Unsworth Out

Depends on the boards ambitions for this season. If as per Norwood it's automatic promotion, then Unsworth gets 3 more games. If it's to scrape into the playoffs, then he has the first 10 games of this season. The biggest frustration for me is for all the progress being made off the pitch, is at risk of being ruined by the lack of progress on the pitch. I am not seeing any real progress under Unsworth and he's been backed by the Rothwells. My concern is their investment is being wasted by the coaching and management methods of Unsworth. Also the role of the recruitment department has to come into question, regarding a disconnect between them and Unsworth. 

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

it’s no different than Chesterfield getting Paul Cook two divisions above (from Ipswich) or Leyton Orient getting Wellens from a division above (from Doncaster). Why would Wild not consider an approach from a bigger club, with a bigger ambition and a job where he’d have all the tools he’d need for success? Not to mention the emotional attachment he’ll naturally have.

People suggesting Wild is out of our ball park is on a par with Detective Shitpeas claiming we can’t afford promotion. Absolute nonsense.

I'd be happy for Wild to come back, but Barrow finished 9th in L2 last season. Is there evidence that their ambitions are less than ours?

42 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'd be happy for Wild to come back, but Barrow finished 9th in L2 last season. Is there evidence that their ambitions are less than ours?

No but their crowds are none league, training set a bit random (altho better thanwhat we did when he was here!!)

and it can't be easy to get players to go or stay there

52 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

Depends on the boards ambitions for this season. If as per Norwood it's automatic promotion, then Unsworth gets 3 more games. If it's to scrape into the playoffs, then he has the first 10 games of this season. The biggest frustration for me is for all the progress being made off the pitch, is at risk of being ruined by the lack of progress on the pitch. I am not seeing any real progress under Unsworth and he's been backed by the Rothwells. My concern is their investment is being wasted by the coaching and management methods of Unsworth. Also the role of the recruitment department has to come into question, regarding a disconnect between them and Unsworth. 

l think youve called it. if wet flannell our way to two losses comin up he doesn't even see chesterfield.

l think the players will show up for him again like last season after county away.

Edited by Monty Burns
clarification

5 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I still think we are talking way too early about this. It is one game. 

IF Pete Wild wanted it, I'd be happy with that change and think it could be great. I'd have zero issues with that.

A punt on some other random non-leaguer? Too soon

You're right... Far too early. The fact its even being discussed reflects the number of people who have any confidence it will get better. 

Under normal circumstances, it'd be crazy. All a bit foreboding.

I wonder what the club would do under these circumstances and with the snippets of news that are being talked about, do we think it's just left up to Royle to conduct a post mortem or will they call some sort of meeting to try and get everything back on an even keel, I suppose the biggest indicator will be how the team reacts on Saturday, if that goes tits up I reckon they will be put in an almost impossible position.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I wonder what the club would do under these circumstances and with the snippets of news that are being talked about, do we think it's just left up to Royle to conduct a post mortem or will they call some sort of meeting to try and get everything back on an even keel, I suppose the biggest indicator will be how the team reacts on Saturday, if that goes tits up I reckon they will be put in an almost impossible position.

I don’t think they’ll be any alarm whatsoever at the club, and if anything I think they’ll be shocked at the reaction to what they will see as ‘one game’. 

He’s going absolutely nowhere unless it becomes untenable, which clearly after a one game or even 5/10 games isn’t the case. If we’re still struggling by Oct then they might consider it. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think they’ll be any alarm whatsoever at the club, and if anything I think they’ll be shocked at the reaction to what they will see as ‘one game’. 

He’s going absolutely nowhere unless it becomes untenable, which clearly after a one game or even 5/10 games isn’t the case. If we’re still struggling by Oct then they might consider it. 

l can't see it going anywhere near that long, he burned up about 10 games worth of backing in one weekend.

luckily the points are still there so its ok. just.

10 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

I think he'd be tempted. There are definitely a few on here who could confirm or deny that but with some assurances with a long-term project, you'd think our ceiling is higher than Barrow's.

The same long term project DU was sold?

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

l can't see it going anywhere near that long, he burned up about 10 games worth of backing in one weekend.

luckily the points are still there so its ok. just.

Maybe Monts- I just think they’re all very considered and balanced decision makers. Last season proved they won’t bow to fan pressure, and that was after a far worse run than one or a few games. (They were proved right to stick with him, because he did turn things around) 

Having said that, he’s one bad run away from it - and I think they will consider a run as ten games ish. 

