l think it's called positive discrimination. you can interefere 'morally' once or twice for free if you don't like something.

also sacking him wouldn't be classed as interfering, right?

20 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Although we should have been one up after three.

Doubt it would have changed anything.

On reflection this is a horrendous result. Psychologically damaging for the players. Complete mood killer for the fans at the first home game. Any optimism and positivity from the signings, new surroundings and improvements has evaporated. Losing your first game of the season 4-0 in such a weak and pathetic manner is a big hole to get out of.

They are going to have to be at it from minute 1 to 90 on Saturday to get the mood back. 

Edited by kowenicki
  • Like 4

We never help ourselves do we, next Saturday should be a big crowd and a celebration to the start of the season ( which I’m sure it still will be) but that underlying anxiety will now be there and any balls ups will rightly or wrongly be jumped upon by sections of the crowd, which in turn will inhibit the players confidence even more 

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l think it's called positive discrimination. you can interefere 'morally' once or twice for free if you don't like something.

also sacking him wouldn't be classed as interfering, right?

Very true and a certain level of interference is acceptable, especially as it's the Rothwell family who are putting the money in...

• Like 1

l'm not blind faith backing him because my only vested interest is Latics and nearly everybody on here is the same in that regard.

Fooball with no passing or tackling is A FUCKIN SHIT TRAINING SESSION THAT ALL THE PLAYERS HATE.

it is NOT an acceptable match tactic outside of international level Football. get him told Mick. that is why he has people like you around him, to tell tje truth.