The Next Oldham Manager

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

if it was Mellon, Clarke or Williamson I'd still favour one of those three. If it was Clemence or someone else wanting their first go at it I'd be disappointed. 

Yeah, I'd go with that actually. My "wanting a new person in" is assuming it will be someone of decent pedigree...

Appreciate we have played 3 poor sides, but Thompson has the fans and players backing him. It’s a complete U turn on the feeling that Unsy created. 

With Redfearn as his assistant, I think it could be a good combination for us. 

But part of me also thinks a new man could be good for us. 

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Thompson gets it I can see us having a really good first few months then falling away in the last 10-15 games. 

I'd prefer Mellon or Williamson.

I just don't know. Really could go either way in my book. I think he'd be worth a contract until the end of the season with a longer one if he achieves goals.

Even though we played fairly poorly in parts last night, you can't deny he's getting much more out of the players and his tactical nous is fairly sound given his switches and substitutions during games yielding results. I think he's worth the risk. We're a reliable quality midfielder away from being a beast of a team at this level.

I do love him though. He's a bit like Hastings on Line of Duty. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I just don't know. Really could go either way in my book. I think he'd be worth a contract until the end of the season with a longer one if he achieves goals.

Even though we played fairly poorly in parts last night, you can't deny he's getting much more out of the players and his tactical nous is fairly sound given his switches and substitutions during games yielding results. I think he's worth the risk. We're a reliable quality midfielder away from being a beast of a team at this level.

We've seen this before a new manager/caretaker comes in gets some results we all think he has the answers then a couple of weeks/months later we hit a brick wall. I can see the same happening again.

We've seen this before a new manager/caretaker comes in gets some results we all think he has the answers then a couple of weeks/months later we hit a brick wall. I can see the same happening again.

We have, but it can still be played out for a season to see if that happens. I'd like to think that with a couple of players shifted on and some improvements in midfield we can kick on.

Personally, my hunch is the club will bring a new man in after a thorough process (another 3-4 matches down the line). The job may even be dependant on a new manager accepting ST is retained on the coaching staff. Whatever it is, it's a good scenario for the club in that they can take more time to decide whilst on the pitch stuff isn't creating any more pressure for the board.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It really could go either way. Hopefully whatever call the board make it will prove to be the right one. We're long overdue!

That’s my worry. I hear people saying ‘give it him to the end of the season’ but he may have a longer contract than that in his ‘old’ job. 
I don’t think we should scrap the whole recruitment strategy we’ve set up just because Unsworth at the head of it all proved to be a dud, so Thompson’s job will still need doing, as we should be scouting potential targets all the time.

That said he is growing on me, but if he gets the job and results tail off, the same old ‘why has no one else ever offered him a managerial job’ will be a regular criticism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm presuming he feels they may be swaying towards a new man given him going all in during the post match interview yesterday, if it was Mellon, Clarke or Williamson I'd still favour one of those three. If it was Clemence or someone else wanting their first go at it I'd be disappointed. He's done himself no harm but if he continues to keep selecting Shelton and Nuttall I'd begin to get worried.

I agree with this too.

He's doing himself no harm. On the plus side, giving him at least until the end of the season (with a promise that he returns to his previous role/contract if things don't work out) gives us a degree of continuity, with a man who knows all the players' strengths/weaknesses etc. He's certainly got the fans enthused again too.

The down side, of course, is that things don't work out and we languish down in non-league for longer.

I don't see any need to rush things presently. Interview all candidates, including ST, and let's see how the team/squad develop over the next few games. It's a results business and if he continues with this "winning machine", it's going to be very difficult not to appoint him. Can you imagine the meltdown if say, we win 6 on the bounce, appoint a new face anyway... and he loses the next 2!

28 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

He's doing himself no harm. On the plus side, giving him at least until the end of the season (with a promise that he returns to his previous role/contract if things don't work out) gives us a degree of continuity, with a man who knows all the players' strengths/weaknesses etc. He's certainly got the fans enthused again too.

The down side, of course, is that things don't work out and we languish down in non-league for longer.

I don't see any need to rush things presently. Interview all candidates, including ST, and let's see how the team/squad develop over the next few games. It's a results business and if he continues with this "winning machine", it's going to be very difficult not to appoint him. Can you imagine the meltdown if say, we win 6 on the bounce, appoint a new face anyway... and he loses the next 2!

Conceding yesterday and seeing the reaction from Thompson and change in system to go and win the game has increased my view of Tommo.
If he keeps winning, he’s going to get the job. As you say with your last point, you can’t not. 

• Like 1

If he wins the next three (not too fanciful a target given the opposition) * then the board would find it very difficult not to give it to him.

I would continue the interview process as it will take at least a couple of weeks and by then Thompson will have had a reasonable number of games by which we can assess his fit for the job. 😉

* oh no I’m sounding like @Lee Sinnott😮

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Mother of God, man!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I get the interview process point. But surely demonstrating getting results is better than an interview performance ?

I suppose ST needs to sell his long term vision for the club. But I suspect the directors already know this considering they have employed him already. 

Every match the coaching team on is an interview. 

There are no guarantees, whoever is in charge.

ST has done well improving the confidence and output of the squad. That may fade after the "honeymoon" period.

A new manager may, or may not, bring further improvements. Then again there might be a bounce followed by a slump. We simply don't  know.

Is it becoming a  case of "better the devil you know?"

ST, NR and PM know the club well, have extensive coaching experience between them - at a higher level, too - and seem to have an affinity with supporters.

I'm beginning to lean towards giving them the gig. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I get the interview process point. But surely demonstrating getting results is better than an interview performance ?

I suppose ST needs to sell his long term vision for the club. But I suspect the directors already know this considering they have employed him already. 

There's something in what you say about evidence of winning trumping performance at interview, but is that winning evidence sufficient? I'd argue not. As welcome as it is, and notwithstanding all the positives, the three match winning run has been achieved against three of the weaker teams in the division. Even if we extend to a 6 match winning run, all the victories would be against teams in the bottom half of the division.

For me, Thompson is creating a welcome problem for the Board in that he's emerging as a credible contender for interim manager until the end of the season. At the very least his success means the club does not have to rush the recruitment process. Perversely it may even attract better candidates to the role as Thompson demonstrates we are realistic play off contenders. But he should not be given the job on the evidence so far.

• Like 1

Should we not be viewing this as Thommo and Redfearn coming as a team, a package?

A lot of talk of lack of managerial experience but both have years of experience around first team football, mostly at a far higher level.

The stats from their time together at Leeds are a lot more impressive than at first glance.

They took over a relegation threatened side and weren't far off the playoffs in the end. 

The dynamic/relationship they seem to have says to me it wouldn't really matter which of the two was the "main man".

I'm happy to roll with this unless we can get a Clarke/Mellon....

Maybe roll with it and get a Clarke or Mellon next time....

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm presuming he feels they may be swaying towards a new man given him going all in during the post match interview yesterday, if it was Mellon, Clarke or Williamson I'd still favour one of those three. If it was Clemence or someone else wanting their first go at it I'd be disappointed. He's done himself no harm but if he continues to keep selecting Shelton and Nuttall I'd begin to get worried.

Agree with this.

Pedigree as a preference but if it's anyone that's new to management then Thompson til the end of the season then reassess.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Very impressed with Thompson so far and, now that he's said that he's after the job, it makes a difference to how we proceed.  But I'd still not give him the job permanently until the interview process has been completed.

How the board conduct themselves with this process is more important longer term than who we appoint now.  I would absolutely keep Thompson as Head of Recruitment if he didn't get the manager's job, although if he ends up being the best man for the job then I'd have no problem with that.