MATCH: vs Southend (A) 05/08/23

20 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

We don’t even try and play and that must be how they are instructed. 

Watch what happens when Norman gets the ball.  Defenders make no attempt to come short, it’s is punted up the field,  Nuttall largely doesn’t win it (not sure that’s his game) we don’t win the second ball, opposition have possession, rinse and repeat. 

The whole team sits so much deeper than the opposition, invites pressure on instead of hunting the ball. 

Don’t buy the fact players aren’t capable, being instructed to play this way, it’s awful to watch and does them no favours as individuals either. 

Same all of last lesson, same against Mansfield and seemingly same today. 

Heads dropped after conceding the first  Mansfield goal, same today, whatever happened to fighting spirit? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

there’s very little consensus on what would have been the right way to go. 

This ain’t aimed at you NZ but how the fuck can that be? 

It’s his fault we don’t have right back.

He said he was happy with Sutton. 

He presided our worst run in recent history by playing 352. 

He hasn’t bought in the right players for 352.

He turned it last season around playing 442. 

So what does he do. . ????

Plays a centre half as wing back in a formation that nearly cost him job. 

It’s staggeringly brainless. 

The sensible thing to do would have been to play Hobson at right back (not great- but the best we’ve got)  in a 442 play Gardner in the middle with Sheron with tollit and Willoughby left and right. I’m not saying that side would have won- but at least it shows some attacking intent and has people roughly playing where they belong.

We had 7 of the 10 players today playing a defensive role. . . and we wonder why we created nothing. 

• Like 7

I watched the first half. Defence overworked with some ease, mid-field invisible making the front two almost redundant.

Our midfield is incapable of moving the ball and themselves quickly or making a decent pass efficiently on too many occasions. It’s incredible that it’s not been sorted by now. Both Mansfield and Southend made us look mediocre. 
0-4, yellow cards and a red indicate a struggle, not a bad day at the office. Too early perhaps to judge the new players but doubts are stacking up against those coaching them. 

• Like 2

Imagine doing all that positive business to bring in some really good attacking players... then starting first game of the season with 5 defenders (including a centre half at wingback) and two (shit) defensive midfielders 😂

Fuck off. I was prepared to give him time but I traveled a long way to watch one of the most pathetic, cowardly, incompetent displays I've ever seen in 27 years watching Latics. He's never gonna change, it's all about not losing instead of winning. I feel sorry for Norwood tbh. If we don't win on Saturday fire Unsworth into the fucking sun

Excuse my language 

• Like 4

I am surprised how angry I am after travelling 200 miles and spending £££ again to watch that shambles of a football team.

For those saying it’s crazy to talk about changing the manager after one game, it isn’t one game, it is most of last season where Unsworth played negative, mind numbing football and players out of position.

I feel completely deflated after today and think I’ll take a break from going to games until he’s gone, I honestly don’t see the point and can’t really afford it atm

• Like 2

To cheer myself up I've just watched us beat Luton 1-0 away on the Big Match from 1978, it was on ITV4 this morning.

Two teams trying to win the match... how did we ever get from that to this modern 'don't lose at all costs' mentality?

I live in an area dominated by United and City fans, but I've always supported Latics loudly and proudly amongst them... today was utterly shocking and embarrassing. 

Maybe it's sometimes darkest before dawn...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I honestly thought Norwood had come in as a direct replacement for Nuttall so the fact they were named in the same team was a bit bewildering even more so given the form of Fondop pre season, Reid travelling and not even on the bench is equally confusing. I'm presuming Gardner was fit given the bench options, why didn't we see him on for Shelton or Sheron?.

I honestly didn’t think Nuttall was that bad today. The problems were the way the back line set up, an inept midfield and a poor goalkeeping performance.

The way we set up was all wrong. We should have gone at them from the off and put the game to bed early doors, knowing they’d have nothing to bring off the bench
Instead we allowed a far better better footballing side to play far better football, and then laid down without a whimper to a better side.

Pathetic.

2 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Thought Ebbrells response on official website was pathetic.

No anger just calm acceptance of poor play and result. Where is the fire we need to sort this team out. Once again he thinks training will correct everything.It won't. Chesterfield had desire to win today and played up to the end and got their reward.How great it would be to see a latics

team with desire and belief oh and effort.

