BPAS PODCAST: 21st Aug ‘23, S4E5: R.E.S.P.E.C.T

13 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

This is the wrong place to be pointing out people are entrenched in their views. That's 90%* of people on here

*some stats are guesstimates

It's actually something like 70%.... but I bet you won't change your mind!

• Like 3

Bit odd that section at the start. You can’t argue with stupid. It’s probably better to simply ignore the amoebas constantly spitting vitriol (regarding Unsworth), particularly when it is in Franks direction. It’s certainly not worth going on a slightly hysterical rant about them… they’ll probably be loving that. They are a tiny minority. The comments about getting therapy and “you’re allowed an opinion but shut the fuck up” are a bit silly to be honest. As is saying they shouldn’t vocalise opinions on football tactics as they clearly know less than Unsworth about football…we all do that including you guys… isn’t that’s what your podcast is about? You spent the rest of the podcast doing exactly that. 

Pointless amplifying the voice of a handful of trolls on social media by interacting with them. Ignore or block, I thought that was obvious and well known. 

As for Unsworth… I agree, we should properly judge him when the full squad is assembled and all are available. Let’s hope that is soon because at the moment he and the team are struggling. 

PS. Gardner isn’t the answer to everything. I predict when the full squad is available he’ll continue to warm the bench/sexy new recaro.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

As for Unsworth… I agree, we should properly judge him when the full squad is assembled and all are available. Let’s hope that is soon because at the moment he and the team are struggling. 

That’s it for me. The club has strengthened the midfield in the off-season (the position most in need of it) and we’ve started the season with three starters out for three, possibly four or five games.

As for Gardner, yeah I’d imagine he’ll be back-up once we’re back to full strength, albeit more creative on his day that Sheron and Shelton.

56 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Bit odd that section at the start. You can’t argue with stupid. It’s probably better to simply ignore the amoebas constantly spitting vitriol (regarding Unsworth), particularly when it is in Franks direction. It’s certainly not worth going on a slightly hysterical rant about them… they’ll probably be loving that. They are a tiny minority. The comments about getting therapy and “you’re allowed an opinion but shut the fuck up” are a bit silly to be honest. As is saying they shouldn’t vocalise opinions on football tactics as they clearly know less than Unsworth about football…we all do that including you guys… isn’t that’s what your podcast is about? You spent the rest of the podcast doing exactly that. 

Pointless amplifying the voice of a handful of trolls on social media by interacting with them. Ignore or block, I thought that was obvious and well known. 

PS. Gardner isn’t the answer to everything. I predict when the full squad is available he’ll continue to warm the bench/sexy new recaro.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but the bit in bold I'm not sure applies any more. It makes no sense to me to be chanting "David Unsworth your football is shite" and booing the team about 35 minutes into the 4th game of the season. Away. At the league leaders. When the game is level and we've not really been under threat. All because some fans aren't happy with the tactic employed.

Those chants and boos were heard loud and clear on the tv. The players will have heard them. That could have a big negative affect on our chances of winning games if it continues. So for me its moved from a vocal minority on social media to a big enough group on the terraces who could be doing damage to our chances of going up. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but the bit in bold I'm not sure applies any more. It makes no sense to me to be chanting "David Unsworth your football is shite" and booing the team about 35 minutes into the 4th game of the season. Away. At the league leaders. When the game is level and we've not really been under threat. All because some fans aren't happy with the tactic employed.

Those chants and boos were heard loud and clear on the tv. The players will have heard them. That could have a big negative affect on our chances of winning games if it continues. So for me its moved from a vocal minority on social media to a big enough group on the terraces who could be doing damage to our chances of going up. 

It's all the fans fault 🤣

I find it all rather ironic really given it will be the same fans on the pitch Saturday that they were looking to stir up and encourage to misbehave through the protests, it was illegal then and it is illegal now and since then it's become the norm, I've never felt the need to enter the field of play - never I've done it once when Redfearn knocked the penalty in when we genuinely had reason to celebrate, you can't preach about RESPECT and then come out with a rant of a statement like that, trying to brush it off because you've been 'ill'. I also don't think it's advisable to be calling out fans whose opinions differ, not unless you think you're now king of the gypsies and fancy a straightener at the back of the RRE every other week.

