Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

One of the biggest disappointments for me is that we haven’t had any good loanees. The loan market has served us well over the last twenty years and without it, we’d have been in the NL a lot sooner.

I am not particularly comfortable with having a team full of players on 2-3 year contracts at our level. It’s extremely high risk. 

to give corney credit, he was a shrewd operator. Appears we don’t have this trait within the club anymore.

Corney was a self serving cunt who managed to find an owner for us who was within a whisker of taking us out of business, I'd give him credit for absolutely fuck all and shrewd would be one of the last words I'd use to describe him.

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Corney was a self serving cunt who managed to find an owner for us who was within a whisker of taking us out of business, I'd give him credit for absolutely fuck all and shrewd would be one of the last words I'd use to describe him.

Who happened to use the loan market to good effect. 

But yes, he was most of what you say 

7 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Who happened to use the loan market to good effect. 

But yes, he was most of what you say 

We were 2 divisions higher then so better loanees were much easier to come by. 

20 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Let’s see if you think the same come November!!

Well seeing as @Guy Branston Pickle was rightly pointing out in his post that recruiting in January is a risk, and that it was poor recruitment last summer that meant we had to take that risk in January, then guess what - I will think exactly the same in November. Recruiting in January is always less optimal than in the summer, and last summer’s recruitment by Unsworth/the club was poor - neither of those points will be any less valid in November.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Well seeing as @Guy Branston Pickle was rightly pointing out in his post that recruiting in January is a risk, and that it was poor recruitment last summer that meant we had to take that risk in January, then guess what - I will think exactly the same in November. Recruiting in January is always less optimal than in the summer, and last summer’s recruitment by Unsworth/the club was poor - neither of those points will be any less valid in November.

I’m talking about where we will be in November after Mellon’s recruitment in the summer!

I’m still willing to give Mellon this summer. I appreciate it’s a risk, but the released list will be an interesting one.

Mellon isn’t innocent here, by no means, but for me, and I’ve said it before, this is a squad full of lazy, uninterested bastards and bottle merchants.

Royle needs questioning as he set back Franks plans a whole lot by bringing his inept mate in. We can’t really criticise him for bringing Mellon in as a lot of us fans wanted him, myself included.

But these players man, fuck them.

• Like 4

Just now, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

He gets the bullet for me. Unforgivable collapse of form now over a sustained period.

If the last 12 games were the first 12 then we'd be bottom of the league and deservedly so. 

The squad is no excuse.

Get someone new in for the close season.

How is the squad no excuse? 85% of it is Unsworths. They were shit then, they’re shit now.

2 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

How is the squad no excuse? 85% of it is Unsworths. They were shit then, they’re shit now.

Not for this level of form it's not. In fact the squad exacerbates the failure - we have our frustrations and they're understandable but anybody in the game would describe our squad as strong for the division.

Mellon should be sacked out of sheer bloody principle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I’m still willing to give Mellon this summer. I appreciate it’s a risk, but the released list will be an interesting one.

Mellon isn’t innocent here, by no means, but for me, and I’ve said it before, this is a squad full of lazy, uninterested bastards and bottle merchants.

Royle needs questioning as he set back Franks plans a whole lot by bringing his inept mate in. We can’t really criticise him for bringing Mellon in as a lot of us fans wanted him, myself included.

Will it?  Is there anyone out of contract that we'd want to keep?

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Will it?  Is there anyone out of contract that we'd want to keep?

There will be some cranks out there who think if we just release Gardner and McGahey everything will be rosy.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There will be some cranks out there who think if we just release Gardner and McGahey everything will be rosy.

No, but it would represent a good start…

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 3:12 PM, spanishfly said:

This isn't 1st hand but is a summary of what I was told recently. Promotion was the immediate aim when the new owner/s came in. It was the aim again this season; both for Unsworth and for MM. It has recently been accepted it's not going to happen, largely due to a bloated squad of inadequate players. The season ticket price was set accordingly (i.e. to be in this league next season). MM is going nowhere and there will be a huge clearout in the summer (by whatever means necessary). We must be promoted next season. All important footballing decisions have been entrusted to "the Royles" so I`m assuming that to mean Darren and Joe (and I don't even know what position either holds tbh, I was only here for the football on the pitch).

