MATCH: Barnet (H) 23/01/24

Defence were immense tonight, Hobson particularly played well and Hogan has found some form the last couple of weeks, carried the ball out of defence on several occasions and looks as fit as anyone in the squad, fair play. I thought the new lad Sai was playing it safe and needs to be a little bit braver particularly going forward as he linked up well at times as the game went on, understandable given it was his debut and the importance of the game, showed maturity after getting booked early on.

Conlon is a joy to watch, took the piss at times and was surprisingly good with his head, just what we needed in there and he's settled in almost instantly, he will be a big player for us in the run in. Sheron was his industrious self, terrific for the second goal when he cut out the ball and fed Fondop who was fouled, Lundstrum had his best game for us, more positive and covered some ground at both ends of the pitch. Midfield three worked incredibly hard all night.

Front two were great, Norwood is just a class above and Fondop was a nuisance all night long, add Dallas to that partnership and I think you'd have your front three. 

Best part for me was the clean sheet, bodies on the line and a desire I feel that's been missing on occasions this season, personally I think that's as well as we've played all season at home, we got what we deserved and I'm hopeful now that we can really push on towards that top three finish.

Bring on Saturday.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

13 points behind Bromley with 2 games in hand. Win those and beat them at home and the gap is down to 4 points.

I really think we’ve got a very decent shot at the top 3.

We are 10 points behind with one game in hand.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Defence were immense tonight, Hobson particularly played well and Hogan has found some form the last couple of weeks, carried the ball out of defence on several occasions and looks as fit as anyone in the squad, fair play. I thought the new lad Sai was playing it safe and needs to be a little bit braver particularly going forward as he linked up well at times as the game went on, understandable given it was his debut and the importance of the game, showed maturity after getting booked early on.

Conlon is a joy to watch, took the piss at times and was surprisingly good with his head, just what we needed in there and he's settled in almost instantly, he will be a big player for us in the run in. Sheron was his industrious self, terrific for the second goal when he cut out the ball and fed Fondop who was fouled, Lundstrum had his best game for us, more positive and covered some ground at both ends of the pitch. Midfield three worked incredibly hard all night.

Front two were great, Norwood is just a class above and Fondop was a nuisance all night long, add Dallas to that partnership and I think you'd have your front three. 

Best part for me was the clean sheet, bodies on the line and a desire I feel that's been missing on occasions this season, personally I think that's as well as we've played all season at home, we got what we deserved and I'm hopeful now that we can really push on towards that top three finish.

Bring on Saturday.

Funny how we all see games differently. Of the defence I thought Hobson was the poorest of the 3, his passing at times was appauling. (However I do think he’s the best of the 3, usually).

Hogan was absolutely immense tonight imo and just behind Conlon for MOTM, Raglan was good too. Didn’t give their 9 a sniff.

Agree on Conlon re: his heading, I mentioned that on twitter. He wins so many headers for someone who doesn’t look that tall/strong. Probably good timing. 

Wish Conlons free kick had gone in!

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We are 10 points behind with one game in hand.

From 3rd now yes but I was just pointing out that after beating Barnet and if we win the game in hand on them we’d be 7 points behind them. Do the same against Bromley and we’re only 4 points behind them.

And to add to that, there’s another 15 games to make up those 4 points. 17 other games to make up the 7 point gap to Barnet (assuming winning the game in hand). 

Edited by nzlatic

47 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

In the 2 games against Barnet Norwood has been involved inn all 6 of our goals they will dread facing him again in the play offs.

They were feared to death of him. Clearly the instruction was to give him no space and time on the ball but it just played into our hands. Every time the ball went to him it was like he was wearing an amber and black scarf.

Really hope we get those chances in the play offs.

24 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

Sachdev the new right back can actually throw the ball a distance another weapon we have at our disposal now or was that wind😄

Can we start to dream yet.....

Dream, some of us booked our London Hotel for the first May BH weekend in November.

Best performance I have seen this season.  Looked like we knew what we were doing in that formation. The 3 centre backs spread wide when we had the ball and the wing backs were high from the start of any move. The midfield 3 were interchangeable. Front 2 were constantly available. Highlight for me was Sherons recovery tackle and pass leading to the penalty. That was immense.  Get it wrong and it could have been one each. Good feeling coming out of the ground. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobby and Bert said:

EeeByGum.   Good luck with the trip up tonight.  Which part of Shropshire are you?. I live in Leintwardine which is just over the border in Herefordshire, but 6 miles from Ludlow. I would get to more home games if I could find someone to share the driving. Let me know.

