Aldershot Game - Line Up

Assuming no new right back is signed, and Ward is fit I'd go the following:

4-4-2

Norman

Hobson   Raglan  Hogan  Kitching

Green   Sheron  Ward  Dickenson

Willoughby  Norwood

Subs: Shelton, Tollitt, Gardner, Fondop, Nuttall

NB: Ward woud have a strict remit to get into forward positions and press with energy. Sheron would be informed that for every time he's caught just 5 yards from our defence he'll have a finger chopped off. 

10 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Assuming no new right back is signed, and Ward is fit I'd go the following:

4-4-2

Norman

Hobson   Raglan  Hogan  Kitching

Green   Sheron  Ward  Dickenson

Willoughby  Norwood

Subs: Shelton, Tollitt, Gardner, Fondop, Nuttall

NB: Ward woud have a strict remit to get into forward positions and press with energy. Sheron would be informed that for every time he's caught just 5 yards from our defence he'll have a finger chopped off. 

I don't think Ward will be available on Saturday, looked like a calf strain so he might be out for a few weeks. 

I get the feeling Norwood will work best with a big centre forward but that's only based on Saturday. I don't really know what the partnership up top would be but based on experience I doubt Unsworth will drop Nuttall and Norwood is a nailed on starter.

21 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I don't think Ward will be available on Saturday, looked like a calf strain so he might be out for a few weeks. 

I get the feeling Norwood will work best with a big centre forward but that's only based on Saturday. I don't really know what the partnership up top would be but based on experience I doubt Unsworth will drop Nuttall and Norwood is a nailed on starter.

His blind faith in the likes of Nuttall could well lose him his job, he's had enough opportunities and let him down often.

Let's see what Willoughby can do.

From what I saw of Norwood's frustrated body language we could soon have a DU/m Rooney situation, and that's not good. 

If you look at Norwood's videos you will see the vast amount of his goals were  scored within the penalty area, yet I can't recollect him being there once at Southend.

Edited by BP1960

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

His blind faith in the likes of Nuttall could well lose him his job, he's had enough opportunities and let him down often.

Let's see what Willoughby can do.

From what I saw of Norwood's frustrated body language we could soon have a DU/m Rooney situation, and that's not good. 

Norwood did look frustrated on Saturday, might have been wondering what he's let himself in for? He may need to temper his expectations of NL players after playing in a successful L1 team.

I don't think having five strikers does us any favours, too much choice, particularly as they all seem quite different players. Unsworth needs to decide on his most effective partnership quickly and then give it a chance to develop. If I was a betting man, I would stick my money on Nuttall and Norwood starting on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Norwood did look frustrated on Saturday, might have been wondering what he's let himself in for? He may need to temper his expectations of NL players after playing in a successful L1 team.

Idon't think having five strikers does us any favours, too much choice, particularly as they all seem quite different players. Unsworth needs to decide on his most effective partnership quickly and then give it a chance to develop. If I was a betting man, I would stick my money on Nuttall and Norwood starting on Saturday.

Whereas I think 5 strikers is probably about right, if not the bare minimum.

We have 5 central midfielders, 2 are out for a while - Lundstram and Ward, 1 is (perpetually) coming back from injury - Gardner, so that leaves 2 plus Dickenson who can presumably play there.

I think Unsworth likes to have 2 forwards on the bench. So we need 4, then it is quite likely 1 will be suspended or injured, so there's your 5. Plus Hope, who can play there.

Football is a squad game and our squad is one of the reasons why I'm still a bit zen regarding our prospects this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Don't think we will see Ward, Lundstram or Green for six weeks with hamstring injuries. Maybe eight weeks as hammies are notoriously tricky if you want to avoid recurrence.

So they could miss 8, 9, 10 games - a significant chunk of the season.

22 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Don't think we will see Ward, Lundstram or Green for six weeks with hamstring injuries. Maybe eight weeks as hammies are notoriously tricky if you want to avoid recurrence.

So they could miss 8, 9, 10 games - a significant chunk of the season.

Correction. Think Lundstram was a knee problem so be back sooner. Even so, that is 3 creative players sidelined for many weeks, plus Sutton for 3 games. 

Fear that DU will be inclined to stick with an ultra cautious approach.

32 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

We have 5 central midfielders, 2 are out for a while - Lundstram and Ward, 1 is (perpetually) coming back from injury - Gardner, so that leaves 2 plus Dickenson who can presumably play there.

I think Unsworth likes to have 2 forwards on the bench. So we need 4, then it is quite likely 1 will be suspended or injured, so there's your 5. Plus Hope, who can play there.

Football is a squad game and our squad is one of the reasons why I'm still a bit zen regarding our prospects this season.

You may well be right in respect of the numbers. I think our problem is that all five are different types of forward and the manager doesn't necessarily know the right combination.

Losing Ward and Green for that length of time is a blow, Sutton suspended too.

The injuries in midfield are going to pivotal over the next month or so. With the lack of creativity it’s going to as industrial as last season, so hopefully our forwards can feed off what ever service they do get.

I think Lundstram was/is going to be crucial for us, so losing him so early is gutting. Hopefully he’ll be back in soon and we won’t drop too many points.

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Norwood is the big man, him and Nuttall starting together was part of the problem for me as they offer too similar a style, Norwood is just better at it. Norwood would fare best with Reid, Willoughby or both in my opinion, someone whose got the legs and can turn a defence.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

With only five subs keeping five strikers happy will be nigh on impossible, especially as Norwood will be an auto pick for the foreseeable.

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood is the big man, him and Nuttall starting together was part of the problem for me as they offer too similar a style, Norwood is just better at it. Norwood would fare best with Reid, Willoughby or both in my opinion, someone whose got the legs and can turn a defence.

I'd be very happy with Reid and Norwood. With Green out injured we desperately need some pace in the team.

The Willoughby situation is just fucking weird to me, same with Reid to an extent, you can tell Unsworth doesn't fancy Fondop or Reid long term with his reluctance to give them a run despite linking up well pre season and then going out for a sixth striker. 

He needs to hope that all these players he's dropped on their heads are ready to dig him out of the shit come Saturday because he needs to call on them now. His blind faith in Nuttall will probably lead to him getting the sack eventually if he insists on flogging a dead horse.

• Thanks 1