Unsworth Out

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Well if that’s the case, our changes in personnel appear to have had a detrimental effect!!

Certainly in attitude, there looks a distinct lack of team spirit which I thought the pre season bonding was supposed to instill.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Certainly in attitude, there looks a distinct lack of team spirit which I thought the pre season bonding was supposed to instill.

So the clearly evident team spirit that was built up over the second half of last season has evaporated on the back of one bad result?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Well if that’s the case, our changes in personnel appear to have had a detrimental effect!!

The stats from the game make interesting reading too:

Southend had 12 attempts 11 of which were on target. 
Latics had 4 attempts with 2 of them on target

Southend won the corners tally 7-2

As for discipline.. they had 2 yellows - we had 6 plus 1 red

😮

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

😮

I've a vague idea that many cards means an automatic fine. 

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've a vague idea that many cards means an automatic fine. 

I'm fairly certain it isn't even that many.

IIRC it's 5 yellows. I think the punishments may increase with more cards too.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Are we victims of the new stringent rules ?

Stevenage had 4 booked for kicking the ball away on Saturday !!  🙄 👍

We're certainly not victims; the new guidelines are way overdue. Way beyond time that dissent was properly addressed and two were for that I think.  I suppose we got more yellows for tackles because they always had the ball!

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Are we victims of the new stringent rules ?

Stevenage had 4 booked for kicking the ball away on Saturday !!  🙄 👍

Yes and No. Changing anything you've been doing for a prolonged period will always take time. The changes were likely on the horizon for a while but weren't confirmed until quite late on prior to the season starting.

Other teams have also taken time to adapt as there were a LOT of bookings across the EFL and National League at the weekend.

Sutton's red card and a few of our yellows were not affected by the change of emphasis in the laws though.

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

😮

Always a sign a team is chasing the game and struggling when so many cards are dished out

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

😮

Was it 5 yellows or 6 that we ended up with? I’m splitting hairs I know, either is too many.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Yes and No. Changing anything you've been doing for a prolonged period will always take time. The changes were likely on the horizon for a while but weren't confirmed until quite late on prior to the season starting.

Other teams have also taken time to adapt as there were a LOT of bookings across the EFL and National League at the weekend.

Sutton's red card and a few of our yellows were not affected by the change of emphasis in the laws though.

Two of ours were for dissent but their centre half runs 40 yards  ( not metres !) to remonstrate with the ref and gets nothing ?

I fully agree with the crackdown but think it will recede after a month or so at premiership level.

As for kicking the ball away and taking their shirts off, I'd fine them 2 weeks wages every time. 😀

11 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Who would we replace him with at this stage of the season? (serious question)

I'd second Williamson. I don't think Kevin Maher would be a bad shout either. Gateshead and Southend were two of the most dynamic, proper footballing sides I saw us play last season.

I'd make a play for Wild too. I don't think he's out of our range. Might be a bit leftfield / long shot but I'd keep tabs on Notts County and Luke Williams. A few more defeats and they might get an itchy trigger finger. Could be timely for us. 

• Like 3

I've always liked David Artell, did well at Crewe for the majority of his time there. Bit strange hes not had another job since but he did say he needed a rest having done literally everything at Crewe. Plays decent football and I think he would be a good fit for us.

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’d push the boat out for Pete Wild

I think he'd be tempted. There are definitely a few on here who could confirm or deny that but with some assurances with a long-term project, you'd think our ceiling is higher than Barrow's.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, True Tic said:

Always a sign a team is chasing the game and struggling when so many cards are dished out

not really. lots of the greatest players, indeed whole teams, teams collect(ed) them like gratis points. 

on the issue of cards it was 5 cards for a fine in the EFL, which increases in amounts with the volume.