MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 28/08/23

22 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Fondop now has 3 red cards in 18 games. It's unacceptable, and he will surely be bottom of the pecking order now, if not shipped out. 

Yesterday was my first game of the season. The football is so difficult to watch, especially in midfield. Shelton and Sheron are so poor on the ball, and Gardner was only fractionally better, although at least he looks forward. 

The real low point of yesterday was the period of 15 minutes after their first, where we completely sat off them, no pressing, no effort at winning the ball back, which (rightly or wrongly) turned the crowd, and sucked any prospect of getting back into the game away. 

I also thought the shape was very odd after half time. Green and Dickenson were sensible subs, but giving Green a free role up front with Reid put us in a strange shape, when four across the midfield would have given us a better structure. 

When we went 1 down it was almost as if his mindset was to keep it tight and not get battered, like you say we sat in and had even less attacking options, Norwood was the right player to bring on but it should of been for Raglan who again was poor yesterday, he changed it like for like (not for the first time) instead of rolling the dice and having a go, Reid as shit as he was yesterday was still full of running and would have offered a decent threat along with Norwood and the pace of Green.

Latest poll on Twitter shows 93% of fans want him gone from 360 who've voted, if they persist with him it could almost be described as negligent, financially keeping him in charge now will have huge implications given the crowd is likely to be less than 6000 when we welcome Dorking for our next home game, It's almost unbelievable witnessing the disenchantment towards the manager given all the positives off the pitch and around the club, it is very difficult to see a way back now and his sacking almost feels inevitable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I can see where you're coming from. How frustrating that this should even be a discussion, you have a player so volatile that you potentially either have to waste a sub early on or risk a red card because they can't control themselves. Would happily never see him play for us again, not like we're struggling for strikers anymore. 

Ironically, had the much maligned Nuttall started instead of Fondop we might have won that game.

A big might that is though.

Not on Twitter but that is an interesting post saying 93% want DU out. Not surprising with the eternal defensive approach. I have been going to BP for 32 years and am delighted with what Frank has done for the club. However, DU has been a poor appointment as most seem to agree with.

Fondop will certainly be last in the pecking order now as a striker and will be lucky to be on the bench in the future. Like him for his physicality and commitment but yesterday he let us all down. 

Difficult to know if he should have been subbed or not straight after his yellow in first minute-not an easy one for the management team. 

• Like 1

I also thought we should’ve kept Reid on and brought Norwood on for maybe Gardner. In those situations, chasing the game with 10 men you need some legs and players who can put pressure on the opposition.

Unsworth said on Saturday that he’s never been able to get 95 minutes out of Dan Gardner because of his fitness issues. It was about managing his minutes and building him up with 30 min appearances etc.

Then two days later he plays him for 95 minutes when we only have 10 men !  That to me made no sense. Yes he’s technically better than Sheron & Shelton, but in the situation we were in yesterday Gardner should have come off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Difficult to know if he should have been subbed or not straight after his yellow in first minute-not an easy one for the management team. 

I can totally understand why he didn't sub him straight away. The abuse and hackneyed ridicule he'd have received with a substitution that early would've been off the scale. You can argue the rights and wrongs of leaving him on with the benefit of hindsight. The booking, so early in the match was such a defining moment.

• Like 1

Fondop should have gone 10 minutes earlier when he looked like he swiped out at one of theirs under the Main Stand, I get he couldn't pull him in minute one but after that even I had a look on my phone to see what odds a red card in the game was, at that stage we had both Fondop and Gardner on yellows and it was almost inevitable the way they both play, to be fair to Gardner he pulled out of a couple that tired legs could have got him in to trouble with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Every single Oldham booking was justified...

I don't agree. Some (Fondops first) were the letter of the law, but Gardner's wasn't (it was his first challenge, and simply mistimed). Reid's definitely wasn't. A foul probably, no way was it a booking. The fact that they had no bookings tells the story. They sussed the ref for minute one and played him like a fiddle. Smart football.

And if you can tell me what exactly James Norwood said off the pitch then we might examine that one too.

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

When we went 1 down it was almost as if his mindset was to keep it tight and not get battered, like you say we sat in and had even less attacking options, Norwood was the right player to bring on but it should of been for Raglan who again was poor yesterday, he changed it like for like (not for the first time) instead of rolling the dice and having a go, Reid as shit as he was yesterday was still full of running and would have offered a decent threat along with Norwood and the pace of Green.

Latest poll on Twitter shows 93% of fans want him gone from 360 who've voted, if they persist with him it could almost be described as negligent, financially keeping him in charge now will have huge implications given the crowd is likely to be less than 6000 when we welcome Dorking for our next home game, It's almost unbelievable witnessing the disenchantment towards the manager given all the positives off the pitch and around the club, it is very difficult to see a way back now and his sacking almost feels inevitable. 

There is no denying there is growing feeling that the fanbase want him gone. Twitter isn't the place to quantify it. 

Edited by Magic Mikey
Correcting autocorrect

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't agree. Some (Fondops first) were the letter of the law, but Gardner's wasn't (it was his first challenge, and simply mistimed). Reid's definitely wasn't. A foul probably, no way was it a booking. The fact that they had no bookings tells the story. They sussed the ref for minute one and played him like a fiddle. Smart football.

And if you can tell me what exactly James Norwood said off the pitch then we might examine that one too.

Probably gave an honest appraisal and called the ref a cunt that he is.

5 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

That Gardner foul was as nailed on a yellow as you’re ever likely to see….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

we seem to be gettin tret (lno thats not a real word) in a strange manner by the refs within games nevermind from game to game. 

yesterdays ref was a bit traffic wardeny towards us all match then he doesnt award that penalty.

chesterfld ref seemed to love giving fouls against us to piss us off then totally bottled disallowing our goal and called the game of early to give us the point he seemed so eager to deny us!!

it can only be down to standards, l hope.

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

4 mins 30 tell me you don't think that's a booking...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KdAFuY-yW0o&si=cJQqSqDZx6O6v9vm

17 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Reid missed an open goal and Shelton’s miss was almost as bad. Both of those happened before the sending off. He’s not wrong in saying that at all. 

What about there chances including the penalty shout?

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

4 mins 30 tell me you don't think that's a booking...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KdAFuY-yW0o&si=cJQqSqDZx6O6v9vm

Looked more like one on that yeah. Looked more like a slightly mistimed tackle on the live stream tbf.

So two out of the seven cards were justified. We'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shaw_blue said:

What about there chances including the penalty shout?

They had some half chances, but so did we in addition to the 2 I'm talking about. I don't remember the penalty shout unless it's that one where Beck was grappling with Kitching then threw himself to the floor.

We had 2 absolute sitters that should have been scored 99 times out of 100.

All the cards were correct I thought, except Reid's. But when you look at Oluwabori for Halifax who committed 2 clear yellow card fouls without getting booked in the second half (having been booked in the first) you can understand being pissed off about the lack of consistency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Looked more like one on that yeah. Looked more like a slightly mistimed tackle on the live stream tbf.

So two out of the seven cards were justified. We'll leave it at that.

Sheron and Dickenson hacked down Solihull players when they'd got away from them. Gardner was a booking as you can see above. Fondop's two bookings were correct. Reid maybe harsh but he jumped into the defender after he'd already headed it...