MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 28/08/23

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

They didn’t have chances??? 

Yes they had half chances. But so did we. On clear cut sitters we had 2 to their 0 (I think) so based on that saying we should have been 2-0 up I think is fair. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not read any of the comments but just going to put my own thoughts down on what I saw today.

Despite Fondop having 2 brain farts I thought we actually did ok in the first 30 minutes or so and created a couple of chances that both Reid and Shelton should have done better with, then Fondop needlessly makes a stupid challenge on a player who is 60 yards out with everyone behind the ball while already on a yellow card the first yellow which was stupid enough to get in the first place anyway and it changes the game. The referee though I thought had a stinker and was incredibly card happy.

However, teams who go on to win promotion are faced with all kinds of problems and they find ways to win. They will win when they go down to 10 men, they will win when they are a goal behind away from home in the 89th minute like Wrexham did last season. They will be on the end of bad refereeing decisions it will happen you have to get on with it.

I said last week I will back the board over whatever decision they make whether to back or sack the manager. I'm sick to death of sacking manager after manager and seeing no change, but I do understand that sometimes it is the right decision and it should only be done as a last resort. Either way I back this current regime to do the right thing if they need too.

If in a parallel universe where I was the one making the decisions I wouldn't sack the manager based on today. But I would be looking at a contingency right now we may have to make a decision fairly quickly if things carry on as they have done. It's not just a case of sacking the manager and all the problems vanish into thin air. We have to appoint the right replacement if that's the case. The new person also won't fancy several of the current squad and will want a few of their own players, the total costs in pay offs and new recruits will run into the hundreds of thousands. When you calculate the true cost of changing the manager and you are the one picking up the tab, then you realise it's not as simple a decision as most of us think. So if/when we pull the trigger and choose a replacement it has to be the right decision.

That said I wouldn't be giving it much longer as the season will soon be getting away from us. Ive seen 3 of the 6 games( Halifax H Chesterfield A and Solihull H) We've played so far this season and we haven't looked like a promotion chasing team in any of them. From the 3 I haven't seen (Southend A, Aldershot H, and Borehamwood A), it looks like given the results and subsequent reaction We've looked like a promotion chasing team in probably 1 of them. We've so far won 1 from 6 if that gets to 1 win in 10 then I think that's probably the time to get rid.

From the managers point of view I would go back to basics pick my best 11 possible in the formation they feel most comfortable in and stick with it for the next few games until we start seeing an improvement.

From the players point of view they need to take some responsibility too. They shouldn't be using the manager as an excuse for the form, they need to look at themselves and see how they can play better. If they are honest with themselves they could probably all do something better.

I won't be joining calls to sack the manager or singing that his football is sh!t I won't be booing or abusing the players. They will know full well that what we've seen so far this season hasn't been good enough, without us yelling at them from the stands. But nethertheless they need to shut the noise out right now and get some results because if they do the noise currently being made will go away and things will get better. Because Man for man this squad should be a match for anybody in this league on its day.

Excellent post. I agree he should know his best team( we have had injuries though) and play them so they can gel and learn about each other.Its called being a TEAM.

Please play players in their correct positions and stick with them.He needs to believe in himself and the players.Other teams should be worried about us not vice versa.Look what happens to Chesterfield when you have a go at them. I would have taken a 5.4 loss against them but clearly not D.U who thought he could get another smash and grab as we did last year.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Meanwhile at Chesterfield.

'James Berry setting up chance after chance. This lad looks like he could go all the way.

What a player we have here absolutely ghosts past defenders brilliant signing'

Not the type of player for us apparently, but Freeman and Dickenson are.

So good that he's been on the bench the last three games... 

1 minute ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Yes called settling in and getting to know your team mates.Then after that you fly.

Unlike our boys who can't even learn on the job because they're in and out of the team. But then Chesterfield have a real manager unlike us.

3 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

He's only just joined the club, Norwood was on the bench today. 

When you've seen him play please comment, mind you you won't admit to not seeing him will you?

18 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We were down to ten men. Tired from playing other day. Don't think their heads dropped as they carried on grafting

True we were tired but the minute they scored , misunderstandings with our keeper started, the standing off started and the pressing stopped til the crowd calmed down again. 

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yes they had half chances. But so did we. On clear cut sitters we had 2 to their 0 (I think) so based on that saying we should have been 2-0 up I think is fair. 

Well it’s a “FACT” apparently, despite is not scoring any. Ludicrous statement from him. We are a national league side, we don’t bury every opportunity. Clearly. 

