MATCH: Eastleigh (H) 11/11/23

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I wouldn’t boo one of our player on, it’s also weird booing at the end of every game. But Shelton doesn’t do himself any favours, first pass was straight to one of the Eastleigh players and they almost scored.

TBF he did well after that, thought Kurt did well when he came on although he should have put that chance away at the end. Hobson is immense can't see him being here much longer, he should be playing in the EFL. 

11 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Hobson and McGahey best players. 

Gardner continuing to prove he’s a myth. So much indecision and poor passing. His dead ball delivery was woeful today, started by that ridiculous corner. 

Strange he played RM until we switched to wing backs. He did start his career as a RM in fairness 

40 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Oh and if you booed Shelton on then give your head a wobble.

Or fuck off.

Either/or.

Was going to post something similar.  We know he's not Messi (as his first involvement confirms), but to whom is it benefiting booing him on?  Trying to make someone feel like shite isn't big or clever..

On the game - the first-half was one of the worst halves we've had - and that's saying something.  Passing was amateur - every move ended up going to either an opposition player or straight out of play.  

The ref was a joke - suspicious penalty to them and then Hope pulled all over the place in the box and nothing given.  We still need to do shithousery better.

No change in opinion on Norwood - as guilty of giving the ball away as the rest of them.  I think his game's dropped down to our level, rather than having him here getting everyone to raise their game to his, perhaps?  Willoughby was lively when he came on (although he did miss a good chance at the end).  I'd like to see him given more of a run in the side.

Hobson again our best player - although he was a bit naughty with that challenge at the end.  Credit to Freeman for putting his head on the line defending the ensuing free-kick.

Two positives to end on - we deserved the equaliser just about in the second-half and I still think it's better than under Unsworth, because we aren't giving the opposition as many chances.  There's no "lucky" results (like Unsworth's post-January run) - the results under Mellon so far have generally reflected the performance and I think once he brings his own players in both results and performances will improve.

Also credit to the Eastleigh fans for raising £500 for Frank's row across the Atlantic.  Lovely gesture!

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 5

I don’t know what some are watching.

We actually look like a team that plays to a plan and tactics. Our ball retention and passing are far superior (can still improve) to anything we had under Unsy. We dominated possession, and reduced them to no chances. We created a number of chances and should’ve scored at least 3 or 4 today. 

It’s about getting a consistency of performance at this stage. We play like that more often than not and we’ll shoot up the table. 

Far to much doom and gloom over nothing. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just now, League one forever said:

We actually look like a team that plays to a plan tactics. Our ball retention and passing are far superior (can still improve) to anything we had under Unsy. We dominated possession, and reduced them to no chances. We created a number of chances and should’ve scored at least 3 or 4 today. 

It’s about getting a consistency of performance at this stage. We play like that more often than not and we’ll shoot up the table. 

its the results. l felt like MM was beggin a bit by sayin how the fans have always backed the team, people didnt listen 😔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

We actually look like a team that plays to a plan tactics. Our ball retention and passing are far superior (can still improve) to anything we had under Unsy. We dominated possession, and reduced them to no chances. We created a number of chances and should’ve scored at least 3 or 4 today. 

100%. Normally a home draw would put me in a bad mood but I feel really positive about that today. Not perfect obviously and still lots to work on, but I could see actual patterns of attacking play and much more linked play between different areas of the pitch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

its the results. l felt like MM was beggin a bit by sayin how the fans have always backed the team, people didnt listen 😔

If he was 15/20 games in, and we were playing well but ultimately not winning I’d understand the frustration. But not 5 games in- especially when by any other metric than the result we are miles better to watch. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Strange he played RM until we switched to wing backs. He did start his career as a RM in fairness 

He started as an attacking central mifldfiekder at Droylsden and played that role for most of his clubs. He occasionally played right wing here under several managers without much success - like today.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Christ Steve. 😂

Are we there because of Mellon? 

No. 

Obviously not cos he’s only just got the gig. But we’re a long way of we’re we need to be so I’d say that’s why there’s ‘doom and gloom’ although this board seems fairly upbeat to be honest.

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If he was 15/20 games in, and we were playing well but ultimately not winning I’d understand the frustration. But not 5 games in- especially when by any other metric than the result we are miles better to watch. 

I thought 2nd half we played some decent football, we looked better with the "3" or 5-3-2 or 3-4-3,whatever it was it worked, the goal was a great pass by Mcgahey which was an equally great driven cross from Kitching. We look better with Kitching further up the pitch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Didn't go or listen today, but come on lads....it's fucking Eastleigh at home!

1-1 is not good enough even if we improved from recent games.

That's our 4th home draw on the spin so 8 points dropped, and we have failed to win or keep a clean sheet against Maidenhead, D&R,  Alty and Eastleigh.

We've won 1 in our last 7 league games which I'm sorry just doesn't cut it.

Need nothing but 3 points at Woking next Saturday as now 5 pts off Gateshead in 7th who have a game in hand, and we go to Barnet after Woking.

I'm not blaming MM yet,

but some of these players need to get their heads out of their arses and start to win some football games.

5 wins from 19 is just piss poor.

Bang on bud👍

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I thought 2nd half we played some decent football, we looked better with the "3" or 5-3-2 or 3-4-3,whatever it was it worked, the goal was a great pass by Mcgahey which was an equally great driven cross from Kitching. We look better with Kitching further up the pitch. 

I think we could see more of the back 3, especially with McGahey playing as he can step up into midfield if we wanted to change to a back 4 without subs. 

3 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I can’t get excited about how many points behind seventh place we are.

No one has asked you to get excited about being 5 points behind 7th.

Would you be excited if we finished in the play offs?

7 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Thought Eastleigh were half decent and tried to play football most of the time .

Hate to be a Contrary Mary, but I thought they were rubbish, even by this division's standard.

Their 'keeper was decent and I'm jealous of their shithousery.  That's about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Yep, agreed. The key in the second half was the upping of our tempo. We moved the ball much quicker and got from front to back with pace. Which resulted in creating some great chances. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

No one has asked you to get excited about being 5 points behind 7th.

Would you be excited if we finished in the play offs?

If we win them. No prizes dished out if you don’t, and the best chance of winning them is being the best team in them, and god knows how many points behind that we are