The Next Oldham Manager

16 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I'd like to see them involve the supporters and players in the process. Either have an OASF rep and the skipper/PFA rep (might be the same person, Hogan) on the panel, or do separate sessions. Given how important both are to our success they should be consulted pre-appointment

Not for me. The board has the experience and, more importantly, the decision to make - they are already aware of the fans views and the players will in the main react positively to a new manager with fresh ideas.

fwiw I do hope that whoever comes in has the ‘clean slate’ approach and each player is given a fair chance to be part of the match day squad 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

They won't allow much more than a tenner

I'm a betting man but one market I would never touch is "next manager". As you say they won't take a large amount anyway. But it is a great market from the bookmakers' point of view. As often as not there'll be four or five odds-on favourites before a name no-one had mentioned gets the job.

Anyway there are two or three decent managers  on the list but some inexplicable ones. Danny Cowley is the stand-out name for me. I could see the brothers repeating at Boundary Park what they did at Sincil Bank.

22 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Me too, all about the process and getting that right and trusting it will deliver the best person for the job.

I'd be interested in whether preferred candidates will be invited to apply/interview, or whether it will just be an open competition. Can see pros and cons for both approaches.

They need to be clear about what they want beyond just wanting to win football matches. There's quite a lot on twitter about Oldham being a good "project", and of course we all want something sustainable, but there's still a good chance of promotion this season and I do think the FA Trophy final should be a target.

But I do hope we go for a footballing manager, after 12 months of rhinoball it would be good to see some attractive attacking football. I'll still cheer us on if we're playing hoofball but I don't think that sits well with our fanbase.

I'd like to see them involve the supporters and players in the process. Either have an OASF rep and the skipper/PFA rep (might be the same person, Hogan) on the panel, or do separate sessions. Given how important both are to our success they should be consulted pre-appointment.

And they should have a football expert on the panel too, either a current manager/coach, or someone recently retired/sacked/resigned.  

I don't wish to sound antagonistic but I don't think having supporters involved in the selection process of a manager would be a good idea.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wild is a complete non-starter. I'm placing complete trust in the board this time to go through a proper recruitment process. 

I wouldn't rule out Thompson or Mark Jackson, ex MK Don's manager...

You never know with Latics but Mark Jackson failed in his only managerial job at MK

Darrel Clarke is a possible for me. If he can get Garrity playing like he did he’s definitely got something.

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet

27 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Me too, all about the process and getting that right and trusting it will deliver the best person for the job.

I'd be interested in whether preferred candidates will be invited to apply/interview, or whether it will just be an open competition. Can see pros and cons for both approaches.

They need to be clear about what they want beyond just wanting to win football matches. There's quite a lot on twitter about Oldham being a good "project", and of course we all want something sustainable, but there's still a good chance of promotion this season and I do think the FA Trophy final should be a target.

But I do hope we go for a footballing manager, after 12 months of rhinoball it would be good to see some attractive attacking football. I'll still cheer us on if we're playing hoofball but I don't think that sits well with our fanbase.

I'd like to see them involve the supporters and players in the process. Either have an OASF rep and the skipper/PFA rep (might be the same person, Hogan) on the panel, or do separate sessions. Given how important both are to our success they should be consulted pre-appointment.

And they should have a football expert on the panel too, either a current manager/coach, or someone recently retired/sacked/resigned.  

That's bonkers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't wish to sound antagonistic but I don't think having supporters involved in the selection process of a manager would be a good idea.

There will always be a range of views! If I was Board I would trust OASF to be representative of our fanbase and either include a rep on the interview panel, or have candidates meet a small group of OASF members. The feedback from OASF would play an important part in the appointment for me. 

It's the project thing which lends me to the Cowleys. I remember tipping up to Sincil Bank for that FA Cup game and the place was absolutely buzzing. It was sold out, rammed in the fans bar and you could feel the whole thing was going somewhere. Their team was straight up better than our lower end League One and there was an inevitability about them not just going up but pushing on at FL level.

