MATCH: Barnet (H) 23/01/24

Top result but the manner in which we played is what has pleased me so much. I've seen many, many messages posted on here over the last couple of month that suggest the result is what matters and I understand that sentiment, but consistent sides producing consistent results do so by performing and a lot of the performances under the Mellon have been average and we've rode our luck. However, tonight we looked like a side that can start to dictate large chunks of games and that has to be put down to the new signings and a few of the other lads responding to Mellon. He's done tremendously well, not just in getting results but quickly rebuilding and reshaping the squad.

Four league wins on the spin ahead of a run of fixtures against sides down the other end of the league. 

Well done Micky and the lads!

• Like 3

Lundstram. Socks rolled down is the equivalent of sleeves rolled up. Played like that too. Great to see.

One thing of note. Kanu played like he was going through the motions.

Had ample opportunity to go round or cut inside defenders and just passed the ball.

Here's hoping...

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Tonight will be a good measure as to whether we have what it takes to get through a playoff schedule. 

Mellon was appointed on 13 October last year. He has been in charge now for over three months and we have seen progress.

Micky has brought in five players who should feature at some point tonight - but it may take a while to see their full impact.

A win please.

A good hard working performance - Barnet started better than us and maybe should have scored before the first penalty. We defended well constantly getting bodies in the way.

We grew into the game and were clearly on top for the second period - the conditions made good football impossible but we played some neat stuff at times.

Fondop should have done better with his header and what a great free kick from Conlon.

Two excellent penalties from Norwood.

We can compete with the better teams and things should only get better.

Thank you for the win boys 😃

Att: 5880 (64)

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

What a pleasure to see someone make a pass from the middle of the park and slow the play . Conlon looks like that midfielder I’d almost forgotten existed 

Yes, shades of John Sheridan about Conlon.

The 2nd half against the strong wind was a very solid performance by every player. Fondop was a big nuisance and Dallas may have to wait a while for a start, same with left winger Walker and midfielder Hammond.

The new right back Sachdev looked a bit apprehensive, but he did show some quality on the ball and pace.

I don't see if it is Kanu where he would play in this current 532 system.

MM has a lot of team selection problems with perhaps Lundstam the least secure as he still looks to be carrying an injury.

Finally, a mention about goalkeeper Hudson, who was excellent again tonight.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Sounds like it’s a been nightmare for the Sheronisshit lads. 

Another goal, taking him to 6 I think - pathetic return isn’t it. 😂

Sheron didn't score, it was Norwood 2 pens.

In the 2 games against Barnet Norwood has been involved inn all 6 of our goals they will dread facing him again in the play offs.

Conlon was superb just so pleased to see someone consistently shor for a pass and know what to do when they get the ball. We have been crying out for a player like that since we dropped into the national League. Lundstrum seems to be getting abit of praise but maybe it's just me at times itvlooked like he was slightly lethargic and not fully fit. Maybe I'm being influenced by the grumpy bloke sat behind me who wanted someone to have a go at now Nuttall is no longer in the team and has found his new target. But anyway I'm not worried about him too much certainly not when we have another player in Hammond( who looks like someone who will be prepared to run alot just from seeing his 5 minute cameo) who can come in behind him if required.

Front 2 were superb Sai the right back made a solid debut too will reserve judgement on him a little but he certainly didn't do anything wrong. But overall a really good team performance. When you consider the most exciting of the January signings is still to come in its a really exciting time. Nobody at the moment will fancy playing us we are set up nicely for a strong finale to the season. 

May the 4th be with us!

13 points behind Bromley with 2 games in hand. Win those and beat them at home and the gap is down to 4 points.

I really think we’ve got a very decent shot at the top 3.

Hogan and Conlon where outstanding.

I actually thought Barnet looked the better side first 15-20 and should have scored. However after that felt we where by far better, once we got going they where poor. 

What a difference Conlon made. 

Sachdev with a solid debut, had a great first half. Was quieter 2nd half but we where better and he was also on a yellow. 

We look extremely solid and lovely to see bodies on the line defending at times. There was a goal mouth scramble in the 2nd half for Barnet and our players where doing anything and everything to prevent the goal. 

Look forward to seeing Dallas, however I’ll be honest I’ve never been the biggest fan of Fondop but how can you drop him? I don’t think you can. He’s such a handful. 

You can tell he frustrates the shite out of Norwood but yet, it works.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, shades of John Sheridan about Conlon.

The 2nd half against the strong wind was a very solid performance by every player. Fondop was a big nuisance and Dallas may have to wait a while for a start, same with left winger Walker and midfielder Hammond.

The new right back Sachdev looked a bit apprehensive, but he did show some quality on the ball and pace.

I don't see if it is Kanu where he would play in this current 532 system.

MM has a lot of team selection problems with perhaps Lundstam the least secure as he still looks to be carrying an injury.

Finally, a mention about goalkeeper Hudson, who was excellent again tonight.

Agree with much of what you say BP but think you're a bit harsh on Lundstram. Looked much better with the excellent Conlon alongside.

As for the likes of Dallas, Walker and Hammond, I  am sure MM will swap things around depending on the opposition and all will play a part. He has a lot of selection problems but now of the good kind.

If, big IF, we are after Kanu, I  suspect MM is already plotting for a time when we move away from 3-5-2. Serves us okay for now though and we're beginning to look like the team nobody wants to meet in the play-offs.

Woking now pose a different problem. Boring, very hard to break down. Bring it on!

I thought it was interesting the difference between how Kitch and Sachdev operate as wing backs.

Kitch is of course keen to get forward but generally does so driving with the ball or on the overlap.

Sachdev at times popped up almost as an auxiliary striker, a bit like Cameron did at Notts County last season.