The Next Oldham Manager

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

With the odd exception, those days are long gone, and were even when Scholes was coming to the end of his playing career. It’s a romantic idea, but when you’ve played at the highest level and earned squillions why would you feel the need to finish in the lower leagues?

with a massive target on his back aswell

2 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Richie wellens please.You know he wants to be back up north.

I wouldn't touch Wellens again. Got us relegated regardless of any interference. We had a very small spell of playing ok in the grand scheme of things. 

Scholes an even worse shout. A man who couldn't win for toffee. First game doesn't count he'd been in charge fir about 30 minutes.

Guy from Sheff Weds would be interesting 

If Thompson has any say in the new boss given his head of recruitment role, I wouldn’t be surprised if Simon Grayson’s name gets mentioned , as he worked with him several times over the years.

Im not sure his stock is that high nowadays though, and I’ve no idea what he’s up to now.

Edited by Steve_R

Tell you who I don't want, Scholes, Bunn, Holden or any other ex manager for that matter. In fact I want the new manager to have had no association at all with the club so ex players need not apply. 

Must have NL experience, it was Unsworths main downfall imo, we can do without someone learning on the job as well.

Finally a contract based on performance and not security, three year contacts just put the club in a week position, emphasis really needs to be on improving us.

This job is a great opportunity in my opinion, we should attract some decent applicants but it's important we appoint the right man for the club, no excuses this time.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I wouldn't touch Wellens again. Got us relegated regardless of any interference. We had a very small spell of playing ok in the grand scheme of things. 

Scholes an even worse shout. A man who couldn't win for toffee. First game doesn't count he'd been in charge fir about 30 minutes.

Guy from Sheff Weds would be interesting 

Wrong about Wellens, but right about the other two.

Darren Moore would be really good.

You don't really have to try that hard to see there's some decent options out there.  We can turn this around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Wrong about Wellens, but right about the other two.

Darren Moore would be really good.

You don't really have to try that hard to see there's some decent options out there.  We can turn this around.

I can't see Darren Moore. He achieved enough to sit and wait for a good offer at least at L1 level 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't see Darren Moore. He achieved enough to sit and wait for a good offer at least at L1 level 

Yeah that ain’t going to happen. Didn’t the Sheff Wed chairman recently release a statement, something along the lines of Moore wanting like a million quid a year in wages? May have the figure wrong, but it was a massive massive number far outweighing what we could offer. 

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Wrong about Wellens,

Just because he went on to do well, doesn’t airbrush his time with us. 

It was AL’s first season and he backed him massively, we played well for four games in his caretaker period, and then got steadily worse- culminating in relegation. 

He’ll want 28 new players, all from the championship and when he doesn’t get them will moan constantly. He’s the lower leagues Conte, very good if you give him huge backing- whines and never takes responsibility if you don’t. 

No thanks. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

It was AL’s first season and he backed him massively, we played well for four games in his caretaker period, and then got steadily worse- culminating in relegation. 

He’ll want 28 new players, all from the championship and when he doesn’t get them will moan constantly. He’s the lower leagues Conte, very good if you give him huge backing- whines and never takes responsibility if you don’t. 

No thanks. 

It's never going to happen anyway and the arguments been done to death.

But I'm never going to be convinced that anything other than peak Lemsegam was the cause of that relegation, I'm afraid.  No point having a great squad if you're being told what players to play! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Previous success is no guarantee. ANYBODY after D.U will be an improvement but patience will be needed.Lets just see a settled team and  formation.Let the players play and let's start enjoying B.P. again.

Success WILL come with time. We've great owners who care so now we need players who care. We already have fans who care.

nothing is guaranteed but with a track record at least u know they have it in them. First timers are a total lottery hence better to go with someone who u know has shown they can do it 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No thanks. 

Agree on wellens. He was trying to get sacked at end playing ridic formations that got us relegated. Not for me 

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

l'd love Warnock he would be perfect for our unbalanced squad. 

bit outspoken for Franks taste maybe.

Warnock is bloody older than me, and should have put his feet up years ago.

Football is a young fellas game, and teams should be managed by slightly older young fellas.

Unsworth should be the last older generation manager we employ.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's never going to happen anyway and the arguments been done to death.

But I'm never going to be convinced that anything other than peak Lemsegam was the cause of that relegation, I'm afraid.  No point having a great squad if you're being told what players to play! 

I know- won’t happen. 

Last point though, lots said we played well under him- so when we played well he took the credit and interference isn’t an issue. When we lost, it wasn’t his fault as no manager can work under them. Can’t have it both ways. 

Anyway.

Darrell Clarke please. 

37 minutes ago, daniel said:

Yeah that ain’t going to happen. Didn’t the Sheff Wed chairman recently release a statement, something along the lines of Moore wanting like a million quid a year in wages? May have the figure wrong, but it was a massive massive number far outweighing what we could offer. 

Did he not just want paying in line with other salaries?

10 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Warnock is bloody older than me, and should have put his feet up years ago.

Football is a young fellas game, and teams should be managed by slightly older young fellas.

Unsworth should be the last older generation manager we employ.

well yeah.

now lm fully aware of everything that we are privvy to, l'm fine taking upto eight weeks to go through a proper recruitment process.

52 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Must have NL experience, it was Unsworths main downfall imo, 

It wouldn’t have mattered whatever League we were in…Unsworth isn’t capable of managing in any division, full stop!

Having NL experience wouldn’t be a condition if I was doing the hiring!

If you can manage a football team you can manage a football team.