Unsworth Out

9 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Would be absolutely bonkers to back the manager to the extent they have over the summer and then sack him after one game... 

I agree, but this season is a crucial promotion push where the owner has invested heavily in players. They can’t be waiting too long for the manager to get a tune out of what is now a very decent squad . Lose or draw next week then lose at Chesterfield and there’ll be trouble 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I agree, but this season is a crucial promotion push where the owner has invested heavily in players. They can’t be waiting too long for the manager to get a tune out of what is now a very decent squad . Lose or draw next week then lose at Chesterfield and there’ll be trouble 

I think the window for opportunity for us to have a shot of promotion is also actually quite small.  I don't know how much Frank has to pump in to the club, but I can't see him willing to fund wages for the likes of Norwood forever.  

I think we have to act fast.  Otherwise our route out of this league will need a complete re-think and we could end up being down here as long as Notts County, Wrexham Stockport, etc.

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think the window for opportunity for us to have a shot of promotion is also actually quite small.  I don't know how much Frank has to pump in to the club, but I can't see him willing to fund wages for the likes of Norwood forever.  

I think we have to act fast.  Otherwise our route out of this league will need a complete re-think and we could end up being down here as long as Notts County, Wrexham Stockport, etc.

He needs to be looking to offload the club now then on that basis...

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

We're all in as goes the investment side and we don't want Frank to have to be questioning the wisdom of his outstanding generosity,

If not this season when? He can't be expected to leave the cheque book open indefinitely.

So 6 points it is from our next two games or else.

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No he doesn't.

He'd just be insane to chuck good money after bad.

Nothing to suggest that is happening.

Significant ongoing investment will be needed to return the club to the Football League and keeping it there, I'm sure they know that.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Nothing to suggest that is happening.

Significant ongoing investment will be needed to return the club to the Football League and keeping it there, I'm sure they know that.

Significant, but not insane amounts.

I would suggest Norwood will be in the "insane" category.  He won't be spending that much routinely, I wouldn't have thought and neither should he need to.

We'll out-spend most of the competitive clubs in this league just by spending significant amounts.

I’m in the get rid camp this morning. Furious with that result and performance. Unacceptable.

His job depends on the next match.  If he can’t get a significant and obvious reaction from the players in the first home game of a season filled with optimism then it’s just a matter of time. 

His reputation with the fans depends entirely on a bit of humility and the ability to admit he may be wrong in his tactics… particularly given his available players. 

• Like 2

I think I and most fans were for giving him time last season and hoped he'd succeed. However, as we neared Christmas, I was in the Unsworth OUT camp. Then we improved results no end even though the football was still shit. I think that kind of won him a reprieve, certainly in my eyes. But yesterday just proved that he can't or won't learn. I feel sorry for Frank. He's worked wonders for our club and yet he's being badly let down by a donkey. All Franks investment is being wasted. Well not all but it's not going to get us where we want to be.

12 minutes ago, redlion said:

I think I and most fans were for giving him time last season and hoped he'd succeed. However, as we neared Christmas, I was in the Unsworth OUT camp. Then we improved results no end even though the football was still shit. I think that kind of won him a reprieve, certainly in my eyes. But yesterday just proved that he can't or won't learn. I feel sorry for Frank. He's worked wonders for our club and yet he's being badly let down by a donkey. All Franks investment is being wasted. Well not all but it's not going to get us where we want to be.

Not being wasted if these players are as good as everybody keeps claiming they are...

I actually feel even more disillusioned this morning having spent all of yesterday trecking to Southend for that shameful effort.

Sadly I don’t think Darren Royle will do what is needed and I think we are in for another painful and wasted season with Unsworth and Ebrell in charge

The next game I can realistically get to is Boreham Wood away…..am I going to spend another £100 that I can’t really afford to witness central defenders trying to play wing back and midfielders who can’t pass or tackle and a negative 3-5-2 formation?

For the first time in 5 decades supporting my beloved Latics I think I will give it a miss

Thanks Rhino 😔

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not being wasted if these players are as good as everybody keeps claiming they are...

Rob stop trolling for bites and add something to the debate, it's a forum where views are exchanged, simple I know but it appears you're struggling to grasp the concept.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Rob stop trolling for bites and add something to the debate, it's a forum where views are exchanged, simple I know but it appears you're struggling to grasp the concept.

Everything is the managers fault so as soon as he is removed results will pick up, hence the owners money will bear fruit eventually and isn’t being wasted.

A post mortem involving the management team, captain and CEO is surely inevitable after yesterday’s shit-show?

Maybe we’ll get a decent right back / right wing back off the back of it, or am I just desperately looking for a positive?

I wouldn’t claim to be a knowledgeable fan but the worry I have about yesterday’s set up was how, defensively, it was so different to the stuff we’d worked on in pre-season, with forgotten man Sutton parachuted into the unenviable role of looking after one of their better players in a position that doesn’t suit his talents. Surely continuing with Hobson on the right of a flat back four, with a hard-working Ward ahead of him would have been a better, if not ideal solution?