Ask yourself why people want the manager gone, a manager whose operating in almost perfect circumstances, a dream scenario where it would be difficult to fail, it's undeniable that at least half the fan base dont want him, any poll I've seen is proof of that, he's now had 45 games I think in charge, it's not like he's not had time to build anything but we've arguably gone backwards.

I think Unsworth and his players have had a pretty easy ride personally, it's getting worse because he's had a year to turn it around and it's about time we saw something for the millions of pounds that's been pumped in, if we don't we will just stagnate and the crowds will drop off, my worry would be where are these 3000 pay on the dayers going to be in a months time if we are 15th in the League still and giving Unsworth even more time to rebuild, can we afford to lose them off the gate?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I find it all rather ironic really given it will be the same fans on the pitch Saturday that they were looking to stir up and encourage to misbehave through the protests, it was illegal then and it is illegal now and since then it's become the norm, I've never felt the need to enter the field of play - never I've done it once when Redfearn knocked the penalty in when we genuinely had reason to celebrate, you can't preach about RESPECT and then come out with a rant of a statement like that, trying to brush it off because you've been 'ill'. I also don't think it's advisable to be calling out fans whose opinions differ, not unless you think you're now king of the gypsies and fancy a straightener at the back of the RRE every other week.

Ask yourself why people want the manager gone, a manager whose operating in almost perfect circumstances, a dream scenario where it would be difficult to fail, it's undeniable that at least half the fan base dont want him, any poll I've seen is proof of that, he's now had 45 games I think in charge, it's not like he's not had time to build anything but we've arguably gone backwards.

I think Unsworth and his players have had a pretty easy ride personally, it's getting worse because he's had a year to turn it around and it's about time we saw something for the millions of pounds that's been pumped in, if we don't we will just stagnate and the crowds will drop off, my worry would be where are these 3000 pay on the dayers going to be in a months time if we are 15th in the League still and giving Unsworth even more time to rebuild, can we afford to lose them off the gate?

I'm not sure why you've quoted me here because I can't see which part of all this is relevant to what I was saying.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Blaming the fans, probably should have deleted the rest of what you've written.

"could have a big negative affect on our chances of winning games if it continues"

"could be doing damage to our chances of going up"

Neither of those things say "It's all the fans fault".

I’m staying out of the DU debate recently, but something that seriously grinds my gears is when people say we will play better football when the midfielders return / new midfield signings are made. 

We have been outplayed in terms of ball retention by pretty much every team in the division under DU during his tenure. Do people seriously believe that the Wealdstone, Dorking, Gateshead, Alti and all the other teams midfielders are better than ours ?

Its utter bollocks. Sheron and Shelton have played at a higher level than this, they should be able to control a game of football. It’s the tactics and the way DU sets us up. 

It’s also not Sheron and Shelton combination specifically, we have tried a few different combinations and the outcome is the same. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m staying out of the DU debate recently, but something that seriously grinds my gears is when people say we will play better football when the midfielders return / new midfield signings are made. 

We have been outplayed in terms of ball retention by pretty much every team in the division under DU during his tenure. Do people seriously believe that the Wealdstone, Dorking, Gateshead, Alti and all the other teams midfielders are better than ours ?

Its utter bollocks. Sheron and Shelton have played at a higher level than this, they should be able to control a game of football. It’s the tactics and the way DU sets us up. 

It’s also not Sheron and Shelton combination specifically, we have tried a few different combinations and the outcome is the same. 

It's not really the manager's fault then if two experienced midfielders can't make a ten yard pass to find each other. We can blame Unsworth for the lack of attacking intent his teams show and how they're set up at times but basic football abilities are down to individual players surely. 

34 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

"could have a big negative affect on our chances of winning games if it continues"

"could be doing damage to our chances of going up"

Neither of those things say "It's all the fans fault".

That was the subtext though. The fact of the matter is it's Unsworth who is ticking both those boxes, and he demonstrates it nearly every game.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Well we signed one from Altrincham and Gateshead so presumably the recruitment team think they were equal to if not better than the ones they already had...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Fretting about money again Faz? Maybe just leave that to those actually in control of those matters

49 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

That was the subtext though. The fact of the matter is it's Unsworth who is ticking both those boxes, and he demonstrates it nearly every game.

It wasn't the subtext I don't think. The key being the word "all". I didn't say it was all the fans fault but I did say that booing the team 30 minutes into a game we're not losing could have a negative impact. I stand by that. And I don't think it's necessary or warranted whatever opinions are on the tactics.