God help us if Unsworth gets long covid.

He's a melt... end of

The Dumbfuck Lemsagam (in hindsight) actually appointed quite a few good Managers, all of whom would be likely to get more of a tune out of the squad assembled over the past year or so than Unsworth and his team of football genius clones. All it needs is half an attacking mindset and we should be flying with the players we've had and got since he came in....but no, he hasn't adapted one iota to the demands of this league despite lessons handed out week after week by teams with lesser 'on paper' ability and far less of a budget. New players arrive weekly spouting what a big club we are and the plan to get us back to where we 'belong'

We fucking ARE where we belong because of our managerial insistence on playing negative, defence first 'football' in a league where attacking intent and sleeves rolled up hardness wins the day far more often than the shite we offer up week after week. We have a squad capable of challenging but if we aren't going to challenge the teams we come up against, it's a waste of time. It almost seems like the better the squad we assemble, the more clueless the tactics become.

Like quite a few have rightly said today, it's not one game....it's a continuation of his preferred style of play and now with HIS squad. He only ever gets a performance when circumstances dictate he needs to change his hand due to injuries or suspensions, a consequence of which is players rolling up their collective sleeves and playing a more ad-hoc and conventioanal attacking formation.

He won't be going anywhere any time soon because the ownership has invested heavily in him and his entourage but there is no chance of meaningful progress as long as he is in charge of team affairs. We might sit more comfortably than we did for the most part last year but forget contending for promotion, his system is incompatible with the league and sadly, the wishes of most supporters.

Unsworth out!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, otid said:

He only ever gets a performance when circumstances dictate he needs to change his hand due to injuries or suspensions, a consequence of which is players rolling up their collective sleeves and playing a more ad-hoc and conventioanal attacking formation.

Absolutely bang on.

Or when he ‘stumbles’ on 442 after 3 wins in first 17 games. 

21 minutes ago, otid said:

The Dumbfuck Lemsagam (in hindsight) actually appointed quite a few good Managers, all of whom would be likely to get more of a tune out of the squad assembled over the past year or so than Unsworth and his team of football genius clones. All it needs is half an attacking mindset and we should be flying with the players we've had and got since he came in....but no, he hasn't adapted one iota to the demands of this league despite lessons handed out week after week by teams with lesser 'on paper' ability and far less of a budget. New players arrive weekly spouting what a big club we are and the plan to get us back to where we 'belong'

We fucking ARE where we belong because of our managerial insistence on playing negative, defence first 'football' in a league where attacking intent and sleeves rolled up hardness wins the day far more often than the shite we offer up week after week. We have a squad capable of challenging but if we aren't going to challenge the teams we come up against, it's a waste of time. It almost seems like the better the squad we assemble, the more clueless the tactics become.

Like quite a few have rightly said today, it's not one game....it's a continuation of his preferred style of play and now with HIS squad. He only ever gets a performance when circumstances dictate he needs to change his hand due to injuries or suspensions, a consequence of which is players rolling up their collective sleeves and playing a more ad-hoc and conventioanal attacking formation.

He won't be going anywhere any time soon because the ownership has invested heavily in him and his entourage but there is no chance of meaningful progress as long as he is in charge of team affairs. We might sit more comfortably than we did for the most part last year but forget contending for promotion, his system is incompatible with the league and sadly, the wishes of most supporters.

Unsworth out!

Still up Tony😂😂

I could talk about it all night but it wouldn’t make any difference…we’d lost that game before a ball was kicked.

Drastic rethink needed and quickly!!

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Still up Tony😂😂

I could talk about it all night but it wouldn’t make any difference…we’d lost that game before a ball was kicked.

Drastic rethink needed and quickly!!

Last thing before bed pal….. couldn’t sleep without getting ‘him’ off my chest🙄

Stupidly, I let the time of close season and the new signings lull me into thinking we were assembling a squad ready for ‘a right go’ at this league. I’m sure Frank and the board feel the same way with the outlay they’ve made and it’s a shame their faith is being taken advantage of. Unsworth is a football charlatan.

