MATCH: Eastleigh (H) 11/11/23

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

And in my 60s I'm feeling every minute of being an old fucker lol

thats not even old these days with all the clean air, fresh totally not laced with clorine and bleach water and healthy food available to us. plus a govt. that respects those who filled their coffers with gold for 40/50/60 years and treats them with the respect they deserve.*

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Not how I saw the game… we gave the ball away constantly and the team looked afraid to express itself - too often turning backwards and failing to spot the right pass - and we continue to panic when put under the slightest pressure.

Only Hobson and Hogan (and Willoughby when he came on) stepped up today - the rest were average at best - thankfully we got the equaliser with a great cross and strike.

Another underperformance from the team today - Mellon hadn’t really improved us so far.

We need a direct runner from central midfield to get defenders on the back foot, most teams seem to have one and I guess the next signing will be that type of player.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

We need a direct runner from central midfield to get defenders on the back foot, most teams seem to have one and I guess the next signing will be that type of player.

I had hoped that Lundstram would be that player but on the evidence so far he isn’t 

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Calling Mellon already is ridiculous.  He needs the same time Unsworth had and more.

Just on the gate - I've no idea how they're worked out.  The crowd looked well down yesterday, but was announced as around the same sort of numbers we've been getting...

lve never seen us with a manager so sure of what he is doing and where he is going.

also Frank won't do owt he sees as dodgy, he will count the ST holders not in attendance for VAT purposes. he just comes across as a bloke who has everything in order. he is an absolute legend looking and looking  at the set up we wont even be affected if the worst happens. when he is doing something brave and daft that he totally doesnt need to do. but he does bc he is one of those rare working class millionaires.

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I had hoped that Lundstram would be that player but on the evidence so far he isn’t 

Yes,I found it strange he spent much of his time in front of our defenders and not attacking theirs.

The team application was there yesterday, but we need to get Norwood firing, a lot of moves broke down with him.

Fondop isn't to everyone's taste, but he's the only strong player who could stay close to Norwood and take the weight off him.

Surprised MM hasn't tried this.

Edited by BP1960

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Kurt looked good behind the two strikers yesterday. If we had a decent creative player in that position we would be far better and score far more goals. 

But if we are going to play wing backs Freeman needs replacing asap. He’s not got enough fitness to play that position. (He’s played it at a higher level so maybe needs time). 

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

lve never seen us with a manager so sure of what he is doing and where he is going.

also Frank won't do owt he sees as dodgy, he will count the ST holders not in attendance for VAT purposes. he just comes across as a bloke who has everything in order. he is an absolute legend looking and looking  at the set up we wont even be affected if the worst happens. when he is doing something brave and daft that he totally doesnt need to do. but he does bc he is one of those rare working class millionaires.

I know he's not doing anything dodgy - if we were we'd be doing it the other way (i.e saying there's only 2,000 there when there's 5,000!)!

It's just, if we're counting seasons tickets, even if they don't attend (so circa 4,000), that means 2,500 are paying in every week, which sounds like a lot.  I know there will be complimentary tickets involved, etc but that won't be that many, surely?

Edited by JoeP

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Fondop should be used as he was today. 10mins of desperation 

Fondop almost scored after he came on with a good piece of skill and for the first time unsettled their 2 big centre backs.

Start him with Norwood and let's see if we can unsettle defences from the off.

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fondop almost scored after he came on with a good piece of skill and for the first time unsettled their 2 big centre backs.

Start him with Norwood and let's see if we can unsettle defences from the off.

He’s capable of a moment of brilliance, he has that in his locker. I think we should let Norwood and Reid settle. 

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I know he's not doing anything dodgy - if we were we'd be doing it the other way (i.e saying there's only 2,000 there when there's 5,000!)!

It's just, if we're counting seasons tickets, even if they don't attend (so circa 4,000), that means 2,500 are paying in every week, which sounds like a lot.  I know there will be complimentary tickets involved, etc but that won't be that many, surely?

wild and dangerous ponderings baselessy opined and seen by those required at the time

Edited by Monty Burns
see above
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Kurt looked good behind the two strikers yesterday. If we had a decent creative player in that position we would be far better and score far more goals. 

But if we are going to play wing backs Freeman needs replacing asap. He’s not got enough fitness to play that position. (He’s played it at a higher level so maybe needs time). 

Freeman seems to have had a patchy career, but he has bags of ability. we need a Phil Neville type who can play LB   RB    CM    RM  and doesnt moan when he is on the bench bc the better lads are fit.

l think thats supposed to be Sheron/Shelton tbh but we just arent ready it as a fanbase

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’ve done it to death. But what did people think of the midfield without Sheron ? 

I think our passing particularly in the first-half was notably worse, which for me further disproves the "Sheron can't pass" theory..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Apart from get a shot on target and win his headers. 

The "shot on target" was wildly speculative and could have easily been saved by me and any of the other pensioners sitting in the stands and if you can't win a few headers when you've his physique you shouldn't be on the field.

I do think he's well worth his place however, on the bench.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Much better second half I agree but…in no particular order:

We may retain more possession but we still go backward or sideways far too often.

Our passing… I lost count the number of times we gave the ball away - under hitting or over hitting the ball - too many players seem to panic when under pressure

Yes we are creating chances but the players are still wasting them. 

We have improved our play when compared against the Unsworth days but if you compare us now against the caretaker days, we don’t really look much better in my opinion.

I know we are work in progress but still frustrating and disappointing…in Mellon we trust…I suppose 👀

Yeah, I hear you BD.

I think the line is- it’s a lot better from an appalling low bar. But it still needs to really improve- something Mellon readily acknowledges. 

I used to think all the time with Unsworth- I can’t see anything being worked on/developed that gives me hope. 

With Mellon I definitely can, and that gives me confidence that with time we’ll really click into gear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I’ve done it to death. But what did people think of the midfield without Sheron ? 

It was clearly better, but still short of where it should be. Thought the passing was more positive, if not a bit wayward at times.
Unfortunately, Sheron will walk straight back in to the side.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I’ve never understood how you can count people who aren’t there in the attendance figure. If you don’t attend, how can you be in attendance?

10 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I’ve never understood how you can count people who aren’t there in the attendance figure. If you don’t attend, how can you be in attendance?

I wonder when we had crowds of 2,000 were season tickets holders included?