@EeeByGum

It’s so good to wake up the morning after and recollect a really good performance and result from the night before - then to come on here and read all the positive messages. There’s a long way to go and I know nothing is settled yet for the season but it really does feel like we are on the way back at last. Hope last night’s result makes Frank’s finishing line feel a bit nearer!

There really was some outstanding individual performances last night, but I was more impressed by the fact that it was a TEAM win. The TEAM did very well, motivated each other and played as a team. 

Also based on last nights performance Kanu can stay at Barnet 😉

Long distance Latic (Worcester). Great watch on National League TV.
We appear to have a team again, well done to MM and Brabin for the new signings and the Board for supplying the funds with one more to come WOW.
Lundstrum - that's the best I've seen him play in an Oldham shirt.
Sachdev - our new full back, quick but a bit tentative but grew into the game and has a long throw on him.
Fondop - whatever they feed him on don't stop, not the best footballer in the world, but I love him, total nuisance.
Sheron - Looked a totally different player and got the ref back LOL.
Conlon - what we've been missing, class act, best midfielder I've seen since Sheridan.
Norwood - the main man, sniffer extraordinaire, with incredible finishing.
Defence - solid as a rock.
Really chuffed with the new look Latics, I might even travel the 250 mile round trip to watch some games.
Lofty

Edited by pcassist
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

It’s so good to wake up the morning after and recollect a really good performance and result from the night before - then to come on here and read all the positive messages. There’s a long way to go and I know nothing is settled yet for the season but it really does feel like we are on the way back at last. Hope last night’s result makes Frank’s finishing line feel a bit nearer!

They had Frank on the phone over the speaker in hospitality after the game last night and he seemed in very good spirits after the win, Luke was very funny joking with him and making reference to Judith being busy with the cheque book whilst he's been away, he's covered 2000 nautical miles now with about 700 to go, hopefully when he gets back we will have something to celebrate with him and he probably won't recognise the new look team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, astottie said:

Best performance I have seen this season.  Looked like we knew what we were doing in that formation. The 3 centre backs spread wide when we had the ball and the wing backs were high from the start of any move. The midfield 3 were interchangeable. Front 2 were constantly available. Highlight for me was Sherons recovery tackle and pass leading to the penalty. That was immense.  Get it wrong and it could have been one each. Good feeling coming out of the ground. 

This, last night felt totally different, how many times even with a 2 goal lead have we felt nervous coming into the last 5 minutes, it never felt in doubt. 

• Like 1

Very professional performance last night. It's amazing to see how players who've previously had stick are able to do better once the team is more balanced and they have better players around them. And we're still relatively early days, there's a lot more room for improvement.

We've seen the difference Norwood has made all season, but Conlon is the player we've been missing for ages. Always wants the ball, doesn't panic, flashes of brilliance, just a lovely footballer to watch. Not sure if we've had a player like this since Jack Byrne.

In some games previously we've been relatively easy to defend against as we've had a limited number of threats on the pitch but now we've got so many more options. 

Sachdev had a couple of heavy touches early on, but grew into the game. Understandably he looks like he will need a little bit of time to get up to the speed of the game, but once he does I think he'll be a real asset.

I think play offs are a certainty now, just need to push on and try to get top 3.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

There really was some outstanding individual performances last night, but I was more impressed by the fact that it was a TEAM win. The TEAM did very well, motivated each other and played as a team. 

Also based on last nights performance Kanu can stay at Barnet 😉

I'm more inclined to think we are in for Kanu after last night, I certainly wouldn't be judging him on that cameo and he would be a terrific addition to our squad.

Conlon looks the exact holding midfield player I have been banging on about. He doesn’t run around like a mad man all game. He’s calm, composed, puts his foot in (and head) to win his battles. 

He won’t be the attacking midfielder he was previously, but he will sit infront of the defence and dictate games for us, exactly what we have needed for about 2 years now. 

Credit to the whole team last night, all played well and put their bodies on the line when needed with two goal mouth scrambles. 

Norwood the difference for us, let’s hope he stays fit. 

Right back with a long throw, they do exist! 

Loved the shithousery, Fondop’s weird penalty celebration and the ref getting smacked by the ball. 

• Like 1