MATCH: Eastleigh (H) 11/11/23

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He has 5 in 13 with (by some distance) the best minutes per goal ratio at the club. 

But that probably doesn’t mean anything. .  👀

Your man Nuttall has 1 in 13. 

Means nothing when it comes to his performance today. Can't expect him to score everything but ithink if Fondop would have started we'd have had a better chance of winning. 

I didn't mention Nuttall

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Means nothing when it comes to his performance today. Can't expect him to score everything but ithink if Fondop would have started we'd have had a better chance of winning. 

I didn't mention Nuttall

Fondop should be used as he was today. 10mins of desperation 

22 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I didn't mention Nuttall

His performance today was really good. He got in great positions and on another day could have had a couple. Whenever a striker scores - he’s done his job. Without his goal, we lose today.

I know, I was pulling your leg. 

4 hours ago, jsslatic said:

Oh and if you booed Shelton on then give your head a wobble.

Or fuck off.

Either/or.

Preferably the latter.

I've got good idea. Let's boo one of our own players when he comes on & before he touches the ball. That'll make him play better. 

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t know what some are watching.

We actually look like a team that plays to a plan and tactics. Our ball retention and passing are far superior (can still improve) to anything we had under Unsy. We dominated possession, and reduced them to no chances. We created a number of chances and should’ve scored at least 3 or 4 today. 

It’s about getting a consistency of performance at this stage. We play like that more often than not and we’ll shoot up the table. 

Far too much doom and gloom over nothing. 

Not how I saw the game… we gave the ball away constantly and the team looked afraid to express itself - too often turning backwards and failing to spot the right pass - and we continue to panic when put under the slightest pressure.

Only Hobson and Hogan (and Willoughby when he came on) stepped up today - the rest were average at best - thankfully we got the equaliser with a great cross and strike.

Another underperformance from the team today - Mellon hadn’t really improved us so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpotTheBall85 said:

I thought Willoughby looked good when he came on. Would like to see him get more game time.

Shelton did himself no favours. 1st pass made and gave it away for them to have a chance at goal. Looks to have no confidence whatsoever but not surprised when he's booed onto the pitch and everyone's on his back.

Is Nuttall injured or is he following Ben Tollit out the door?

Hopefully!😂😂

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

we gave the ball away constantly and the team looked afraid to express itself - too often turning backwards and failing to spot the right pass -

In the first half I’d agree, our build up play was slow and laboured. Second half it was much better. For a team ‘afraid to express itself’ we created at least 6 guilt edge chances. Meanwhile Hudson hasn’t made a save. 

39 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Only Hobson and Hogan (and Willoughby when he came on) stepped up today - the rest were average at best - thankfully we got the equaliser with a great cross and strike.

Disagree. 

Kitching

Hobson

Hogan

Lundy

Reid 

Kurt

All played well. 

41 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Another underperformance from the team today - Mellon hadn’t really improved us so far.

We’ve had two poor performance’s and 3 decent. In the 3 decent performances we have by every possible measure played better than anything I saw Under Unsy. 

In no particular order. 

We retain a lot more possession. 

We actually pass the ball. 

We create far more chances. 

We look threat when we go forward. 

You can see patterns of play/working to a game plan. 

The players look like they know their role/understand the tactics. 

We’ve come from behind twice. 

Is it perfect? No. Can we get better? Yes. But it’s still a massive improvement from the football under Unsworth. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

In the first half I’d agree, our build up play was slow and laboured. Second half it was much better. For a team ‘afraid to express itself’ we created at least 6 guilt edge chances. Meanwhile Hudson hasn’t made a save. 

Disagree. 

Kitching

Hobson

Hogan

Lundy

Reid 

Kurt

All played well. 

We’ve had two poor performance’s and 3 decent. In the 3 decent performances we have by every possible measure played better than anything I saw Under Unsy. 

In no particular order. 

Is it perfect? No. Can we get better? Yes. But it’s still a massive improvement from the football under Unsworth. 

Is ir a massive improvement from Thompson though?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Is ir a massive improvement from Thompson though?

The big thing for me is the lack of chances we're giving the opposition, while creating them ourselves.

Take the Dagenham and Redbridge game as a case study - we should have lost.  We got a draw because they missed loads of chances. Like under Unsworth, affording the opposition so many opportunities is too risky.

Yesterday was still a disappointing result, but Eastleigh will be the happier, because it's us that had the chances and they were fortunate to get the point.  Even Newport - they didn't have many chances.  One was a good finish from a half-chance and the other was a speculative long-shot.  We were poor, but still should have at least drawn, but Norwood missed two good opportunities.

"Incremental improvement.."

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Thought Maguire ran the midfield for them , and Barlow when he came on . Our midfield is still the big issue too many players who pass sideways ,back or hoof. Five wins out of nineteen is poor, but we are a poor side at the moment . More confidence in Mellon getting it right than the previous people but like he says it will take time .