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

I actually feel even more disillusioned this morning having spent all of yesterday trecking to Southend for that shameful effort.

Sadly I don’t think Darren Royle will do what is needed and I think we are in for another painful and wasted season with Unsworth and Ebrell in charge

The next game I can realistically get to is Boreham Wood away…..am I going to spend another £100 that I can’t really afford to witness central defenders trying to play wing back and midfielders who can’t pass or tackle and a negative 3-5-2 formation?

For the first time in 5 decades supporting my beloved Latics I think I will give it a miss

Thanks Rhino 😔

Come Boreham Wood you'll change your mind.....we always do, coz we are blue🙂

I don’t see Unsworth going anywhere soon, and in reality, as disgusting as yesterday’s performance was, nor should he. 
He and the players will have to prove though that yesterday was one of those freak results that can happen. We need to win the next two home games with convincing, front foot performances and plenty of goals. Scrappy 1 or 2 nil wins will only paper over the cracks and convince no one.

if, once the table settles down after 10 or 12 games we’re in the bottom half of the table looking like that’s where we belong then Frank and co will have a decision to make, but I think he’ll get plenty of time to get it right.

Whether he is capable of doing it I’m far from convinced, but unless the start is really disastrous and we’re getting dicked every week, I don’t see any change happening.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I don’t see Unsworth going anywhere soon, and in reality, as disgusting as yesterday’s performance was, nor should he. 
He and the players will have to prove though that yesterday was one of those freak results that can happen. We need to win the next two home games with convincing, front foot performances and plenty of goals. Scrappy 1 or 2 nil wins will only paper over the cracks and convince no one.

if, once the table settles down after 10 or 12 games we’re in the bottom half of the table looking like that’s where we belong then Frank and co will have a decision to make, but I think he’ll get plenty of time to get it right.

Whether he is capable of doing it I’m far from convinced, but unless the start is really disastrous and we’re getting dicked every week, I don’t see any change happening.

I’ve never been convinced about him, but I actually do want him to succeed . It’s very early obviously and I’m sure many would be laughing at our outrage. But it’s not just Southend away. It’s the way we are and have been set up for nearly a year now. The football is dire to watch and that often isn’t compensated by a result either. I think he will be under pressure much sooner this season if things aren’t going ok . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Small point, but pleading to Frank (or any of the Rothwell's) to pull the plug is a bit pointless.

Didn't they say they left all of the playing side of stuff to Darren and don't get involved?

They did, however Frank hasn’t become a millionaire businessman watching large investments flounder/perform poorly. I’m virtually certain if results don’t pick up immediately he will act. He won’t just sit back if we’re bottom half (or worse) in November. 

We have paid 6 figures for 2 strikers while also buying Lundstrum. Our wage bill will be the highest in the league or just below Chesterfield. I’d be very surprised if Norwood isn’t the highest paid player in the division even more than Grigg.

He’ll be backed again by getting a Right Back in this week and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us try and bring in another Midfielder, especially with Ward now seemingly out for a few weeks. 

I actually think if we’re not firmly cemented in the Play off places 7 or so games in he’ll be gone. The board can’t risk this season going to shit after the investment/backing he’s had. 

Promotion is the aim without a doubt. Next year EFL Payments increase don’t they? Plus our parachute payments stop? We have to be in the mix for it this season and if Unsworths not up to it I’m sure Frank will act quickly. 

• Like 1

I really can't believe that some supporters are calling for the manager to be sacked after one game. After one game! You need to give your heads a serious wobble. Moreover, given the investment over the summer Frank and the board would be mad to make such an asinine decision right now.

Some people seem to have forgotten that if you look at last season's form guide from the start of January to the end of the season, then Latics were the 3rd best side in the league.

www.whoscored.com/National-League-2022-2023

If we're in the bottom half of the table at the end of September - then that's a different matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaticMark said:

I really can't believe that some supporters are calling for the manager to be sacked after one game. After one game! You need to give your heads a serious wobble. Moreover, given the investment over the summer Frank and the board would be mad to make such an asinine decision right now.

Some people seem to have forgotten that if you look at last season's form guide from the start of January to the end of the season, then Latics were the 3rd best side in the league.

If we're in the bottom half of the table at the end of September - then that's a different matter.

It really doesn't matter what any table looks like from last season, no doubt Southend finished below us on any of those form tables so on that basis given we've made half a dozen signings including their best defender we should at least have been competitive yesterday, we don't start this season on plus ten because we were top from Christmas. Warning signs were there pre season, yesterday was a car crash so I'd suggest it's Unsworth and Co who need to give their heads a wobble not the 700 diehards who witnessed that abomination yesterday.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

One game turns into two and so it continues,

We don't have the time or funding to mess up this season, he was given a free hit last season but there's no way that should be happening again this.

If it isn't working you change it fast or we'll be left floundering at the wrong end once again.