BPAS PODCAST: 31st July '23, S4E2: 2023/24 Predictions

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l liked the bit on the pod where Matts passion resurfaced because southend couldn't muster up their version of him/andy/dave or any of the other Heroes who stepped up for us.

if southend havent got any of them in the fanbase then theyre proper fucked.

We were lucky to be saved and lucky to have a club today going down the route we took, for me the hero of the the day was Darren Royle who somehow through Jimmy Schofield managed to bring the Rothwells to the table who were then won over not by the protests but the support for the club by the Athleticos and felt compelled to step in.

No doubt about it in my mind we would of been the next Bury without this intervention, Southends situation is far less complex than ours and ultimately I can see them being saved albeit it may take a little more time, our club being saved was nothing short of a miracle. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes at Southend and where the effort is being directed my only hope is that they ultimately end up with what we've got which is a club they can be proud of with owners they deserve.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We were lucky to be saved and lucky to have a club today going down the route we took, for me the hero of the the day was Darren Royle who somehow through Jimmy Schofield managed to bring the Rothwells to the table who were then won over not by the protests but the support for the club by the Athleticos and felt compelled to step in.

No doubt about it in my mind we would of been the next Bury without this intervention, Southends situation is far less complex than ours and ultimately I can see them being saved albeit it may take a little more time, our club being saved was nothing short of a miracle. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes at Southend and where the effort is being directed my only hope is that they ultimately end up with what we've got which is a club they can be proud of with owners they deserve.

not disagreeing but Matt bent almost every ear in the UK and further for about four years and is probably getting stick over what he said (l don't do X or AOL chat or any of that jazz) so lm jussayin

yeah Darren Royle fuckinell he deserves a gold brick that mans role has become apparant over time in snippet form and yes what a guy.

Edited by Monty Burns
went further

7 hours ago, Ackey said:

I think I share both your concerns, that he's not quite got it right and could be found out this year, I really do. But equally, I can think that whilst I still accept that patience and understanding will be better for us long term. The problem with our past is plentiful and complex, but a huge part of it is pessimism, impatience, infighting, glorification of the distant past, etc. etc. etc.

Does that mean DU should get forever if he's missing the mark...? No. 

Does that mean DU should get some positive thinking, forward looking, patient support...? Yes.

I've said it on here so, so often - we have far more in common than in contrast and there's 98% mutual grey area which goes unseen or unsaid in place of the 1% opposite ends, who heckle from a distance like the only voices in the room.  To be clear, unequivocally I am not saying that's you two as the people I quoted here. Just a summation of how things tend to be. 

I do agree that the last 10 years makes us particularly desperate/impatient. But I would counter that, by asking how low do we have to go where we can reasonably expect to go well? 

My main point though is this. 

When AL was here, every fair minded fan said- you can’t judge the manager under these owners. Ok fair enough. 

When DU was appointed he started under fabulous owners, but the pod lads stated- you can’t turn everything around that quickly and again- you can’t Judge the manager. After thinking about this, I tended to agree. 

He’s now had a great summer, cleared the dead wood and been backed again, but there still seems to be this thinking of, if he struggles -  let’s not get on his back, or let’s give the right amount time to judge him. . .

So with fabulous owners, it seems like we still can’t the judge the manager if he struggles- after 12 months in charge and relatively great backing 

How does that work? 

It’s like he’s a club ambassador sometimes, and not a football manager. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ackey said:

Does that mean DU should get some positive thinking, forward looking, patient support...? Yes.

50 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So with fabulous owners, it seems like we still can’t the judge the manager if he struggles- after 12 months in charge and relatively great backing 

Chris, I think Ackey answers the point eloquently..... and is what we were trying to discuss. He can't expect patience in a state of perpetuity.... but it would be bloody handy if folk didn't instantly jump on his back if we aren't playing like Brazil from the off..... some people are itching to say 'I told you so' if we aren't instantly in a two horse race with Chesterfield for the title..... for me (Andy) Top 7 is a minimum requirement, or questions - quite rightly - will be asked.....

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Chris, I think Ackey answers the point eloquently..... and is what we were trying to discuss. He can't expect patience in a state of perpetuity.... but it would be bloody handy if folk didn't instantly jump on his back if we aren't playing like Brazil from the off..... some people are itching to say 'I told you so' if we aren't instantly in a two horse race with Chesterfield for the title..... for me (Andy) Top 7 is a minimum requirement, or questions - quite rightly - will be asked.....

It baffles mean when people moan about people moaning about the season ahead, when it hasn’t even started yet.

it’s almost like they want it to happen so they can moan about the moaners

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

It baffles mean when people moan about people moaning about the season ahead, when it hasn’t even started yet.

Well, that’s because you see those itching to moan, beginning to moan….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

Pisses me off that some think we have a god given right to play like prime Brazil.

We've been shit for 20 years, but cos it's not Shez or Ritchie, then Unsworth (or whoever it is) gets a load of grief, simply because their face doesn't fit.

Agree that Top 7 is a minimum, and would show progress (progress we were already starting to see back end of last season) and by Unsworth's own admissions, it's something he should really be achieving.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'd just like to come out of a match thinking, yep, we dominated that and deserved the win.

Not having a dig at DU before anyone shoots me down. But I just don’t think we will ever feel that under him. We sit back, keep narrow and hope the quality of our players will get us through games, that’s just how it is with DU. 