Make of it what you will.

I have reached the conclusion that what I was told was true. They collectively threw in the towel weeks ago. I can't fathom it i.e. when you still had a chance to go up via the playoffs but not a single win in 9 games speaks volumes doesn't it? The way other results have gone recently meant a play-off place was virtually there for the taking. But we didn't want it? Bizarre and let's see what unravels. 

9 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

The managers half hearted interviews looked to have reflected on the team.

A manager is supposed to motivate even the poorest players into putting in 100 % effort and we've seen none of that.

His position now has to be questioned by the board as DU was rightly sacked for similar turgid performances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The managers half hearted interviews looked to have reflected on the team.

A manager is supposed to motivate even the poorest players into putting in 100 % effort and we've seen none of that.

His position now has to be questioned by the board as DU was rightly sacked for similar turgid performances.

He’s largely managing Unsworth’s squad of shite. I honestly don’t think there’s many managers that will get a tune out if a squad of players like ours. One without a reliable and fit central midfield, without any really pace and width, without a decent proper full back all season and with nobody who can seemingly get their foot on the ball and control a game.

On the latter above, I feel that’s why he opted for Conlon. An element of panic behind it, but he clearly saw straight away our midfield is embarrassing.

I don’t understand the Garner signing. 

I do understand those arguing against giving him the summer and us potentially being in the same situation by October next season, but I’d trust Mellon and Brabin to identify what’s wrong, what we need, and how we can improve, over that fraud Unsworth who was only brought in because he was Royle’s mate.

And I don’t blame him for looking disheartened in the interviews he does, look at the shit he has to manage.

Like I said earlier, Mellon can’t be absolved of any blame, but for me, previous recruitment and an environment that was allowed to build up that’s resulted in mentally weak, uninterested players looking for a pay cheque is the bigger problem.

• Like 1

Get rid.

Not because I think it's the right decision, but because most of the fan base have made their minds up already, and we all know that once an Oldham crowd turn, there's no going back. It'll be toxic if we don't win the first home game next season 15-0 playing football like man city.

Board, management and players all need to be seriously questioned during the summer due to this level of collapse in the last quarter of the season and no one should assume their position is safe (Frank excluded obviously).

Out of those three categories Mellon and the management are the ones that I'd trust the most to bring us success next season due to the fact that he's won 4 of his promotions after his 1st summer window which shows he clearly knows how to shape a squad.  Added to this recruitment strategy from the board has been badly disjointed and imbalanced in the last two seasons and the application of the players at the crunch stage of the season has been woeful.

However, every situation is unique and if Frank and the key decision makers at the club believe that Mellon is the key cause of the shambolic end to the season then he won't be able to say that he's blameless in all of this.

What an utterly disappointing end to a season that actually could've been good for once.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

He’s largely managing Unsworth’s squad of shite. I honestly don’t think there’s many managers that will get a tune out if a squad of players like ours. One without a reliable and fit central midfield, without any really pace and width, without a decent proper full back all season and with nobody who can seemingly get their foot on the ball and control a game.

On the latter above, I feel that’s why he opted for Conlon. An element of panic behind it, but he clearly saw straight away our midfield is embarrassing.

I don’t understand the Garner signing. 

I do understand those arguing against giving him the summer and us potentially being in the same situation by October next season, but I’d trust Mellon and Brabin to identify what’s wrong, what we need, and how we can improve, over that fraud Unsworth who was only brought in because he was Royle’s mate.

And I don’t blame him for looking disheartened in the interviews he does, look at the shit he has to manage.

Like I said earlier, Mellon can’t be absolved of any blame, but for me, previous recruitment and an environment that was allowed to build up that’s resulted in mentally weak,

uninterested players looking for a pay cheque is the bigger problem.

There's absolutely no reason he shouldn't have been inspiring the players to a play off position, that's his job and he's failed miserably. Even pub teams players can put in plenty of effort so why not this lot?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1