Unsworth Out

53 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Point was one game and the next 5 don't mean we can't make it up

There's dozens of examples where teams make a "comeback" over the season.

Not an exact science, though..

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And no goalkeeper  it seemed.

Norman was absolutely dreadful. The middle 2 goals should have been saved. The last one looked very odd. Will reserve judgement as we can't see all camera angles, but don't be surprised if oppo scouts are telling their attackers to shoot from distance.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 6:15 PM, LightDN123 said:

Could have found a spot in the ground on his own. Didn’t have to be with the players/coaches/fans. 

You mean on his own in a spot where he couldn't communicate with or influence anyone? There is a flaw in that reasoning, I'm sure......

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Norman was absolutely dreadful. The middle 2 goals should have been saved. The last one looked very odd. Will reserve judgement as we can't see all camera angles, but don't be surprised if oppo scouts are telling their attackers to shoot from distance.

l think theyve already been doing that seeing as we worked it out on here at least ten months ago!!!!!!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

You mean on his own in a spot where he couldn't communicate with or influence anyone? There is a flaw in that reasoning, I'm sure......

I'm not in any way advocating the original comment but mobile phone? With Ebbrell, of course.

**Edit** The whole discussion is ludicrous

Edited by Wardie

I'm certainly no fan of Unsworth but I do feel he will be here until at least the end of October unless we lose the first 4 or 5 games, which in all honesty i can't see happening, the league is that poor, we will pick up wins over the next few weeks and I can see us around the play-off positions or not too far away. However, there is a bit of over expectation regarding these signings. With the exception of Norwood who clearly is good enough to be playing 2 divisions higher, how good are the others? Ward did ok for Gateshead who finished in the bottom half, Lundstrum was playing for Alty and when tried at EFL level with Crewe didn't make the grade. Raglan was a bit part player for Cheltenham and is probably on the slide given his age. Willoughby scored goals in the league below. For all the talk of the attacking talent, I don't think it's anywhere near the standard Kewell had at his disposal 2 or 3 years ago when we were banging goals in for fun. If we had signed a lad from Gateshead, Altrincham and Chester the fans would have been in uproar. Our midfield is really poor and the recruitment team don't seem to have addressed this. How much say is Unsworth having on the recruitment? To put it bluntly, i think we are miles off challenging for the title but the league is that poor we should be in or around the play-off positions most of the season. Think we might have to adjust our expectations, Norwood won't make us a title winning side on his own as McAleney proved just a few seasons ago.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

predictable return time, but totally unpredictable balanced fair post.

apart from adjusting my expectations. fuck that!!!!

Fairly predictable since the season started yesterday and i don't bother with pre-season

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

ZING!!!!

(you've been gone longer but l'll let you kinda have the glory)

I can't remember when it was tbh but glad you were keeping tabs on me. I will add on the recruitment side, I have a feeling we have become over reliant on stats, not just Latics but people in general. They can tell you anything but I don't think you can beat what your eyes tell you. i remember Dino telling me that Mouche covered the most miles in almost every game according to the data, there was no way that could be true, I even asked him whether he wasn't sure Mouche was swopping his GPS vest with Missilou at the time. Also, why have we recruited striker after striker, is it because they haven't been happy with the ones they got in the first place, which makes you question what they are doing. We need far more balance in the squad, we have possibly too many CB's not enough MF or full backs and certainly too many forwards to keep them all happy. I personally think they will off load one or two of the forwards and hopefully recruit a couple for the middle of the park which will control the tempo of the game. What's happened with Rooney, i've heard the rumours he was training with the youths or at home with a training programme but I though Unsworth said he had found a new club? It's obvious he's not part of the plans but with 2 decent strikers to feed he could be a short term answer.

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I can't remember when it was tbh but glad you were keeping tabs on me. I will add on the recruitment side, I have a feeling we have become over reliant on stats, not just Latics but people in general. They can tell you anything but I don't think you can beat what your eyes tell you. i remember Dino telling me that Mouche covered the most miles in almost every game according to the data, there was no way that could be true, I even asked him whether he wasn't sure Mouche was swopping his GPS vest with Missilou at the time. Also, why have we recruited striker after striker, is it because they haven't been happy with the ones they got in the first place, which makes you question what they are doing. We need far more balance in the squad, we have possibly too many CB's not enough MF or full backs and certainly too many forwards to keep them all happy. I personally think they will off load one or two of the forwards and hopefully recruit a couple for the middle of the park which will control the tempo of the game. What's happened with Rooney, i've heard the rumours he was training with the youths or at home with a training programme but I though Unsworth said he had found a new club? It's obvious he's not part of the plans but with 2 decent strikers to feed he could be a short term answer.

Rooney told he can leave and is training elsewhere.

l can take this whole post seriously, but l don't have the answers!!!

keep it up 🤣🤣

• Like 1

One game played and it's like we've never been away,

Ask yourself why and throw in some rational reasoning, there isn't any.

It's like we've got rid of the snake but not the poison and it's taking the life out of us.

We should all be cock a hoop, instead it's the same old, same old. 

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

One game played and it's like we've never been away,

Ask yourself why and throw in some rational reasoning, there isn't any.

It's like we've got rid of the snake but not the poison and it's taking the life out of us.

We should all be cock a hoop, instead it's the same old, same old. 

This is my point really, whilst I don't think Unsworth is the answer, we still haven't recruited the right players. There's been a lot of hype about the ones we have recruited but there are question marks over all of them bar Norwood. Given the recruitment last season with the likes of Nuttall didn't fill me with any great confidence, i just don't think the team/squad is as good as many think it is.

8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

This is my point really, whilst I don't think Unsworth is the answer, we still haven't recruited the right players. There's been a lot of hype about the ones we have recruited but there are question marks over all of them bar Norwood. Given the recruitment last season with the likes of Nuttall didn't fill me with any great confidence, i just don't think the team/squad is as good as many think it is.

So Frank could go on spending till his face matches the shirt and still no improvement,

Absolutely sickening 

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I believe Norwood is very, very good for a NL level football team, Raglan very good, Willoughby, Lundstram and Ward are good. I believe we have good and competent players for this level in the likes of Green, Fondop, Reid, Nuttall, Hogan and Hobson.

The squad really shouldn't struggle to compete, therefore for me, the buck stops squarely at the feet of the coaching and management team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

So Frank could go on spending till his face matches the shirt and still no improvement,

Absolutely sickening 

I wouldn't say that, but spending money is no guarantee you get the recruitment right. Look at Chelsea and United over the past few seasons compared with City and Liverpool. All 4 have spent similar amounts yet 2 of them seem to have been far more successful with the players they brought in and seem to have a set plan in terms of positions and types of players they go for whilst you could argue the first 2 have had a scatter gun approach. We seem to have the scatter gun approach atm

24 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'm convinced Unsworth has reservations about Willoughby, despite scouting and trying to sign him since October...

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ye and neither is sacking the manager after 1 game of a season...

True.

Sacking him on the evidence of the entire time he's been here is, though...

• Like 1