MATCH: Barnet (H) 23/01/24

While I'd happily take a draw tonight, a win would see us solidify our spot in the top seven, especially given the other fixtures. Same again on Saturday, so points gaps are beginning to open up. I don't fancy Aldershot or Eastleigh because they lose too many, Gateshead are knackered with players out injured or leaving, and Southend, while clearly strong, need to string results together, so if we can get our performances more dominant I think we can continue to look upwards rather than who is behind us.

I'd have ones each tonight and a win on Saturday.

If we were to get into the top 3 its going to require either Barnet or Bromley to collapse stranger things have happened but it seems unlikely. But as things stand it's likely we will face one or the other in the play offs, therefore laying down a marker by taking 6 points of them will put doubt in the minds of both of them about facing us. So tonight is almost like laying down a marker and saying to them that they are not going to fancy playing us in the play offs.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we were to get into the top 3 its going to require either Barnet or Bromley to collapse stranger things have happened but it seems unlikely. But as things stand it's likely we will face one or the other in the play offs therfore laying down a marker by taking 6 points of them will put doubtvin the minds of both of them about facing us. So tonight is almost like laying down a marker and saying to them that they are not going to fancy playing us in the play offs.

If we beat Barnet tonight and win our game in hand on them that would put us 7 points behind, not insurmountable over 17 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

If we beat Barnet tonight and win our game in hand on them that would put us 7 points behind, not insurmountable over 17 games.

Not insurmountable but unlikely. But without wanting to use the cliche of taking each game at a time. Let's just try and win tonight then continue to focus on winning the next game and see how far it takes us, it might get us to the top 3 who knows. But right now I'm not counting on it and getting into 4th or 5th by the end of the night would be a good starting point.

Edited by GlossopLatic

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we were to get into the top 3 its going to require either Barnet or Bromley to collapse stranger things have happened but it seems unlikely. But as things stand it's likely we will face one or the other in the play offs therfore laying down a marker by taking 6 points of them will put doubtvin the minds of both of them about facing us. So tonight is almost like laying down a marker and saying to them that they are not going to fancy playing us in the play offs.

Tonight will be a good measure as to whether we have what it takes to get through a playoff schedule. 

Mellon was appointed on 13 October last year. He has been in charge now for over three months and we have seen progress.

Micky has brought in five players who should feature at some point tonight - but it may take a while to see their full impact.

A win please.

• Like 1

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Not insurmountable but unlikely. But without wanting to use the cliche of taking each game at a time let's just try and win tonight then continue to focus on winning the next game and see how far it takes us it might get us to the top 3 who knows but right now I'm not counting on it and getting into 4th or 5th by the end of the night would be a good starting point.

Completely agree! But if we do win I think the gap can be bridged, if we draw it looks less likely, if we lose it looks too big to me. But as has been said elsewhere, that's the positive position we're in, games are going to mean something in this half of the season, something more than a nervous look over the shoulder at relegation. Exciting times.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We beat them 4-1 away. We should be looking to win, they looked dodgy at the back. 

Weather might impact the game. 

Sparce crowd tonight, I wonder if matches are called off for high winds?

With the forecast winds I can't see it being a great game of football at all.

Nothing is decided by the result tonight but it would be a good marker for the rest of the season to win. I can't see us dropping out of the play offs now, so it's all about finishing as high as possible. 

I’m heading up to Oldham from Shropshire this afternoon, to meet up with an old friend who’s a regular and to attend my first game of the season.

The forecast suggests that I’ve not chosen the best night for it but I’m sure a win will make it all worthwhile 😊

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EeeByGum said:

I’m heading up to Oldham from Shropshire this afternoon, to meet up with an old friend who’s a regular and to attend my first game of the season.

The forecast suggests that I’ve not chosen the best night for it but I’m sure a win will make it all worthwhile 😊

It’s hammering it down here at the moment and has been for hours. 🤞🤞this new pitch won’t turn into a boating lake 

EeeByGum.   Good luck with the trip up tonight.  Which part of Shropshire are you?. I live in Leintwardine which is just over the border in Herefordshire, but 6 miles from Ludlow. I would get to more home games if I could find someone to share the driving. Let me know.

6 minutes ago, True Tic said:

It’s hammering it down here at the moment and has been for hours. 🤞🤞this new pitch won’t turn into a boating lake 

It's sink or swim for some of DUs old guard tonight.

• Like 2

It's going to be tough in the conditions but I do hope that there are signs that we have players in now who can start to pass the ball to their team-mates on a consistent basis, but not sideways.

If we do that enough times you tend to win the game.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

remember when it was being built l pointed out that rather obvious design flaw and you said 'they havent sealed it yet thats why.'

still not sure what you and Corney were on about with that whopper 🤣🤣

Where did I say that?  And I have never spoken to Corney