MATCH: vs Southend (A) 05/08/23

Just picked ST up, no news on Southend tickets, said at this stage likely to be POTD. If they do send some tickets probably won’t favour ST holders and will be 1st come 1st served.

Marcus took me through the lounge to the players tunnel….the pitch & stadium looks absolutely fantastic!!

3900 ST’s sold to date!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Just picked ST up, no news on Southend tickets, said at this stage likely to be POTD. If they do send some tickets probably won’t favour ST holders and will be 1st come 1st served.

Marcus took me through the lounge to the players tunnel….the pitch & stadium looks absolutely fantastic!!

3900 ST’s sold to date!

I'd get rid of the uncertainty and just switch it.

That way I can go!

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

I imagine that the players and fans will be well motivated for this. A reprieve, even temporary, and a sense of siege mentality could well give them a lift. Certainly won’t be a walk in the park for Latics. 

They have been under embargo all year, best players have left, we will be playing the under 18s. I get what you mean but we should be winning and winning comfortably. 

1-0 loss it is. 

39 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I’m calling bullshit on this now, the game is a week away and we still have absolutely no idea if it’s taking place! I truly appreciate the plight of Southend but surely the NL could have done more to clarify the status of this match.

The National League released a statement on Wednesday - https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2023/july/national-league-statement

The next date for them seems to be 23 August so no reason to suggest the fixture shouldn't take place. Doesn't seem a great leap to suggest that if Southend can't get it on because of a ground issue then it should be forfeit with a potential points deduction...

I assume Latics are (now) professional enough to be preparing on the assumption the game is on (though I wouldn't be booking trains as a fan).

3 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I’m calling bullshit on this now, the game is a week away and we still have absolutely no idea if it’s taking place! I truly appreciate the plight of Southend but surely the NL could have done more to clarify the status of this match.

Apparently they still don't have a safety certificate for the ground ( as well as having only 10 fit contracted players as of yesterday ). They've asked fans to go to the ground on Sunday to help get it ready and presumably hope to get a safety certificate next week. Their fans think, if it does go ahead ( all the NL have done is given them the go ahead to start the season which is no guarantee they'll be ready to do so ) and some are sceptical, attendance will be by pay on the day at an as yet unspecified price as they've not announced that yet.

To be honest it's a farcical situation that we are unlucky to be on the end of, must be a nightmare for the club as well trying to make plans for a fixture which is now only 7 days away, you'd think the sensible option would be to reverse their fixtures to enable them more time to get things in order, if a safety certificate isn't authorised we could face the prospect of not even being able to attend which would be a real shame.

4 hours ago, Inspectormorose. said:

Apparently they still don't have a safety certificate for the ground ( as well as having only 10 fit contracted players as of yesterday ). They've asked fans to go to the ground on Sunday to help get it ready and presumably hope to get a safety certificate next week. Their fans think, if it does go ahead ( all the NL have done is given them the go ahead to start the season which is no guarantee they'll be ready to do so ) and some are sceptical, attendance will be by pay on the day at an as yet unspecified price as they've not announced that yet.

They will probably release a club statement at 4:59pm next Friday to confirm they have a safety certificate for the game.