MATCH: AFC Fylde (A) 24/10/23

Perhaps the wake-up call the board needs to realise recruitment is far from over. Mellon has what he has to work with and there is no way we should be casting judgement over his leadership, if anybody is thinking of doing so. There is a long way to go and to me, it  is looking like this season is maybe gone and the manager is going to have to build the squad for a promotion challenge next season.

Annoying as it is, this match is highlighting the frailties in the squad and I think we all knew this was coming. It's not over yet but with ten men, I expect the score line to at least stay the same or even sneak a draw at the very best.

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

8 unbeaten wasn't it? I think we all expected a poor result at some point, but it's the performance that's worrying

When you saw Shelton in the line up and not McGahey, did you not think "Shit, this is not good"? It's almost as if Shelton is the link back to the crap Unsworth performances and he may be the psychological weak link. 

Having seen the clip above, that was a fucking disgraceful decision in my opinion.
The club should attempt an overturn.

20 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Every outfield player is playing terrible , why just single out Shelton?

Because he's utter shite every time he plays. Should never pull an Oldham shirt on again - get rid - cancel his contract whatever - an utter liability EVERY time.

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Sorry. Didn't see this coming tonight. 8 unbeaten and playing like schoolboys. Dreadful.

It's a blip, Mellon, with his experience, will sort this out.
I think Southend will overtake us and make the playoffs. Kudos to them.

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Because he's utter shite every time he plays. Should never pull an Oldham shirt on again - get rid - cancel his contract whatever - an utter liability EVERY time.

By just focusing on him you are letting all the other players who are playing badly off the hook

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

That’s one of the most outrageous decisions for a second yellow I’ve ever seen.

It's all perception and easy for us to pass opinion on a slow motion replay. I imagine real time was more ambiguous but the club should rightly appeal the decision.

1 minute ago, Only Blue said:

By just focusing on him you are letting all the other players who are playing badly off the hook

Nope - he's terrible every time he plays. Some of the others have reasonable games sometimes. He's an absolute liability every time. 

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Didn't think you could appeal second yellows, only straight reds ?

I don't think the yellow for Hogan is wrong necessarily, because the hanging on starts before anything else, but the Fleetwood player should be off too

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

And leaves Shelton on, takes Lundstram off for Toilet.

Tollitt  can play well  particularly when he cuts in and shoots for the top corner  but has his faults Worth a go imo.

Edited by Flemboy

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

I said something about this being an obvious banana skin fixture in that previous thread that was locked. If Mellon thought he could mould the current squad into promotion contenders without major surgery, he might have to think again. Could be a good thing over the medium term.

I think that’s the silver lining to take from tonight. Mellon is no fool and will have heard about the weaknesses in the squad, but there’s no substitution for seeing with your own eyes how bad we can be.

To those questioning team selection/tactics, this is Mellon’s second game. He is bound to have said on arrival that every player started with a clean slate. He will very quickly learn who he can and can’t rely on.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Every outfield player is playing terrible , why just single out Shelton?

Are you his dad? He is shit. Never tackles, never goes forward, hides from the ball. He's a terrible player. He's our worst

33 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fight for the ball would help instead of constantly dispossessed.

You don't half talk garbage. Ball being lumped up to him and surrounded by about 5 players