MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 28/08/23

14 hours ago, Steve_R said:

That’s pretty much as I see it. The next five home games are Dorking, York, Oxford City , Maidenhead and Dagenham. We should be winning all those, especially as we’ve lost two at home already, or picking up a decent points haul at least.

Gateshead on Saturday could be tricky, as they had our number last season and are a better footballing side than we are(alarming really given our resources compared to theirs).

After that we have Bromley, Kidderminster and Wealdstone so there’s points to be had there.

Any manager should be able to pull us away from where we are, and once we move up the table the ‘x amount of points of the playoffs’ lads will be out so he’ll be safe for a while.

We need to be going for the very top in my opinion, but if he can weather this storm and have us hanging around seventh place I don’t see him going anywhere.

I think despite the current anti Unsworth tidal wave, we all want the team to succeed and get us out of this league. 

I really hope we can pick up 4/5 wins in September and move into the top 7 as our run of games is as easy as its going to get.

Even if we do this, it wont change my mind on the manager being the wrong guy to take us to where we need to be as ive seen and heard enough over the past 12 months to make up my mind, but it will at least bring some much needed positivity and belief to the fan base.

I've been quite vocal on giving him until the end of September (13 games) to show that he can get us to challenge at the top of the table, and if he can then we know it will stay as it is on the manager front.

Kidderminster and Weadstone away at the end of September will be pivotal, as not winning at places like this will leave him with no more excuses, if we have any hope of going up.

I just hope that if things don't go as well as exected in September the board smell the coffee and don't bottle it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I think despite the current anti Unsworth tidal wave, we all want the team to succeed and get us out of this league. 

I really hope we can pick up 4/5 wins in September and move into the top 7 as our run of games is as easy as its going to get.

Even if we do this, it wont change my mind on the manager being the wrong guy to take us to where we need to be as ive seen and heard enough over the past 12 months to make up my mind, but it will at least bring some much needed positivity and belief to the fan base.

I've been quite vocal on giving him until the end of September (13 games) to show that he can get us to challenge at the top of the table, and if he can then we know it will stay as it is on the manager front.

Kidderminster and Weadstone away at the end of September will be pivotal, as not winning at places like this will leave him with no more excuses, if we have any hope of going up.

I just hope that if things don't go as well as exected in September the board smell the coffee and don't bottle it.

Never been a fan of bottled coffee !  🙂

43 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We don’t win away under Unsy mate. We ain’t winning these winnable away games. 

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Based on this he probably needs five wins and a couple of draws from those seven games which would put us on  22 points from 13 games to be challenging in the top half dozen, sorry but that is never going to happen, this season will just pass us by the longer we persist. We have already played near on a 7th of the season and seen precious little, improvement needs to happen yesterday. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Based on this he probably needs five wins and a couple of draws from those seven games which would put us on  22 points from 13 games to be challenging in the top half dozen, sorry but that is never going to happen, this season will just pass us by the longer we persist. We have already played near on a 7th of the season and seen precious little, improvement needs to happen yesterday. 

The root of Unsworth’s problems is that he suffers from an excess of confidence and a paucity of talent and ability. It’s a dangerous combination and causing our present state of affairs. Beware an over-confident man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Greek said:

The root of Unsworth’s problems is that he suffers from an excess of confidence and a paucity of talent and ability. It’s a dangerous combination and causing our present state of affairs. Beware an over-confident man.

Yep, I think a lot of this is reflected in his tactics. Personally I think he believes he’s good enough to coach 352 433 but the results and performances playing that way suggest he isn’t. When he simplified it into 442 which players understand without much coaching,  guess what- we had our best run. 

I advocate for 442 all the time, not because I like it and think it’s the best formation. But because with a limited coach it’s our best chance to win. 442 this season with better players than last season will get results IMO. But he still seems reluctant to play it consistently. . . because he’s building something where results are secondary.  🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep, I think a lot of this is reflected in his tactics. Personally I think he believes he’s good enough to coach 352 433 but the results and performances playing that way suggest he isn’t. When he simplified it into 442 which players understand without much coaching,  guess what- we had our best run. 

I advocate for 442 all the time, not because I like it and think it’s the best formation. But because with a limited coach it’s our best chance to win. 442 this season with better players than last season will get results IMO. But he still seems reluctant to play it consistently. . . because he’s building something where results are secondary.  🤦🏻‍♂️

Norman

Freeman

Raglan

Hogan

Kitchen 

Green

Gardner

Sheron

Tollitt

Norwood

Nuttall

If you played that team in a 442 you win more games than you lose imo. As you say, you don’t have to be a manger to get some average results with the squad of players we have for this league. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norman - better than Hudson

Sutton - fitter than Freeman

Hobson - better than Hogan

Raglan

Kitching 

Sheron

Green

Gardner

Dickinson 

Norwood

+1 other striker.