25 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

That's the most concerning aspect for me. People criticise DU for his "excuses" but in fairness they're (mostly) legitimate. Had we been coming into this season off the back of a really strong one, there wouldn't be this kind of reaction. But although results improved towards the end of last season, the quality of product didn't follow that trend. There wasn't a particular identity or style begining to appear. In fact DU mentioned time and again that he couldn't play the way he wanted until he had a squad capable. That bought him time, but also put pressure on the beginning of this season. And I think it made his job a lot harder, he's effectively had to try to implement a philosophy or identity from scratch over the summer. There's a reason why we always hear that you have to give a new manager time. It takes time to implement major change. And there's always bumps in the road at the start.

But he's already had that time, so fans rightly will demand results and crucially an improvement in the quality of football. And I just don't see a plan, a philosophy, identity whatever you want to call it. We try to play out from the back one game then go hoof ball all game the next. The best teams have recognisable patterns of play, you see them create and score chances the same way all the time. We don't have that, it's aimless hopeful balls waiting for mistakes from the opposition. When we do create chances it's more often than not just because of the quality we have on the pitch. This is a squad more than capable of achieving a top 3 finish but at the moment it looks like a team that will be fighting at the wrong end of the table.

It's entirely possible that we could turn things around over the next few games, the injured players come back and we begin to see the style of play unsworth wants. But he's got very little room for error now. 1 or 2 wins won't stop those calls for him to go. It needs to be a sustained period of improved performances and results.

Agree on the patterns of play. Nothing at all going forward, nor has there ever been. He’s clearly a defensive manager but his sides are so easy to play against, not solid, rarely press, invite pressure and can’t keep clean sheets. When ur defensive the min should be ur good at shutting sides out and his can’t do that from what we seen whether it’s back 5 or 4. 

25 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

That's the most concerning aspect for me. People criticise DU for his "excuses" but in fairness they're (mostly) legitimate. Had we been coming into this season off the back of a really strong one, there wouldn't be this kind of reaction. But although results improved towards the end of last season, the quality of product didn't follow that trend. There wasn't a particular identity or style begining to appear. In fact DU mentioned time and again that he couldn't play the way he wanted until he had a squad capable. That bought him time, but also put pressure on the beginning of this season. And I think it made his job a lot harder, he's effectively had to try to implement a philosophy or identity from scratch over the summer. There's a reason why we always hear that you have to give a new manager time. It takes time to implement major change. And there's always bumps in the road at the start.

But he's already had that time, so fans rightly will demand results and crucially an improvement in the quality of football. And I just don't see a plan, a philosophy, identity whatever you want to call it. We try to play out from the back one game then go hoof ball all game the next. The best teams have recognisable patterns of play, you see them create and score chances the same way all the time. We don't have that, it's aimless hopeful balls waiting for mistakes from the opposition. When we do create chances it's more often than not just because of the quality we have on the pitch. This is a squad more than capable of achieving a top 3 finish but at the moment it looks like a team that will be fighting at the wrong end of the table.

It's entirely possible that we could turn things around over the next few games, the injured players come back and we begin to see the style of play unsworth wants. But he's got very little room for error now. 1 or 2 wins won't stop those calls for him to go. It needs to be a sustained period of improved performances and results.

Agree on the patterns of play. Nothing at all going forward, nor has there ever been. He’s clearly a defensive manager but his sides are so easy to play against, not solid, rarely press, invite pressure and can’t keep clean sheets. When ur defensive the min should be ur good at shutting sides out and his can’t do that from what we seen whether it’s back 5 or 4. 

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Who said he wasn't the type of player for us. You recommended him. We didn't sign him. Nobody has said he wasn't right for us. Dickenson is a good player, massive injury last season so building fitness, as is Freeman. Give it a rest with the stuff about players you've recommended etc. We all remember Cameron Burgess. He was gash for us

It is a fact. Shelton, Reid x 2 chances, one an open goal, other a poor strike when clean through although on an angle. Willoughby blasted 2 over

Cameron Burgess is playing week in week out for Ipswich at the top of the championship and also keeping George Edmundson out of the starting XI.

We went in for Berry last season and he turned us down because of our style of football and Unsworth’s shite reputation in the game. That’s straight from the current Macclesfield managers mouth by the way.

2 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Cameron Burgess is playing week in week out for Ipswich at the top of the championship and also keeping George Edmundson out of the starting XI.

We went in for Berry last season and he turned us down because of our style of football and Unsworth’s shite reputation in the game. That’s straight from the current Macclesfield managers mouth by the way.