Also thought there ex Newcastle United centre back francillette was good.

l dont think we are a poor side l think we are struggling to adjust mentally back to being allowed to play Football. also theirs a few who might be considered 'soft' by the boooo brigade and suffer a bit from nerves, especially at home. MM has said he will give these guys a chance to change and then replace them if they can't do it.

lve accepted we won't win the league but finishing 7th whilst MM learns and builds will happen IMO.

l also think Hallam Hope is a favourite of MM but bc of the current finishing ability he is showing he will be replaced if it doesnt improve. personally l think he will go on a goalscoring run soon.

*anecdote alert^ my nephew has seen him twice he isnt Latics yet so he doesnt come much, but he has got 2 goals an assist and worked his bollocks of so he loves him. but imagine those two games were yesterday and the last home game? he would look like the non league version of that libpool guy who keeps missing!!

Edited by Monty Burns
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

In no particular order. 

Much better second half I agree but…in no particular order:

We may retain more possession but we still go backward or sideways far too often.

Our passing… I lost count the number of times we gave the ball away - under hitting or over hitting the ball - too many players seem to panic when under pressure

Yes we are creating chances but the players are still wasting them. 

We have improved our play when compared against the Unsworth days but if you compare us now against the caretaker days, we don’t really look much better in my opinion.

I know we are work in progress but still frustrating and disappointing…in Mellon we trust…I suppose 👀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The big thing for me is the lack of chances we're giving the opposition, while creating them ourselves.

Take the Dagenham and Redbridge game as a case study - we should have lost.  We got a draw because they missed loads of chances. Like under Unsworth, affording the opposition so many opportunity is too risky.

Yesterday was still a disappointing result, but Eastleigh will be the happier, because it's us that had the chances and they were fortunate to get the point.  Even Newport - they didn't have many chances.  One was a good finish from a half-chance and the other was a speculative long-shot.  We were poor, but still should have at least drawn, but Norwood missed two good opportunities.

Incremental improvement..

yep. we are just [maybe rightly] impatient AF!!

nearly 6500 Latics there tho so that is encouraging. a late winner would have been great in that aspect, but theyve defo risen slightly after Rhino left. back a few years we used to struggle to rustle up 6000 for games like Hull or Swansea, so to be doing it against Eastleigh is rather positive.

12 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Thought Maguire ran the midfield for them , and Barlow when he came on . Our midfield is still the big issue too many players who pass sideways ,back or hoof. Five wins out of nineteen is poor, but we are a poor side at the moment . More confidence in Mellon getting it right than the previous people but like he says it will take time .

Also thought there ex Newcastle United centre back francillette was good.

Bloody outstanding more like

Without him I think we'd of seen them off well and truly, added to the chances we should have put away.

• Like 2

It’s all about results on the pitch but I must admit I find Mellons interviews refreshingly honest comps to the bullshit Unsworth came out with. Mentioned the missed chances but wasn’t happy with our overall performances , saying we didn’t dominate the game. Was unsure about the penalty but didn’t bleat on about it like you know who would have done.

He knows what needs doing so hopefully he’ll get on and do it.

• Like 1

I think if that had been when Rhino was here we would have lost that game.  It reminded me of the Halifax game at home last season when we lost to a dubious penalty and then struggled to create any chances. The difference was we came out better in the second half and created some good chances particularly down the left. 

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yep. we are just [maybe rightly] impatient AF!!

nearly 6500 Latics there tho so that is encouraging. a late winner would have been great in that aspect, but theyve defo risen slightly after Rhino left. back a few years we used to struggle to rustle up 6000 for games like Hull or Swansea, so to be doing it against Eastleigh is rather positive.

Calling Mellon already is ridiculous.  He needs the same time Unsworth had and more.

Just on the gate - I've no idea how they're worked out.  The crowd looked well down yesterday, but was announced as around the same sort of numbers we've been getting...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Mellon we trust…I suppose 👀

this is so important. on thursday he managed to tell a room full of people and an online audience things like 'l know what lm doing'    'we WILL go up (maybe not this year)' and even laughed at the daftness of some of the questions without seeming arrogant. 

l didn't want him l thought he was too old school but he really isnt, he's great lm rather excited where he is going to take us.

also disnissed and budget rumours, we will be spending money. as fans who don't boycott Puma products everybody needs to keep doing what theyre doing. apart from the booooing, that needs to stop and l'd like to hear Eminem address that head on as a matrer of urgency.

4 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Bloody outstanding more like

Without him I think we'd of seen them off well and truly, added to the chances we should have put away.

good to see this. l love an old fucker that can assess things fairly and isnt blinded by all the hurt, suffering and embarrassment the previous custodians have put us through 😘

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Much better second half I agree but…in no particular order:

We may retain more possession but we still go backward or sideways far too often.

Our passing… I lost count the number of times we gave the ball away - under hitting or over hitting the ball - too many players seem to panic when under pressure

Yes we are creating chances but the players are still wasting them. 

We have improved our play when compared against the Unsworth days but if you compare us now against the caretaker days, we don’t really look much better in my opinion.

I know we are work in progress but still frustrating and disappointing…in Mellon we trust…I suppose 👀

They were just as guilty of stray passes and you could see the press as Lundstram was always choosing a backward pass as opposed to defence splitters going forward, once he changed ploy, we had them on the back foot.

Much better organisation and purpose about our play than we had with Big Dave and it can only improve.

Now who would have thought that not long ago?