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I honestly thought Norwood had come in as a direct replacement for Nuttall so the fact they were named in the same team was a bit bewildering even more so given the form of Fondop pre season, Reid travelling and not even on the bench is equally confusing. I'm presuming Gardner was fit given the bench options, why didn't we see him on for Shelton or Sheron?.

What was evident yesterday was that Norwood will be a huge asset to the team - his positional play and work rate were good. However his touch let him down on occasions and, in common with far too many others wearing tangerine, he was too easily dispossessed.

As I said earlier, when I saw the starting eleven my reaction was one of disbelief.

It’s dangerous to judge after a single competitive game but, of the other new signings who started, neither Hobson nor Ward impressed - and Raglan was very inconsistent. 
Dickenson, one woeful cross apart, brought some urgency to the left flank when he came on.

We had the opportunity to bring on a third substitute - Willoughby or Gardner - so why didn’t we?

Yesterday was an utter shambles from team selection, through on pitch setup to individual performances. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheBigDog said:

What was evident yesterday was that Norwood will be a huge asset to the team - his positional play and work rate were good. However his touch let him down on occasions and, in common with far too many others wearing tangerine, he was too easily dispossessed.

As I said earlier, when I saw the starting eleven my reaction was one of disbelief.

It’s dangerous to judge after a single competitive game but, of the other new signings who started, neither Hobson nor Ward impressed - and Raglan was very inconsistent. 
Dickenson, one woeful cross apart, brought some urgency to the left flank when he came on.

We had the opportunity to bring on a third substitute - Willoughby or Gardner - so why didn’t we?

Yesterday was an utter shambles from team selection, through on pitch setup to individual performances. 

Anyone watching that game yesterday could see we needed someone with composure and who could pass a ball our midfield, except our coaching staff. I can't believe they didn't bring Gardner on. He isn't a world beater but he can control and pass a ball which is more than the other two can. If he wasn't fit why was he there?

9 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Imagine doing all that positive business to bring in some really good attacking players... then starting first game of the season with 5 defenders (including a centre half at wingback) and two (shit) defensive midfielders 😂

Fuck off. I was prepared to give him time but I traveled a long way to watch one of the most pathetic, cowardly, incompetent displays I've ever seen in 27 years watching Latics. He's never gonna change, it's all about not losing instead of winning. I feel sorry for Norwood tbh. If we don't win on Saturday fire Unsworth into the fucking sun

Excuse my language 

He's too loyal to certain players, this could well be his downfall.

8 hours ago, otid said:

Unsworth out!

You are correct Wrexham and Notts County didnt go up by playing negative football. With all the money spent on forwards we should be following the same philosophy.

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I thought DU said his training programme would prevent injuries like that, looks like over trained to me.

Players can still get injured

9 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

He was referring to the post match interview and I agree with diggleblue. Ebbrell =  Mr Motivator.....😂

Ye, which is irrelevant. Its what got said in the changing room that matters 

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are correct Wrexham and Notts County didnt go up by playing negative football. With all the money spent on forwards we should be following the same philosophy.

Bring back Kewell

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

agree. Teams that win leagues will dominate spells of games and force teams back or put them under sustained pressure. 

Unsy likes his teams to get back in shape when we don’t have the ball. It’ll be even worse to watch that next week when we are at home playing that style against aldershot who will be a mid table team. There’s nothing to suggest he’ll employ a front foot style that gives us a chance to dominate games 

What surprises me most is that Frank being such a positive person is allowing such negativity to continue on the playing side.

It's said owners shouldn't interfere, but I feel he needs to stamp his own philosophy on the club and let the manager know the ultra defensive mentality has to change...and quickly.

Some will shoot me down as usual, but in this  case I dont care, I want far better than these ponderous tactics on the field.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What surprises me most is that Frank being such a positive person is allowing such negativity to continue on the playing side.

It's said owners shouldn't interfere,  but in this case I feel he needs to stamp his own philosophy on the club and let the manager know the ultra defensive mentality has to change...and quickly.

Some will shoot me down as usual, but in this  case I dont care, I want far better than these ponderous tactics on the field.

Boardroom interference, an interesting concept 🤔 

• Like 3