Unsworth Out

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It really doesn't matter what any table looks like from last season . . .

So, it doesn't matter what the manager achieved in the last 4 months of last season, but it does matter what he's done in one pre-season and one league match this season? Don't be so stupid!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

I really can't believe that some supporters are calling for the manager to be sacked after one game. After one game! You need to give your heads a serious wobble. Moreover, given the investment over the summer Frank and the board would be mad to make such an asinine decision right now.

Some people seem to have forgotten that if you look at last season's form guide from the start of January to the end of the season, then Latics were the 3rd best side in the league.

www.whoscored.com/National-League-2022-2023

If we're in the bottom half of the table at the end of September - then that's a different matter.

The only table that matters is the one which started yesterday. One game in, we are rock bottom. I don’t look at the table until we are around 10 games in. But currently, we are bottom. Couldn’t give a toss about last year. 

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Some people need to untangle their knickers and remember a season isn't over after 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 games

The acceptance to just let games coast by is alarming by some of the fan base. As I said before Southend, we have never dominated a game under Unsworth, we never will. 

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Some people need to untangle their knickers and remember a season isn't over after 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 games

It isn't over but once a gap opens up between mid to lower table and consistently performing teams at the top, that gap is very difficult to close without a considerable winning streak. Are the management team and the players capable of doing that?

The optimism of the new signings has been evaporated by injuries, shite tactics and underperforming or incapable players.

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The acceptance to just let games coast by is alarming by some of the fan base. As I said before Southend, we have never dominated a game under Unsworth, we never will. 

17 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It isn't over but once a gap opens up between mid to lower table and consistently performing teams at the top, that gap is very difficult to close without a considerable winning streak. Are the management team and the players capable of doing that?

The optimism of the new signings has been evaporated by injuries, shite tactics and underperforming or incapable players.

When stockport won this league they won 2 out of their first 7, including losing 3-1 on opening day. 

Barrow lost 6 of their opening 9 when they won it 19/20

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

So, it doesn't matter what the manager achieved in the last 4 months of last season, but it does matter what he's done in one pre-season and one league match this season? Don't be so stupid!

Stupidity to me is expecting to be competitive because we did alright from Christmas, it's not a given and plenty of teams have finished seasons strongly only to go down the next. We have zero points and -4 goals in the form table that counts.

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

When stockport won this league they won 2 out of their first 7, including losing 3-1 on opening day. 

Barrow lost 6 of their opening 9 when they won it 19/20

It wasn’t the fact that we lost, it was the manner in which we lost….we were never remotely in the game from start to finish.
Considering their current situation, their lack of fitness and the fact they were struggling to raise a match day squad yet still strolled to an easy win are also mitigating factors!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It wasn’t the fact that we lost, it was the manner in which we lost….we were never remotely in the game from start to finish.
Considering their current situation, their lack of fitness and the fact they were struggling to raise a match day squad yet still strolled to an easy win are also mitigating factors!

Professional players, they wouldn't have been lacking for fitness.

2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

I really can't believe that some supporters are calling for the manager to be sacked after one game. After one game! You need to give your heads a serious wobble. Moreover, given the investment over the summer Frank and the board would be mad to make such an asinine decision right now.

Some people seem to have forgotten that if you look at last season's form guide from the start of January to the end of the season, then Latics were the 3rd best side in the league.

www.whoscored.com/National-League-2022-2023

If we're in the bottom half of the table at the end of September - then that's a different matter.

There is more chance of Unsworth producing an all out attacking team that scores for fun, than there is of anyone forgetting the form from 1 Jan to the end of last season, because Unsworth fans bang on about it incessantly. But hang on a minute:

1 Jan - end season: P24 W11 D8 L5 F40 A27 Pts 41 Win % 45.83 Goals per game 1.67

Overall league record P38 W13 D11 L14 F53 A54 Pts 50 Win % 34.21 Goals per game 1.39

Yes there was an improvement in results H2 and we went from 22nd to 12th in the table. But does 11 wins from 24 mean we should just sit back and give Unsworth ever more time? I want to see us winning the majority of games, not 46% of them. The second half of last season also saw us lose 3-1 at home to Gateshead in the FA Trophy, ending any hope of a Cup run and visit to Wembley. When you’ve been starved of great days out for as long as we have, that matters.

The best you can say about last season’s run is that Unsworth made us hard to beat - 5 defeats in 24 is good. But given the backing from the Rothwells, we should expect much more from Unsworth. The clock is ticking for me .

• Like 1

How do you know their lack of fitness ? My info from a Southend fan is that was a smoke screen .Playing against siege mentality is always difficult , which is what Mather created .

Its one game,  massive over reaction again fron the haters as usual which will never change .

They exploited our main weakness no right back which admittedly should have been fixed before yesterdays game but  another signing we made took over resources. I wonder if covid has been an issue around the squad which would explain certain players not getting as many game time  minutes. This  would also explain tiredness in the last 10 minutes, as well as being down to ten men. And there was a lack of info from the club for a while .  As dissapointing as it is lets hope its a one off , and keep hold of all the positive things we now have as a club. I think there are more great days to come this season which will erase the memory of yesterday .And hopefully a right back this week . Sutton needs to go out on loan to play in his no5 position .

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Professional players, they wouldn't have been lacking for fitness.

They had 2 pre-season friendlies, we had, six was it? They certainly shouldn’t have been as match fit as us. Yet they managed to score 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. Go figure.

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

They had 2 pre-season friendlies, we had, six was it? They certainly shouldn’t have been as match fit as us. Yet they managed to score 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. Go figure.

Opening day, the emotion of the day for them, all factors to consider.

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

I was at the game and when the second goal went in on 83 minutes it looked like some of the players just stopped and gave up, Norman (pathetic performance), Kitching, Sheron, Shelton, Raglan in particular.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

We did have a man less.