Norwood

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

The best players will also create their own chances. 
Im not knocking him, I think presently he’s our only chance of getting out of this shithole of a league, but he shouldn’t be beyond criticism and I was expecting more from him.

Definitely, he’s a tidy forward and proven but I think part of the seeming frustration in his body language is he probably knows he should be doing better. 

38 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Fondop's only contribution this season is a red card against Solihull. Cannot believe anyone would want to play him above Norwood. He's painfully average and a liability 

So our top scorer last season is rubbish, but our top scorer this season is beyond question?

I'm not particularly pro-Fondop, just think it would be interesting to give something else a go.  I'd like Willoughby to be given a fair go up front at some point too.

Edited by JoeP

28 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So our top scorer last season is rubbish, but our top scorer this season is beyond question?

I'm not particularly pro-Fondop, just think it would be interesting to give something else a go.  I'd like Willoughby to be given a fair go up front at some point too.

We are saving Big Mike for Dorking away🙂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I didnt say he was rubbish, i said he was average. He's also a liability who can't be trusted. He's cost us 3 games already this year, do you really want him in the side for a big game?

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I didnt say he was rubbish, i said he was average. He's also a liability who can't be trusted. He's cost us 3 games already this year, do you really want him in the side for a big game?

I don't think the fact he got sent-off should be held against him for eternity...

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He did create the chance in the second half yesterday - pressuring the defender and nicking the ball. He was through on goal but to then not take the shot was baffling.

Yes, I saw it that way too. He just took a touch and the sight of goal then became blocked so he looked for Nutall. I did expect him to score, but it was a little bit of quality that created the chance to begin with.

He is miles ahead of any of the other forwards so we have to set the team up to play to his strengths. That means getting it into his feet for the flicks and the one twos rather than lump it up there and expect him to win headers and chase lost causes. He simply is not that type of player and hopefully MM  knows this.

He plays on the shoulder of the centre half and will score plenty of goals if Gardener can stay fit.

• Like 1

The other point I was going to make is that I am struggling to figure out who is the best option to play alongside him?

Nuttall should be the best choice, but he appears low on confidence and is strangely unwilling to get into a physical battle with the centre half. That puts Fondop into the frame, but Mike often struggles when starting games and as well as being a liability at times he is a limited footballer and so may struggle to get onto Norwood’s wavelength.

Maybe Reid is due a few games to see how that works out; this may be more successful at home than away?

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So have 3 managers.

The last option is Willoughby who barely gets a look in these days.

I have no clue what Willoughby’s role in this team is supposed to be. It would help if he could reinvent himself as a wide player who takes on full backs and crosses the ball

4 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Fondop's only contribution this season is a red card against Solihull. Cannot believe anyone would want to play him above Norwood. He's painfully average and a liability 

I wouldn’t play him above Norwood, but I’d introduce him in the games above Nuttall . He is average that’s true , but they all are really . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I certainly would never play him ahead of Norwood. For me Fondop should become our "super sub" for the rest of the season (as David Fairclough was for Liverpool). Use him, when appropriate, for the last half hour and let him unleash his power. Nothing to lose, because other options aren't really coming off at the moment. 

Edited by wiseowl
Fairclough spelling
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I certainly would never play him ahead of Norwood. For me Fondop should become our "super sub" for the rest of the season (as David Fairclogh was for Liverpool). Use him, when appropriate, for the last half hour and let him unleash his power. Nothing to lose, because other options aren't really coming off at the moment. 

We didn't use all our subs again.