If what you say is true and I believe you ,that's really worrying.

some extensive mental gymnastics going on today.

the take the handbrake off lads are moaning about handbrakes.

the play Fondop lads are moaning about playing Fondop.

the utilise the squad lads are moaning about utilising the squad.

the Reid is the answer lads arent happy about Reid being the answer.

so many people contradicting themselves and their rush to criticise. its actually somehow worse than our away tactics.9

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Frank Rothwell. He has undoubtedly saved the club from oblivion but has then had to rely on other people to formulate the restructuring of the playing side of the club. I wonder if any other candidates were interviewed/considered with National League experience or was Joe Royle’s mate, Unsworth a shoe in for the job.
My group and I are frustrated virtually every game with how we are regularly outplayed by other clubs in midfield. It’s no longer a case of a ‘bad day at the office). 
But, the catalyst of today’s implosion was the childish, moronic brainstorm from Fondop in the 1st minute. This after the ball had been placed for a free kick and the kicker waiting to take it. As we all now know this madness unfazed him. He has been taking good money off the club for too long.

We have clubs in this league surviving on less than 2,000 fan’s outplaying us on a regular basis. I don’t know how much is invested in management and players but it will be up there with the best. I also don’t know how an ex Premier League player and coach of hand picked talented junior players goes about selecting players for this League. It does seem Unsworth is struggling. 

43 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

they didn’t have chances??

20 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Well it’s a “FACT” apparently, despite is not scoring any. Ludicrous statement from him. We are a national league side, we don’t bury every opportunity. Clearly. 

Nobody buries every chance but ours were two of possibly the easiest chances you'd expect to get in a game. They didn't have an open goal and a pretty much open goal from 6 yards out

7 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Amd Cameron Burgess was a loan and shite when he was with us. So it was a poor recommendation because he wasn't good enough at the time. Which a loan needs to be.

We may have gone for Berry last season and he may have turned us down, nobody is saying that didn't happen. What @BP1960 stated was our club or people within it decided he wasn't good enough. Which is horseshit. As proven by your statement we tried signing him

26 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Was looking forward to seeing him last week, but he was dropped as you put it `to allow a star player back in'

Today the star player was subbed for Berry and Chesterfield fans say this star player has no future with them. I stick with my statement of one year ago, Berry is a special talent with the ability to play Championship level.  I tried to get him here what more could I do?

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Today the star player was subbed for Berry and Chesterfield fans say this star player has no future with them. I stick with my statement of one year ago, Berry is a special talent with the ability to play Championship level.  I tried to get him here what more could I do?

YOU tried to get him here? What more could YOU do?

You saw a decent player and you told someone about it. Happens a million times a day all over the world.

That STAR player who unknown Chesterfield fans say has no future with them scored today and people on here went mad we didn't sign him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diggleblue said:

If what you say is true and I believe you ,that's really worrying.

@mcfluff1985 loves to criticise and put people down, when I look at at a player it's about potential to go higher, not just the here and now. He just can't comprehend that.

Edited by BP1960

52 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Excellent post. I agree he should know his best team( we have had injuries though) and play them so they can gel and learn about each other.Its called being a TEAM.

Please play players in their correct positions and stick with them.He needs to believe in himself and the players.Other teams should be worried about us not vice versa.Look what happens to Chesterfield when you have a go at them. I would have taken a 5.4 loss against them but clearly not D.U who thought he could get another smash and grab as we did last year.

you have your 5-4 loss. we will take the real actual point. have a good time see ya later 🙄

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He'd probably be crap under Unsworth anyway, so, save your breath BP.

Just now, Wardie said:

He'd probably be crap under Unsworth anyway, so, save your breath BP.

Well you could be right judging how Harry Vaughen,  Green and Sutton have been messed about and Norwood looks a shadow of the player we were expecting him to be.

Kitching is doing well, maybe because he does his own thing without any need for instructions?

Just now, BP1960 said:

Well you could be right judging how Harry Vaughen,  Green and Sutton have been messed about and Norwood looks a shadow of the player we were expecting him to be.

Kitching is doing well, maybe because he does his own thing without any need for instructions?

How has green been messed about? He's had a hamstring injury.

Sutton has been suspended. 

What are you talking about?

• Like 2

Just now, BP1960 said:

I can just imagine Norwood being lured in with the promise of a club on the up and him spearheading the charge, only to have the wind knocked out of his sails by the great Unsworth's [lack of] style of play. 

Fucking sick to death of false dawns every two minutes over my long years with Latics and I have had enough of them. For all the backing and bullshit hype over the close season, it's an absolute embarrassment looking at the table, with 5pts from 18 and one win in six.

Poor performing managers get sacked.
No reasons why Unsworth should stay, in my opinion.
I'm not looking forward to yet another defeat at Gateshead.

• Like 3