Edited by LightDN123

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Not having a dig at DU before anyone shoots me down. But I just don’t think we will ever feel that under him. We sit back, keep narrow and hope the quality of our players will get us through games, that’s just how it is with DU. 

Depressing isn't it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

A few people have reservations about Unsworth being able to cut the mustard, that's not moaning, that is having an opinion on what we have seen so far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

Andy, as always the truth lies in the middle. 

You are polarising the debate into the mad fan who wants him gone after two losses or let’s him give time. It’s more nuanced than that for the vast majority of folk.  I’m not for one minute advocating getting on his back after a few games, but if he’s bottom half in Oct/Nov then it’s not unreasonable for fans to question him. Or do you not think that’s fair? 

I also think fans get carried away with what he’s ‘building.’ The club are doing an amazing job of building it. . .  for the incumbent manager to have success. It’s his job to turn the infrastructure into results- which to be fair he had started to do.

Let’s hope it continues. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'd just like to come out of a match thinking, yep, we dominated that and deserved the win.

I’ve normally got a memory like a sieve but I think that’s what I thought coming out of barnet away. But it’s all subjective isn’t it? We could play well for 70 of the 90 and, depending where you sit on the Unsworth spectrum, that be considered either dominating or not good enough largely because of confirmation bias. 

Which is why the moan and counter moan debate will probably happen as long as he’s manager. 

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Pisses me off that some think we have a god given right to play like prime Brazil.

Nobody is saying or expecting that Gaz. 

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Agree that Top 7 is a minimum, and would show progress (progress we were already starting to see back end of last season) and by Unsworth's own admissions, it's something he should really be achieving.

Agreed. 

So if he does struggle to meet minimum requirements then fans aren’t being overly demanding or not seeing the bigger picture for asking questions. (Not claiming that is what you are saying) 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Did you go to Dorking as we dominated that game for most of it? OK their defence was shit, but we outclassed them, and I think had some hand in their defence being shit.

It is my understanding that we dominated the game at Yeovil too and possibly a few other games in the second half of last season.

We could end up absolutely battering Southend, we could end up sneaking a victory or even something worse. I feel Southend's situation has the air of Bolton's a few years ago. They lost a lot of their fixtures in August but their opening fixture was tight until the 2nd half. But their other league losses in August were by 5 goals.

Edited by rudemedic

7 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Did you go to Dorking as we dominated that game for most of it? OK their defence was shit, but we outclassed them, and I think had some hand in their defence being shit.

It is my understanding that we dominated the game at Yeovil too and possibly a few other games in the second half of last season.

We could end up absolutely battering Southend, we could end up sneaking a victory or even something worse. I feel Southend's situation has the air of Bolton's a few years ago. They lost a lot of their fixtures in August but their opening fixture was tight until the 2nd half. But their other league losses in August were by 5 goals.

Don't forget that Southend can still put out a first eleven that's barely changed from their first choice last season 

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

this is proper boring. ignorant as fuck vladolf type online disengengenuity and needs to stop.

we are ckearly talking about a real thing, a genuine group of people excited to be negative and you either know it and are part of it or just being dense.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Don't forget that Southend can still put out a first eleven that's barely changed from their first choice last season 

plenty already have already filed that under irellevent. theres an absolute level of pressure unseen at the club before from a quite large and varied group of people who don't know how to handle pressure. either bc theyre this new breed of entitled youth never been told No. or they sit in the main stand and have bad tempers, also because they have never grasped the meaning of the word No.

l had trepidation of it before pre seaaon and in 1/3rd of those pre season games we have had undoubtable booing and abuse hurled. in pre season.

thats not 'preparing to moan about moaners' that is simply calling a knobhead a fuckin knobhead.

fuckoff somewhere else, go get a job on southend SAG you sad, pathetic traffic warden cunts.

Edited by Monty Burns
job. a job on SAG. not a hob. thats bo good.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

So for Yeovil I'd say we looked comfortable and a disciplined unit, but it's not a match that I'd think of as one that we dominated, nor that I can think of many we did.  More that we picked our moments to attack and made them count (something I'd happily accept this coming season if it's on a regular basis).  We deserved to win of course but that was mainly down to them being abysmally bad in attack.

I actually thought we were more dominant at home to Bromley the following week despite not winning.

30 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So for Yeovil I'd say we looked comfortable and a disciplined unit, but it's not a match that I'd think of as one that we dominated, nor that I can think of many we did.  More that we picked our moments to attack and made them count (something I'd happily accept this coming season if it's on a regular basis).  We deserved to win of course but that was mainly down to them being abysmally bad in attack.

I actually thought we were more dominant at home to Bromley the following week despite not winning.

I've watched latics for 57years and last year at the beginning was really bad.Has everyone forgotten how bad the first half of last season was?

Crap football awful results and then the embarrassment of Halifax yes Halifax at home.Zero shots.I don't want to say where we should be at the end of this season but please give us some football,give us a few good performances and a few good results oh and a RB.and please play the players in their correct positions

I really hope D.U can achieve this. I don't like being on his back but I really want to enjoy watching us again.Please.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Exactly. Despite the fact that they’ve been under a transfer embargo for twelve months, lost plenty of players in that time without being able to replace them, had no pre season as such, they ‘re hanging by a thread and their owner is still their ripping the heart and soul out of the club and have only 14 registered players, they’ve no excuses.