The Next Oldham Manager

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Just logged in and all I can say is THANK YOU LORD!

my prayers have finally been answered 

Now, with the shackles off, I can't wait to see us get more wins on the board,  with fast, flowing, entertaining football, especially at home :dance:

I think that may not come immediately but, there may be more bums on seats than there would have been and hopefully some good vocal support to spur on a much needed win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparkleking said:

Who is the known outcome?

No, what I mean is.

People place bets on the next manager, but in this instance Frank and Darren will know who it will be before the market closes. It’s always been odd to me that bookies offer a market on what is essentially a decision made by a few people. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Just a side point. 

How can bookies offer a market on new managers when it’s a known outcome to a few people? 

thats the same as almost anything in life and why 'insider trading' convictions are sometimes just a fit up of somebody doing what everybody else is doing!

its also why Cricket keeps uncovering spot fixing and why Matt Le Tissier ever sprinted in his career.

17 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think that may not come immediately but, there may be more bums on seats than there would have been and hopefully some good vocal support to spur on a much needed win.

It'll take around 10 to 15 games and hopefully the new man will get more than 1 win 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

thats the same as almost anything in life and why 'insider trading' convictions are sometimes just a fit up of somebody doing what everybody else is doing!

its also why Cricket keeps uncovering spot fixing and why Matt Le Tissier ever sprinted in his career.

😂👍🏻

Spot fixing is cheating though- making a decision about a manager isn’t.  

You can’t cheat a whole game of football or cricket because 22 players plus the managers have to be in on it.

I don’t think there’s anything like it- it’s just odd. 

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No, what I mean is.

People place bets on the next manager, but in this instance Frank and Darren will know who it will be before the market closes. It’s always been odd to me that bookies offer a market on what is essentially a decision made by a few people. 

They won't allow much more than a tenner

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

My one time assistant was, along with about half a dozen of his mates, the first person to get jailed for insider dealing in the country.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No, what I mean is.

Its a lucrative market for the bookies, for instance the list as it stands is a guessing game so plenty of cash will be put down on what is currently a lottery, then theres the usual rumour mill which sees big money put down on a punt, usually made by my mate spoke to his mate and his mate says so and so's got the job and its a dead cert. By the time the real contenders are in the mix theres a fair kitty to fall back on so then the bookies just shorten the odds and sometimes even limit the amount on individuals bets place to limit their exposure, by which time they have already cleaned up. 

Edited by chickenbaltipie
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been one of the DU out brigade since very, very early in his tenure but tbh I have no idea regarding his replacement…mainly because it is such a results based business and frankly, very few managers are successful at every club they manage so it will be about finding the right “fit” and you really don’t know until you try it.

That said, a bit of experience wouldn’t go amiss….more nouse, less scouse 🤣

1 hour ago, chickenbaltipie said:

Its a lucrative market for the bookies, for instance the list as it stands is a guessing game so plenty of cash will be put down on what is currently a lottery, then theres the usual rumour mill which sees big money put down on a punt, usually made by my mate spoke to his mate and his mate says so and so's got the job and its a dead cert. By the time the real contenders are in the mix theres a fair kitty to fall back on so then the bookies just shorten the odds and sometimes even limit the amount on individuals bets place to limit their exposure, by which time they have already cleaned up. 

Cheers. 👍🏻

Never thought of it that way, I was looking at from the actual decision point of view, but as you say there’s money to be made - particularly in the early stages. 

• Like 1

1. Pete Wild

2. Kevin Maher

3. Mike Williamson 

4. Darrell Clarke

5. The Cowleys’

I’ve not picked these guys in any order of preference, but they have been finalised as my 5 first choices, duly considered with a smile, before, during and after a lovely Sunday roast. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

😂👍🏻

Spot fixing is cheating though- making a decision about a manager isn’t.  

You can’t cheat a whole game of football or cricket because 22 players plus the managers have to be in on it.

I don’t think there’s anything like it- it’s just odd. 

l just view everything as corrupt l think.

weirdly lm constantly being stung for trusting people or being naiive!!

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wild is a complete non-starter. I'm placing complete trust in the board this time to go through a proper recruitment process. 

I wouldn't rule out Thompson or Mark Jackson, ex MK Don's manager...

6 months experience whilst MK went down before they binned him.

Former defender with  the bulk of his experience academy level. Not sure why we'd take that risk again.

Far better options out there with first team experience.

Edited by LaticsLegend

56 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm placing complete trust in the board this time to go through a proper recruitment process. 

This is where I am at - I have no idea who will be the right man for the job. I too trust the board to do things properly this time and carry out a process that brings in the man to improve our on pitch performance. 

• Like 1

total trust and l'll ridiculously back. as per.

nearly all of us want them to get it right, no excuse for any more disharmony now.

lets grab our toys up and make it Franks Fortress©️®️™️

Edited by Monty Burns
it's not really copywritten, registered or trade marked.

Mellon or Clarke for me. They have the experience at both National League and League 2 and have promotions on their C.Vs. Both being out of work will avoid the need for paying-off a club.

Not sure if the Cowleys would drop down to NL. I suppose it depends if they’ve been knocked-back from other EFL jobs and fancy ‘starting again’.

I’d have thought the job will get plenty of interest and will appeal, especially with our squad and off the field set-up. Hopefully the new manager will wave at the crowd enough. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

This is where I am at - I have no idea who will be the right man for the job. I too trust the board to do things properly this time and carry out a process that brings in the man to improve our on pitch performance. 

Me too, all about the process and getting that right and trusting it will deliver the best person for the job.

I'd be interested in whether preferred candidates will be invited to apply/interview, or whether it will just be an open competition. Can see pros and cons for both approaches.

They need to be clear about what they want beyond just wanting to win football matches. There's quite a lot on twitter about Oldham being a good "project", and of course we all want something sustainable, but there's still a good chance of promotion this season and I do think the FA Trophy final should be a target.

But I do hope we go for a footballing manager, after 12 months of rhinoball it would be good to see some attractive attacking football. I'll still cheer us on if we're playing hoofball but I don't think that sits well with our fanbase.

I'd like to see them involve the supporters and players in the process. Either have an OASF rep and the skipper/PFA rep (might be the same person, Hogan) on the panel, or do separate sessions. Given how important both are to our success they should be consulted pre-appointment.

And they should have a football expert on the panel too, either a current manager/coach, or someone recently retired/sacked/resigned.  

• Like 1