Unsworth Out

At least the Head of recruitment was on the pitch clapping the away support after the warm up on Saturday, if I were him I'd be concentrating on what I was primarily brought in to do as that side of his role appears to have gone tits up.

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm convinced Unsworth has reservations about Willoughby, despite scouting and trying to sign him since October...

That would be totally bizarre, though, wouldn't it?
What manager in his right mind would do that?

24 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ye and neither is sacking the manager after 1 game of a season...

He's not going to get the sack anytime soon.

Win on Saturday and the following Tuesday then things will take on an entirely different complexion. Lose on Saturday and win on Tuesday, maybe he will get away with it. Lose both however and the shit will definitely hit the fan.

36 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I believe Norwood is very, very good for a NL level football team, Raglan very good, Willoughby, Lundstram and Ward are good. I believe we have good and competent players for this level in the likes of Green, Fondop, Reid, Nuttall, Hogan and Hobson.

The squad really shouldn't struggle to compete, therefore for me, the buck stops squarely at the feet of the coaching and management team.

And they're all his signings anyway. Either way, he's not really got an excuse this season. Early doors but he'll know the buck stops with him now. He's been given a lot of leeway so far. I think he'll be feeling the pressure already.

1 minute ago, longtimeblue said:

And they're all his signings anyway. Either way, he's not really got an excuse this season. Early doors but he'll know the buck stops with him now. He's been given a lot of leeway so far. I think he'll be feeling the pressure already.

I honestly do not think he will be feeling any pressure whatsoever. He is thick-skinned and steeped in self-belief of his competence as a manager. He will constantly tell us how the players look good in training and deflect any flak away from himself.

10 minutes ago, Wardie said:

He's not going to get the sack anytime soon.

Win on Saturday and the following Tuesday then things will take on an entirely different complexion. Lose on Saturday and win on Tuesday, maybe he will get away with it. Lose both however and the shit will definitely hit the fan.

Two wins and a draw at Chesterfield the minimum for a complexion change, I reckon...

38 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

At least the Head of recruitment was on the pitch clapping the away support after the warm up on Saturday, if I were him I'd be concentrating on what I was primarily brought in to do as that side of his role appears to have gone tits up.

You think taking a few hours training a day is stopping him doing his main job? Doubt it. Ten scouts they have. 

You've sunk to moaning about a member of staff clapping supporters. 

Get a grip. Even you must see how ridiculous tht post is. Almost ad bad as the clown who made out it was a disgrace that the manager wasn't there despite obviously being too ill to be

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not really. Too many on here will have been secretly loving that result yesterday as it just poured fuel on their miserable outlook

What a load of tosh that is,

Nobody on here takes any pleasure from seeing their home town team lose,

I know full well I don't, infact I bloody hate it and the miserable outlook has been cast upon us.

It needs to be gone for good

• Like 1

The more I read this thread the more depressed I become….we’re stuck with this management team and nothing is going to change…we’ll lose some, draw some and win some and finish upper mid table and spend next summer debating if we should give Unsworth and Ebrell another season to change their approach.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You think taking a few hours training a day is stopping him doing his main job? Doubt it. Ten scouts they have. 

Judged on yesterday I'd suggest it is stopping him doing his main job given the position we were short on 6 months or more ago are still causing us problems, what next Ebbrell working behind the bar in the fan zone?.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

The more I read this thread the more depressed I become….we’re stuck with this management team and nothing is going to change…we’ll lose some, draw some and win some and finish upper mid table and spend next summer debating if we should give Unsworth and Ebrell another season to change their approach.

There's no way they survive a season in upper mid table, too many fans will spontaneously combust in the meantime to allow for that.

6 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

l could accept that if l could see that they were, but l won't accept shit like saturday again. l don't think anybody at the club will including DU and the staff.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Judged on yesterday I'd suggest it is stopping him doing his main job given the position we were short on 6 months or more ago are still causing us problems, what next Ebbrell working behind the bar in the fan zone?.

No. You're being very silly. As stated before, sinking to the depths of slagging off a staff member for clapping the crowd. Embarrassing behaviour 

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not really. Too many on here will have been secretly loving that result yesterday as it just poured fuel on their miserable outlook

So people on here enjoy being shit because they've got miserable lives/have something personal against Unsworth?

Righto 👍.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeteG said:

This is my point really, whilst I don't think Unsworth is the answer, we still haven't recruited the right players. There's been a lot of hype about the ones we have recruited but there are question marks over all of them bar Norwood. Given the recruitment last season with the likes of Nuttall didn't fill me with any great confidence, i just don't think the team/squad is as good as many think it is.

That's an interesting view. I would say that most people (including the bookies) looked at the squad ahead of the Southend game and thought we'd recruited decently over the summer and so we looked on paper a decent promotion bet (I know bookies' odds reflect weight of money staked, but they are also usually a reflection of consensus views). What I find worrying about Unsworth and the coaching team is that there is scant evidence since his/their arrival of players being improved by him and his team. Whether that's down to playing certain players out of position, or an overly risk-averse mindset, I'm not sure. It's important to recruit well , of course, but it's also important to develop players and I just can't think of an example of Unsworth achieving that. In fact you could argue that some players have declined under his management.

• Like 4

lm not on twitter and I'm not a mod unless you mean how l dress and the music l like so l don't know if it's personal hate filled vitriol, but l must say the viewpoints on here are mostly valid and being delivered fairly. actually l think l said this yesterday but l like that off the cuff mod pun so l'm gona carry on typing and then click on submit reply

13 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

What a load of tosh that is,

Nobody on here takes any pleasure from seeing their home town team lose,

I know full well I don't, infact I bloody hate it and the miserable outlook has been cast upon us.

It needs to be gone for good

Well said Littlemoor  Lad.

Many fans spend a lot of hard earned money supporting Latics and even when we loose I'm not disheartened IF we have done our best .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

even when we lose I'm not disheartened IF we have done our best .

But nether the management nor the playing staff did anywhere close to their best on Saturday.

So the negative reaction to the team setup and performance is understandable.

I think the board will pull the trigger by the end of the month if we haven't registered a win or a couple of decent performances by then.

I was sick to the back teeth of the hire and fire approach we adopted for years. It was the reason for the rot setting in. He has time to turn it around but scrutiny is well up now and a total change of approach is what's required. Supporters investing time and money will not accept negative football.

That said, Southend were one of the best footballing sides I saw us play last season and although they had lost a couple of players, they still had the nucleus of that team. It illustrated just how much more Keven Maher was getting out of his team than we could muster.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Southend were one of the best footballing sides I saw us play last season and although they had lost a couple of players, they still had the nucleus of that team. It illustrated just how much more Keven Maher was getting out of his team than we could muster.

Southend started with six of the team that played us in August last season - and their three subs were also part of the squad from that day.

By way of contrast, we had two of our starting eleven from a year ago with a third coming off the bench….

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Southend started with six of the team that played us in August last season - and their three subs were also part of the squad from that day.

By way of contrast, we had two of our starting eleven from a year ago with a third coming off the bench….

Well if that’s the case, our changes in personnel appear to have had a detrimental effect!!