When I looked into it at the time the Cowleys had been at the forefront of getting into the community and encouraging the town to turn up and get behind them. With everything looking promising off the pitch at Latics it just feels like a fit.

Edited by jsslatic
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I think they’d be crazy to do this. 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

What could fans possibly contribute to the process and how on earth could the fans form a single view?  I'd guess that's never happened in football history at professional level.

Why wouldn't you want a view from your fanbase on probably the most important appointment at the football club? Our supporters have undoubtedly hastened the demise of Unsworth: those that stayed away from the Dorking, the "silent majority" that talked to Frank during and after the game on Saturday. And it would be reasonable to assume that OASF are representative in their views of the wider OAFC fanbase.

I actually think it would be madness to make such an appointment at a club like ours without input from supporters and the players. It's not their decision but their views might inform the Board's decision. 

25 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Why wouldn't you want a view from your fanbase on probably the most important appointment at the football club? Our supporters have undoubtedly hastened the demise of Unsworth: those that stayed away from the Dorking, the "silent majority" that talked to Frank during and after the game on Saturday. And it would be reasonable to assume that OASF are representative in their views of the wider OAFC fanbase.

I actually think it would be madness to make such an appointment at a club like ours without input from supporters and the players. It's not their decision but their views might inform the Board's decision. 

Because there is absolutely zero possibility of getting a fans' consensus

21 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

We couldn't get  consensus on here after about 6 months on the last appointment so I'm certainly not going to weigh in on the next engagement.

Apologies, don't think I've expressed it very well. I would include a rep, or reps, of the supporters and it would be about getting a fan's perspective on the candidates, also to see how the candidates interact with fans. Completely agree that a a consensus from the whole fanbase on the new appointment would be madness.

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

Apologies, don't think I've expressed it very well. I would include a rep, or reps, of the supporters and it would be about getting a fan's perspective on the candidates, also to see how the candidates interact with fans. Completely agree that a a consensus from the whole fanbase on the new appointment would be madness.

So a fan, singular, is put forward for a ‘fans perspective’. Pointless, that isn’t a ‘fans perspective’… it’s just one persons perspective. 

10 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Who is bothered how he interacts with fans. He can wear a balaclava and never do a single interview for all I care as long as we win. 

• Like 3

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Who is bothered how he interacts with fans. He can wear a balaclava and never do a single interview for all I care as long as we win. 

You say that but it was often levelled at Unsworth that he had no rapport with the fans. Personally I'm not too bothered about that kind of stuff in some ways but I think being a good media performer is indicative of other personal qualities. I also think that as a community club our manager has to be able to engage with our supporters and with the Oldham community.

Looking at the bookies list, it's quite exciting for the first time in a while. Probably because the club has always been on a downward trajectory when we're recruiting like this. Previously, any decent names on the list you knew were not going to be interested whereas now you'd think we're a very attractive proposition for quality managers in or around our level.

What I'd be looking for...

- Young(ish) - under 50
- No previous connection to the club
- Promotions on the cv including multiple with the same team either back to back or in quick succession
- Willing to work with the current squad with minimal changes and a plan for getting the best out of them (tactically, motivationally)
- Proven ability to hit the ground running rather than needing a year to bed in
- Straight talker (bit tongue in cheek this)

Then if a tie breaker is needed to separate all the managers who tick those boxes - an attractive style of play!

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

You say that but it was often levelled at Unsworth that he had no rapport with the fans. Personally I'm not too bothered about that kind of stuff in some ways but I think being a good media performer is indicative of other personal qualities. I also think that as a community club our manager has to be able to engage with our supporters and with the Oldham community.

People's biggest problem with Unsworth was that his style of football was shite and we weren't getting results.  Personal attacks (wrongly) came off the back of that.

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can we stop with all this project bollocks please, have we not learnt anything from the last appointment, I want a manager whose sole aim is to get a team to win football matches the rest of the stuff takes care of itself in my eyes if we are doing just that. 

Brilliant 👏