1 minute ago, Lags said:

The same long term project DU was sold?

that's a fair point Lags,- don't think there is really long term in football its all about the near term.

I feel it is a bit different to when he was here previously. Then everything was short term. Now there is a developing supporting infrastructure. You can imagine Frank has a vision of 'the Oldham way' and that future management and staff recruitment will be focused on people who fit that vision. (I'd like that to include players too but I'm not sure I see that yet)

Still will be results driven though perhaps with a little more time. I accept the clock is ticking for DU unless he delivers clear consistent improvement.

Pete Wild coming back? I'm sure some here know his personal circumstances but if I said to the Mrs I was going to have another crack at a place that sacked me/ made me ill it would be hard sell no mater how much I wanted it. I think it will need more than a payday but I've never spoken to the guy so its just an opinion on a forum.

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No chance,

Lose both home games and I have a feeling that'll be enough, anything from the Chesterfield game will be a bonus.

This allow him 10 games nonsense won't rub this time, improvement is needed rapidly

13 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

No chance,

Lose both home games and I have a feeling that'll be enough, anything from the Chesterfield game will be a bonus.

This allow him 10 games nonsense won't rub this time, improvement is needed rapidly

I hope you’re right- because I agree with you. Just trying to see it from the club’s perspective- he still has two years left etc etc. 

58 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

You're right... Far too early. The fact its even being discussed reflects the number of people who have any confidence it will get better. 

Under normal circumstances, it'd be crazy. All a bit foreboding.

I think he's just very unpopular. Nobody enjoys his brand of football, and very few of us have any confidence he's the man to take us up. If there aren't instant results the fans will turn. Might not have been the case without Saturday's shambles.

I was prepared to give him a clean slate this season but Saturday was so, so, so bad that I've lost what little faith I had already. 

• Like 2

He needs six points really from the next two and we should have enough to get that, if there is any repeat on Saturday of what we've seen the two previous Saturdays I think that could be enough for him particularly the fact that we seem to have gone backwards, pre season looks like it's been a complete disaster and we've probably doubled the budget in the process, any business with that sort of outlay would at least want to see improvement. 

• Like 2

He needs six points really from the next two and we should have enough to get that, if there is any repeat on Saturday of what we've seen the two previous Saturdays I think that could be enough for him particularly the fact that we seem to have gone backwards, pre season looks like it's been a complete disaster and we've probably doubled the budget in the process, any business with that sort of outlay would at least want to see improvement. 

I don't think we've doubled the budget. We've got rid of a lot more than we added. I doubt Chris Porter was on peanuts for example and we don't have the squad numbers we did have. The players we added, Norwood and Raglan aside, won't be massive earners either.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Same budget as last season isn't it?

I thought they said somewhere that the budget was the same this season although I can’t see how. Regardless, one or two more pointless games and things will turn quickly. That said, I doubt they’ll part company with DU anytime soon because there’s now the injury situation which could be used to justify to some extent the performances 

Just now, True Tic said:

I thought they said somewhere that the budget was the same this season although I can’t see how. Regardless, one or two more pointless games and things will turn quickly. That said, I doubt they’ll part company with DU anytime soon because there’s now the injury situation which could be used to justify to some extent the performances 

Don't know the numbers but haven't they had another windfall from the Vaughan deal and selling the young lad to Newcastle?

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s not one game though is it ? Only time we have ever looked remotely convincing was against Dorking and Barnet. Dorking didn’t have a defence, and Barnet was hardly a great display. 

He continues to state he wants better players, he gets given them then seemingly bins them off. He’s boring, dull and arrogant, reflected in his football team. 

It is one game with his new squad. They will still take time to gel  we saw that last season. Lot of new faces there getting used to playing with others.

Has he seemingly binned these better players off? It's absolute speculation that's very slowly started to become fact as does a lot on here.

He's not particularly boring or dull, but his football is, I can't argue otherwise. Need to win and if we do, its different story. Continue losing and playing shit and then the situation should rightly be considered, but about 10-15 games in

20 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I don't think we've doubled the budget. We've got rid of a lot more than we added. I doubt Chris Porter was on peanuts for example and we don't have the squad numbers we did have. The players we added, Norwood and Raglan aside, won't be massive earners either.

If EFL sides were in for Willoughby I imagine he's on a decent wage

• Like 1