MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 16/01/24 - OFF

19 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

MM played most of the fringe players to see if even they were good enough to beat a team two divisions below.

Even if we didn't have a Tuesday fixture I think he would have still played most of them.

All the top teams do this in the League Cup and League One and Two do it in the Pizza Cup (I can't remember it's name).

The only reason it stands out more this year is because we have a lot more player to choose from who are supposed to be challenging for the first team. 

Exactly exactly exactly! FA trophy not a priority so don’t put more miles into the first team players. Play fringe players. They should still be capable of winning but if they don’t then it’s not a disaster as the competition is not as important. Plus you learn something (or confirm something!) about those players. 

The rotation was about the bigger picture of the rest of the season and prioritising the league, not because we had a game on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Exactly exactly exactly! FA trophy not a priority so don’t put more miles into the first team players. Play fringe players. They should still be capable of winning but if they don’t then it’s not a disaster as the competition is not as important. Plus you learn something (or confirm something!) about those players. 

The rotation was about the bigger picture of the rest of the season and prioritising the league, not because we had a game on Tuesday. 

Exactly 

Why do certain people not understand this and say it was poor management from MM.

It was a great opportunity to get into the heads of the fringe players.  If they can’t motivate themselves to put some effort in and show they can contribute to the matches that really matter, then they are actually just giving up, waiting for the end of their contact. And many of them didn’t pass the test.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Exactly 

Why do certain people not understand this and say it was poor management from MM.

It was a great opportunity to get into the heads of the fringe players.  If they can’t motivate themselves to put some effort in and show they can contribute to the matches that really matter, then they are actually just giving up, waiting for the end of their contact. And many of them didn’t pass the test.

I remember the last game against Mickleover when people were annoyed we went full strength

• Like 1

• Matt changed the title to MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 16/01/24 - OFF

I'm digging deep into my memory bank here.

Boxing day 1962.  Southport at home. Groundsman just ran a roller over the snow, lots of grip for the players studs, so Latics just cracked on. Lines on the snow painted blue, and they played with a brown ball.

7-0 at half time, 11-0 at the end. Bert Lister scored 7. And it's still a club record. 

If memory serves, it was about minus 10 that day, but of course players weren't fragile pieces of ornaments then. So just ran out with legs smothered in wintergreen ( ask ya dad ) and played football. The good old days. How many on here attended that match ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Boxing day 1962.  Southport at home. Groundsman just ran a roller over the snow, lots of grip for the players studs, so Latics just cracked on. Lines on the snow painted blue, and they played with a brown ball.

7-0 at half time, 11-0 at the end. Bert Lister scored 7. And it's still a club record. 

If memory serves, it was about minus 10 that day, but of course players weren't fragile pieces of ornaments then. So just ran out with legs smothered in wintergreen ( ask ya dad ) and played football. The good old days. How many on here attended that match ?

1 hour ago, 100milesaway said:

Yep…I was there but it wasn’t minus 10!😂

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I was there, I heard the Southport players brought the wrong boots not expecting the snow (no satellite pictures back then). Bert Lister scored 6, but the star player was the great Bobby Johnstone who gave a magical display.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I was there, I heard the Southport players brought the wrong boots not expecting the snow (no satellite pictures back then). Bert Lister scored 6, but the star player was the great Bobby Johnstone who gave a magical display.

I think Bert would've been rightly aggrieved had he have been pipped to the sponsor's man of the match.

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

I think Bert would've been rightly aggrieved had he have been pipped to the sponsor's man of the match.

I think Bobby created all 11 goals.🙂

22 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

If memory serves, it was about minus 10 that day, but of course players weren't fragile pieces of ornaments then. So just ran out with legs smothered in wintergreen ( ask ya dad ) and played football. The good old days.

You're joking, right? Sounds horrible.

13 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I meant you're joking that it was the good old days.

Oh right sorry.  But what would we give to just know that whatever the weather, we were more likely to see games played.  ps 1962/3 was the coldest winter in Britain for 200 years. 

Edited by 100milesaway