MATCH: Eastleigh (H) 11/11/23

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think we could see more of the back 3, especially with McGahey playing as he can step up into midfield if we wanted to change to a back 4 without subs. 

I get that, but it leaves Raglan out in the cold, could he be one to leave shortly? He must be frustrated by his lack of game time. 

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If he was 15/20 games in, and we were playing well but ultimately not winning I’d understand the frustration. But not 5 games in- especially when by any other metric than the result we are miles better to watch. 

yeah he even said 'lve only been here four games' at the event when asked about Reid!!

Thought Maguire ran the midfield for them , and Barlow when he came on . Our midfield is still the big issue too many players who pass sideways ,back or hoof. Five wins out of nineteen is poor, but we are a poor side at the moment . More confidence in Mellon getting it right than the previous people but like he says it will take time .

Also thought there ex Newcastle United centre back francillette was good.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I get that, but it leaves Raglan out in the cold, could he be one to leave shortly? He must be frustrated by his lack of game time. 

I’ve previously advocated for a back 3 so Raglan can play. I think he should be in the team. But from a flexibility point of view I could see why McGahey could be preferred. Tough call for MM. 

41 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

5 points off the play offs. 27 games to go. 

“Stranded”.

Only 23 points behind Chesterfield as well and 81 points to play for.

For what it's worth I thought we were better today but still find it hard to celebrate anything about a point at home to fucking Eastleigh nearly half way through the season. Like I said it's going to take plenty of time to turn it around, let's see if they can back it up in two trickyish away games.

What's with all the bitching with the officials and going after them as well, what exactly does it acheive other than us getting absolutely fuck all out of them?.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Hobson and McGahey best players. 

Gardner continuing to prove he’s a myth. So much indecision and poor passing. His dead ball delivery was woeful today, started by that ridiculous corner. 

Probably  the worst corner kick I've ever seen

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If anything 3 at the back is a route back into the team for Raglan. Mcgahey has a history of struggling with injuries plus he can possibly move into midfield if necessary. Plus we will need cover for Hobson and Hogan too.

I thought Willoughby looked good when he came on. Would like to see him get more game time.

Shelton did himself no favours. 1st pass made and gave it away for them to have a chance at goal. Looks to have no confidence whatsoever but not surprised when he's booed onto the pitch and everyone's on his back.

Is Nuttall injured or is he following Ben Tollit out the door?

To quote Andy from the pod and Coogan in the 'The thick of it' before, I am actually 'zen as fuck' at the moment. Confident Mellon will get it right and, even if it's relatively shit for the rest of the season, I'm far more optimistic with him in charge. We'll come good. 

Last two home results have been disappointing but the performances have been better. Incremental improvements might actually be apt.

• Like 2

Not our worst performance but Eastleigh weren't great.

Too many times Lundstram got the ball and others were hiding. Clearly needed Fondop on from about ten minutes in today as nobody was showing to feet and when they did get it, mainly Norwood, we just turned possession over. 

Reid missed 3 absolutely glorious chances. Again, if Nuttall had missed them he'd have been slaughtered. Reid seems to get a free pass. He scored, luckily, because he as about to be subbed after one of the worst striker performances I've ever seen. 

Hudson was fine today, a couple of good bits of distribution.

Freeman played well for the most part, some good link up play down the right.

Hobson brilliant again. My MOTM

Hogan played well, can see why he got frustrated with that penalty, looked a shocker.

Kitching, didn't seem 100% today. Played OK but not as good as normal.

Gardner. Some shocking passes. He tries and they won't all come off but there are times he looks Sunday League.

Hope was a solid 7. Played well. Was surprised to see him subbed.

McGahey was alright. Great ball to Kitching for the goal. Sheron should be straight back in, no worries.

Lundstram played well. Sometimes could be quicker getting forward but struggles for options at times so has to go backwards more than he would probably like as people go hiding.

Norwood was poor. Consistently gave it away. One or two good touches. Nothing of significance 

Reid. Goal aside absolutely terrible. Awful. Should have scored a bagful today. Quicker than the other strikers, that's it.

Fondop showed in 7 minutes why he should have been brought on earlier. Needs to start next game.

Willoughby ran round a lot. Not in the game enough to judge again. Should have done better with his chance.

Signs we can improve. 

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not our worst performance but Eastleigh weren't great.

Too many times Lundstram got the ball and others were hiding. Clearly needed Fondop on from about ten minutes in today as nobody was showing to feet and when they did get it, mainly Norwood, we just turned possession over. 

Reid missed 3 absolutely glorious chances. Again, if Nuttall had missed them he'd have been slaughtered. Reid seems to get a free pass. He scored, luckily, because he as about to be subbed after one of the worst striker performances I've ever seen. 

Hudson was fine today, a couple of good bits of distribution.

Freeman played well for the most part, some good link up play down the right.

Hobson brilliant again. My MOTM

Hogan played well, can see why he got frustrated with that penalty, looked a shocker.

Kitching, didn't seem 100% today. Played OK but not as good as normal.

Gardner. Some shocking passes. He tries and they won't all come off but there are times he looks Sunday League.

Hope was a solid 7. Played well. Was surprised to see him subbed.

McGahey was alright. Great ball to Kitching for the goal. Sheron should be straight back in, no worries.

Lundstram played well. Sometimes could be quicker getting forward but struggles for options at times so has to go backwards more than he would probably like as people go hiding.

Norwood was poor. Consistently gave it away. One or two good touches. Nothing of significance 

Reid. Goal aside absolutely terrible. Awful. Should have scored a bagful today. Quicker than the other strikers, that's it.

Fondop showed in 7 minutes why he should have been brought on earlier. Needs to start next game.

Willoughby ran round a lot. Not in the game enough to judge again. Should have done better with his chance.

Signs we can improve. 

Fondop did nothing when he came on. Kurt did really well. Did we go same game ? 😂

18 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Does he? Reid has missed a load of sitters. Including about 3 today

My memory is possibly letting me down in my older age, but I don't remember him missing any chances today... cocked up a few passes, maybe.

Hope missed one in front of goal when it probably came at him too quickly, Willoughby missed one late on, there was the two saves from their 'keeper and a header from possible Hogan in the second-half when he should have scored, but I can't remember us creating much else..

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

😂😂😂

You hate Reid don’t you. 

He missed one chance in the second half, that he should have buried. 

His other chance he smashed home. 

He’s ten times the player Nuttall is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

My memory is possibly letting me down in my older age, but I don't remember him missing any chances today... cocked up a few passes, maybe.

Hope missed one in front of goal when it probably came at him too quickly, Willoughby missed one late on, there was the two saves from their 'keeper and a header from possible Hogan in the second-half when he should have scored, but I can't remember us creating much else..

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

You hate Reid don’t you. 

He missed one chance in the second half, that he should have buried. 

His other chance he smashed home. 

He’s ten times the player Nuttall is. 

He was clean through and waited half an our till the defender got back and put out for a corner, didn't even get a shot away. The Hope one that @JoeP mentions was Reids miss. Reid should have buried it but he fluffed it and it smashed through to Hope. Was also clean through and didnt even hit the target with his left foot from near 6 yard box

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He was clean through and waited half an our till the defender got back and put out for a corner, didn't even get a shot away. The Hope one that @JoeP mentions was Reids miss. Reid should have buried it but he fluffed it and it smashed through to Hope. Was also clean through and didnt even hit the target with his left foot from near 6 yard box

He has 5 in 13 with (by some distance) the best minutes per goal ratio at the club. 

But that probably doesn’t mean anything. .  👀

Your man Nuttall has 1 in 13. 

• Like 1