We saw Hobson play one game this season at Southend - he was poor.

Hogan comes in for some unfair criticism as captain (echoes of Piergianni anybody?)

Raglan makes the odd mistake as does everyone out on the pitch. But the two old boys at the back are building an understanding and I would not drop either.

I'd take Freeman over Sutton at right back - even if he has to be subbed after 60 minutes. Sutton was struggling late on in the game - needs to get up to match fitness.

There are two players who have yet to convince me - Shelton and Willoughby - bench please.

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Hogan comes in for some unfair criticism as captain (echoes of Piergianni anybody?)

Raglan makes the odd mistake as does everyone out on the pitch. But the two old boys at the back are building an understanding and I would not drop either.

I'd take Freeman over Sutton at right back - even if he has to be subbed after 60 minutes. Sutton was struggling late on in the game - needs to get up to match fitness.

There are two players who have yet to convince me - Shelton and Willoughby - bench please.

If you are going to judge Hobson on the Southend debacle I think that's unfair, he is yet to play in his favoured position other than at Chorley in pre season where I thought he was outstanding, he's a proper defender with pace, can play the ball out better than Hogan and frankly if he isn't being played he shouldn't have been brought in.

Please don't compare Hogan with Piergianni, I know it's claimed he has these captain qualities but the best way I'd describe him is as limited, I'd be handing the captaincy to Norwood whose the only player guaranteed to start if fit to do so. I never knocked Piergianni he was our player of the season by a country mile the season he went.

Raglan still not convinced by him, certainly wasn't man of the match on Monday.

Freeman has struggled more than most and is nowhere near as fit as Sutton, Sutton covered as much ground as anyone on Monday and at times was our biggest threat.

Shelton and Willoughby I agree with, neither deserve to start.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

This is the same Willoughby that Unsworth chased for weeks and probably even paid a fee.

All after saying that the players he was targeting would not simply be squad players but would be

“ better than what we already have” and go straight in!!😆😆

6 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

If you are going to judge Hobson on the Southend debacle I think that's unfair, he is yet to play in his favoured position other than at Chorley in pre season where I thought he was outstanding, he's a proper defender with pace, can play the ball out better than Hogan and frankly if he isn't being played he shouldn't have been brought in.

Please don't compare Hogan with Piergianni, I know it's claimed he has these captain qualities but the best way I'd describe him is as limited, I'd be handing the captaincy to Norwood whose the only player guaranteed to start if fit to do so. I never knocked Piergianni he was our player of the season by a country mile the season he went.

Raglan still not convinced by him, certainly wasn't man of the match on Monday.

Freeman has struggled more than most and is nowhere near as fit as Sutton, Sutton covered as much ground as anyone on Monday and at times was our biggest threat.

4 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

This is the same Willoughby that Unsworth chased for weeks and probably even paid a fee.

All after saying that the players he was targeting would not simply be squad players but would be

“ better than what we already have” and go straight in!!😆😆

The same Willoughby people were saying DU should be sacked for not starting. Now he's not good enough. Maybe DU knows more than the people on here. Shock

9 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

The same Willoughby people were saying DU should be sacked for not starting. Now he's not good enough. Maybe DU knows more than the people on here. Shock

Or maybe Unsworth has contributed to Willoughby looking a shell of the player I remember, like many others in the squad actually. 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Stick to the debate instead of coming across as a child.

Let me put this question to you then, which player has he improved on the training pitch?.

Like when you just chuck out apologist you mean, childish behaviour like that?

I don't watch training. Can't say

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Stick to the debate instead of coming across as a child.

Let me put this question to you then, which player has he improved on the training pitch?.

That is a bit rich coming from you. I tried to get a straight answer out of you the other night about midfield players and you did everything but provide an answer. Traffic cone springs to mind.

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Or maybe Unsworth has contributed to Willoughby looking a shell of the player I remember

I bet there isn't a Latics fan on here who can remember him playing against us last year. He even scored.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Like when you just chuck out apologist you mean, childish behaviour like that?

I don't watch training. Can't say

You are an apologist, I could accuse you of having an agenda given you've spent your time over the years attempting to defend a series of losers from Corney to Abdallah and David Dunn to David Unsworth, I have an opinion and can be impartial but I'm seeing nothing at all to suggest Unsworth is the man to take the club forward. Do you remember when you used to defend the rat Corney relentlessly even when he attempted to dig a few of us out who had the temerity to call him out for the cunt that he was.

I am as entitled as the next man to give my opinion, others who are defending Unsworth and trying to preach how we should react to him and be patient are no more entitled than I, there is objection to him - that is undeniable so as we don't live in North Korea I'll continue to post my feelings on a forum and say it as I see it.

• Like 1