Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I get the impression it's easier to get Israel and Hamas to see eye to eye than @League one foreverand @nzlatic 😂

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

That’s not wholly true to be fair. (Not from my end anyway) He makes lots of points I agree with, and even if I don’t agree I enjoy the debate because he’s usually fair and balanced. 

In my view he’s to forgiving and understanding for the position we find ourselves in, he may think I’m to demanding and don’t accept the bigger picture enough. That’s life. It’s ok to disagree, be a bit boring if we agreed all the time. 😁

I think we’ve been doing really well this season up til now!

Maybe we argue in similar ways so when we don’t agree we end up going round in circles?! That’s the internet for you. If we were sat having a pint it’d probably be a very different story. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Players shouldn't be forced into moves they may not want to make just because one manager doesn't fancy them.

Players have no problem forcing moves when it suits them, they can’t whinge if manager doesn’t fancy them and it’s move on or just train. It’s the nature of football, and works both ways. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Players have no problem forcing moves when it suits them, they can’t whinge if manager doesn’t fancy them and it’s move on or just train. It’s the nature of football, and works both ways. 

Most managers never far away from the sack these days, makes sense to stick around and see if the next one likes you rather than going somewhere you don't really want to.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I think we’ve been doing really well this season up til now!

It's the mystery of football, I suppose. Nothing I`ve seen comes anywhere near my definition of "doing really well".

We must have been a completely different side to watch prior to the end of January, when I started watching, because all I`ve seen is an average to poor non-league side. Several maintain the likes of Conlon, Lundstram and Hogan are okay for next season. Opinions again but I think we can expect a lengthy non-league stay if players like that are still around. I think Mellon would have rid in a heartbeat if he could (and I think he signed Conlon too didn't he?).

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Most managers never far away from the sack these days, makes sense to stick around and see if the next one likes you rather than going somewhere you don't really want to.

Makes sense if you’re on a good  contract and other clubs won’t match it. Doesn’t make sense if you can play football elsewhere for the same money (loan club and Latics paying your wage) but would rather just train. That’s a very poor reflection on a player. 

4 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

It's the mystery of football, I suppose. Nothing I`ve seen comes anywhere near my definition of "doing really well".

We must have been a completely different side to watch prior to the end of January, when I started watching, because all I`ve seen is an average to poor non-league side. Several maintain the likes of Conlon, Lundstram and Hogan are okay for next season. Opinions again but I think we can expect a lengthy non-league stay if players like that are still around. I think Mellon would have rid in a heartbeat if he could (and I think he signed Conlon too didn't he?).

He wasn’t talking Latics, he talking about the ratio of me and him agreeing or not over this season. 😁

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He wasn’t talking Latics, he talking about the ratio of me and him agreeing or not over this season. 😁

ooops lol  - sorry to NZ then. I have no "up" thingys left. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mick26 said:

Don't mind him bringing in some players he's worked with before but the problem is that EFL players want decent money to drop down to the NL. We've seen lots of talented players in this league who hopefully would jump at the chance of coming here,wouldn't cost the earth and would possibly have decent resale potential.

Unless there's a break clause in his contract based on performance I don't think we've any choice but to stick with Mellon but he's on thin ice with more and more of our supporters.

Its a fair point, thinking back to when Brabin was here though the majority were National League or players released so he does have an eye for a player. As you rightly say there is some talent in the National League.

Despite the rivalry I do hope you get promotion next season, would much rather be playing you in league games.

On an aside with regards to transfers I was not shocked at all to see Tollitt leave soon after Micky joining, the two of them just do not get on.

I wouldn't be shocked if Paul Lewis is one who leaves us for you, Micky has signed him a number of times and he is out of contract with us. I think you will sign a player 35+ as well, he signed Perkins, Clarke etc when here, he likes an experienced leader in the side

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, trfc2024 said:

Its a fair point, thinking back to when Brabin was here though the majority were National League or players released so he does have an eye for a player. As you rightly say there is some talent in the National League.

Despite the rivalry I do hope you get promotion next season, would much rather be playing you in league games.

On an aside with regards to transfers I was not shocked at all to see Tollitt leave soon after Micky joining, the two of them just do not get on.

I wouldn't be shocked if Paul Lewis is one who leaves us for you, Micky has signed him a number of times and he is out of contract with us. I think you will sign a player 35+ as well, he signed Perkins, Clarke etc when here, he likes an experienced leader in the side

When Mellon took over from Brabin, did he have to do an overhaul of the playing squad? Or had Brabin signed some decent players already?

57 minutes ago, trfc2024 said:

As for the comments on Norwood

For us he was always best as a lone striker but I am not sure he has the legs for that anymore and that is probably the biggest issue.

I assume he benefitted from wingers/full backs that could cross a ball and a midfield that wasn't 40 yards behind him at all times too?

23 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Home form hasn't been addressed by about 30 managers since JR left us. We've lost on average 8-10 home matches every season since. You can't place that specific blame at MM's feet. 

Even Dowie's team. The hardest (in a physical sense) team I've ever seen us field, lost around 6-7 at home the season we made the play-offs. The issue is an endemic one.

Couldn't actually believe this- rose tinted glasses and all that. Shez's play off season was the same, although the home form from that season suffered badly towards the end of it. 

Another stat from Dowie's season is that Wijnhard only scored 5 goals??  Why do i think he done so much better!  I thought he got at least double figures!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Another stat from Dowie's season is that Wijnhard only scored 5 goals??  Why do i think he done so much better!  I thought he got at least double figures!!

That's definitely not true. Wijnhard scored 5 goals in 4 days that season and definitely got a few more along the way...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

That's definitely not true. Wijnhard scored 5 goals in 4 days that season and definitely got a few more along the way...

Thought it sounded dodgy for him!    Had Andrews on 12 and Eyersy on 16.

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

26 appearances 10 goals

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

26 appearances 10 goals

Was it only 5 in league?  It's wiki I'm going from!    Thought it was more than that in league as well!    Wonder what our best home record has been since those two play off seasons. 

Those two sides were definitely worth watching even though they had so many home defeats (not that I remembered it like that though!!).

Edited by deckyd

1 hour ago, deckyd said:

Was it only 5 in league?  It's wiki I'm going from!    Thought it was more than that in league as well!    Wonder what our best home record has been since those two play off seasons. 

Those two sides were definitely worth watching even though they had so many home defeats (not that I remembered it like that though!!).

Not sure on exact numbers but certainly more than 5 in league; 4 against Mansfield, 1 against Bristol, 1 against Tranmere and 2 against Swindon immediately come to mind. Probably a few others along the way...

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Just wondering, is the assistant manager on a 3 year contract too? 

Probably, but he’s still employed by The New Saints fc too isn’t he, so he might be on a temporary contract of some sort?

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Probably, but he’s still employed by The New Saints fc too isn’t he, so he might be on a temporary contract of some sort?

I'd imagine TNT would beat our lot.

Finally listened to the post match interview and the underlying disgust with the players is there for all to see. To me, he has come as close to calling them out in public as he possibly can. They're shit and they've downed tools as well and as he rightly points out, many will still be here stealing a living next season. What a fuck up it was to allow Unsworth the close season.

Barring a fucking miracle, I cannot see much being different next season, many of the same players with the same issues churning out the same shite unless he can bring in some quality in the required areas to drag the others up to scratch. I'm just very sceptical right now.

In all honesty, if he stays, he's going to need two close seasons to recruit before we stand any chance of getting back into the league. I'm not sure a different manager will do any better with the clowns he would have at his disposal.