As fans there are things we can control and things we can't. So if the blame lies mostly with Unsworth and the coaches and the team is impacted negatively because of that, don't add to it in the middle of a game. Not this early in the season. Not under the circumstances of what was happening at Chesterfield.  Boo at the end. Lose your shit on social media. Vote with your feet and stop going. All that is fine for me, but doing it during the match is potentially causing damage that as fans we don't need to. Especially if your view is that Unsworth is causing enough damage as it is!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Fretting about money again Faz? Maybe just leave that to those actually in control of those matters

I don't give a fuck Rob, I'm not making up the shortfall but there's no doubt about we will be being bankrolled with the expectation that X amount of fans are coming through the door, I don't think our wage bill is sustainable on crowds of 4500 mainly ST holders, I've heard already that Frank is reluctant to finance any more signings and who could blame him.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's not really the manager's fault then if two experienced midfielders can't make a ten yard pass to find each other. We can blame Unsworth for the lack of attacking intent his teams show and how they're set up at times but basic football abilities are down to individual players surely. 

But when they receive the ball, they do need options and that is created by the movement of the players. DU is very rigid and I suspect that he is responsible for the lack of control we have in games, not the players. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It wasn't the subtext I don't think. The key being the word "all". I didn't say it was all the fans fault but I did say that booing the team 30 minutes into a game we're not losing could have a negative impact. I stand by that. And I don't think it's necessary or warranted whatever opinions are on the tactics.

As fans there are things we can control and things we can't. So if the blame lies mostly with Unsworth and the coaches and the team is impacted negatively because of that, don't add to it in the middle of a game. Not this early in the season. Not under the circumstances of what was happening at Chesterfield.  Boo at the end. Lose your shit on social media. Vote with your feet and stop going. All that is fine for me, but doing it during the match is potentially causing damage that as fans we don't need to. Especially if your view is that Unsworth is causing enough damage as it is!

Happy clap, or stay away. Got it.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well we signed one from Altrincham and Gateshead so presumably the recruitment team think they were equal to if not better than the ones they already had...

Yeah we kept the ball well for the 30mins that Ward was on the pitch at Southend…..

or is Lundstram going to solve all the issues ?

I bet it will be the same setup when those two are in the team. 

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't give a fuck Rob, I'm not making up the shortfall but there's no doubt about we will be being bankrolled with the expectation that X amount of fans are coming through the door, I don't think our wage bill is sustainable on crowds of 4500 mainly ST holders, I've heard already that Frank is reluctant to finance any more signings and who could blame him.

Those doing the bankrolling would have every right to be disappointed if fans were giving up on a season a month into it...

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yeah we kept the ball well for the 30mins that Ward was on the pitch at Southend…..

or is Lundstram going to solve all the issues ?

I bet it will be the same setup when those two are in the team. 

I'd like to see a bit more than 30 minutes from a player before declaring what they can and can't do.

We've seen a seasons worth of Sheron to know he shouldn't be playing in midfield/at all, Shelton surely has to be better than what we've seen IMO.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Those doing the bankrolling would have every right to be disappointed if fans were giving up on a season a month into it...

Why? If you go out and aren't happy with what you pay for invariably you'll vote with your pocket, football the world over is no different.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Why? If you go out and aren't happy with what you pay for invariably you'll vote with your pocket, football the world over is no different.

I know you and your lot think the world is caving in after four games but thankfully there's far more with a sense of perspective and patience aware that there is still well over 100 points still to play for...

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

We have been outplayed in terms of ball retention by pretty much every team in the division under DU during his tenure. 

… It’s the tactics and the way DU sets us up. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's not really the manager's fault then if two experienced midfielders can't make a ten yard pass to find each other. 

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

DU is very rigid and I suspect that he is responsible for the lack of control we have in games, not the players.

And there you have the two sides of an argument…

The reason that our midfield and defence give the ball away so often is down to Unsworth’s tactics…

versus

we give the ball away so often because our current midfielders are incapable of playing a ten yard pass…

I tend to side with @Bobledgersheart on this - it’s not down to a managers tactics that an experienced footballer cannot do the basics surely?

John ‘Lord’ Sheridan had a mantra when in possession: ‘look after the ball’.

Some of our players seem incapable of doing so…