The Next Oldham Manager

32 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's being miserable that keeps some folk happy!  😄

I don't think anybody can honestly be as miserable now 12 month's of absolute shite is finally behind us,

Should ST continue as he's started, it would be crazy to change it, leave it as is,

He deserves it.

• Like 4

There is no denying that Steve Thompson has done well results wise in his first four games.

However, there does seem to be a difference in approach and ultimately performance between the home and the away games.

Yes I know that this difference is inevitable in football as home advantage does inspire teams - but ST appears to have continued the setup we had away from home under the previous manager.

Maybe it is a hangover from the past but I would hope that we lose this defensive-minded approach and adopt a more attacking mindset when playing away from home.

We now have, on paper at least, two very winnable home games to come. Should we win both that would make it very difficult for the board NOT to offer the job to Steve Thompson.

However, I would like to see how he does in a few more games, before making any long term commitment to ST as our manager.

Winning games against teams currently in 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 24th place (with 4 of those games at home) plus a draw at the team in 15th place is maybe not the best measure of his ability to be a permanent manager.

Let’s not rush the decision.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

There is no denying that Steve Thompson has done well results wise in his first four games.

However, there does seem to be a difference in approach and ultimately performance between the home and the away games.

Yes I know that this difference is inevitable in football as home advantage does inspire teams - but ST appears to have continued the setup we had away from home under the previous manager.

Maybe it is a hangover from the past but I would hope that we lose this defensive-minded approach and adopt a more attacking mindset when playing away from home.

We now have, on paper at least, two very winnable home games to come. Should we win both that would make it very difficult for the board NOT to offer the job to Steve Thompson.

However, I would like to see how he does in a few more games, before making any long term commitment to ST as our manager.

Winning games against teams currently in 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 24th place (with 4 of those games at home) plus a draw at the team in 15th place is maybe not the best measure of his ability to be a permanent manager.

well said. l don't think this anymore, but it's almost certainly the best way forward. in terms of a proper recruitment process we should still only be making two piles out of all the applications, whilst checkin round the place who had worked with suchabody before.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:07 PM, yarddog73 said:

To be honest if they are going to gove it him it needs to be now and he needs three players in this week, we cannot continue with this midfield for another week, we've been harping on about it for months now and fuck alls been done to sort it, what are we waiting for?.

That's just not the case though. Over the summer we recruited players in midfield and other positions to such an extent that optimism soared and the bookies made us second favourites for promotion. Injuries especially to Lundstram, Ward, Raglan haven't helped. Nobody is saying this squad is the finished article but under ST we have won 10 points from 12. To quote Dr Schulz in Django Unchained: "Everybody calm down...."

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's just not the case though. Over the summer we recruited players in midfield and other positions to such an extent that optimism soared and the bookies made us second favourites for promotion. Injuries especially to Lundstram, Ward, Raglan haven't helped. Nobody is saying this squad is the finished article but under ST we have won 10 points from 12. To quote Dr Schulz in Django Unchained: "Everybody calm down...."

Exactly,

I think we can easily get in the play-off mix and that will be a dead cert once we have a midfield general worth his salt

10 from 12 is dream land, winning at home and we've finally stopped the rot away

This is more like it and everybody should be happy right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Exactly,

I think we can easily get in the play-off mix and that will be a dead cert once we have a midfield general worth his salt

10 from 12 is dream land, winning at home and we've finally stopped the rot away

This is more like it and everybody should be happy right now.

I’ve no doubt we’ll be in the playoffs but I’m far from happy because this team has zero chance of winning them!

12 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Sorry Big Dog! I didnt see your post until after I had posted in the Wealdstone thread and have repeated some of your excellent points!! Great minds and all that !!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve no doubt we’ll be in the playoffs but I’m far from happy because this team has zero chance of winning them!

The more ST keeps winning, the more backing he'll get and I think we'll be set up for a proper go at it

Let's win our two home games and see what the board deem fit

• Like 1

Either way, I’d only give him the role until the end of the season….any half decent manager should be able to get this squad in and around the playoffs so he has the rest of the season to show he has something extra and earn another one, hopefully in League 2 or, if say, we lose in the playoffs, at least without DU wasting the first ten games of the next NL season

If people only want Thompson to get it until the summer doesn't that indicate they aren't sure on him? The board need to back whoever is appointed. This season and next season are a must.

For me Thompson is a gamble. An experience manager is a must as top 3 is a realistic target now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve no doubt we’ll be in the playoffs

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

play offs. minimum.

I bet you were not thinking like that after the Bromley game.

What a difference 2 weeks in football makes.

My own opinion is that I would like to see us in the playoffs, but our ball retention and passing ability has to improve for that to happen.

2 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

I bet you were not thinking like that after the Bromley game.

What a difference 2 weeks in football makes.

My own opinion is that I would like to see us in the playoffs, but our ball retention and passing ability has to improve for that to happen.

my blinders were bad under Rhino, l still had a small bit of hope it would come good. looking back l was being very silly and well done Frank for saving the season. 

lm expecting a CM and a winger in, but also wouldnt mind a narrow midield three of Shelton CDM with Dickenson and Lundstrum in front of him. that way l could play Willoughby Norwood and Reid up top. needs Freeman at RB tho, not Sutton who has done well for me but that's enuf now.

Edited by Monty Burns
of

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

There’s no way on this earth Shelton is a defensive midfielder. Sheron on the other hand…

fuckinell l often say the wrong name but typin it is new. yes as you say it should say Sheron and thank you for bringin that to my attention even tho l won't edit it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shrek said:

If people only want Thompson to get it until the summer doesn't that indicate they aren't sure on him? The board need to back whoever is appointed. This season and next season are a must.

For me Thompson is a gamble. An experience manager is a must as top 3 is a realistic target now.

Still doubting Thompson? Clarke about to lose 2 in a row! Wild losing again. At least we're playing football again and players seem happy.Give Tommo a chance.

Whoever gets it we all know they are going to have to bring in a midfielder or 2. They won't get Sheron and Shelton controlling games knowone will. We won't control games if they are the only fit midfielders.

That's your most pressing issue. Midfield plus a right back then I think we'll have a chance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Whoever gets it we all know they are going to have to bring in a midfielder or 2. They won't get Sheron and Shelton controlling games knowone will. We won't control games if they are the only fit midfielders.

That's your most pressing issue. Midfield plus a right back then I think we'll have a chance.

Thought, Lundstram and Sheron looked alright together. Problem is when Lundstram goes off there's no one to replace him and Shelton is most certainly not the answer.