Micky Mellon Sack Watch

4 hours ago, Lags said:

Going to buck the tread a little. I liked that Mellon interview, the honesty that we've all seen and worked out for ourselves.
It was a miserable, defensive, ‘don’t blame me interview. The way he accused Alan of lazy journalism and spoke of the top teams we had played… honest? It was laughable.

The level of abuse and vitriol has to stop

Agreed

Providing Mellon and DR can talk a good number of players to leave and release the budget for in coming, then Mellon will get us up there next season.

Will he?

He's no mug and his track record for me gives him credence. 
Not for me based on his track record last season 

I am going to stick with the trend - it was a poor interview. (see online comments)

And I’m not convinced that he is the right man.

Edited by TheBigDog

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I am going to stick with the trend - it was a poor interview. (see online comments)

And I’m not convinced that he is the right man.

If he'd said what he said in thirty seconds I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt. But to say it will over and over again for nearly fifteen minutes was beyond the pale for me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't always agree with you Lags and no pun intended but that's about as fair a post as I've seen on the subject, given we are clearly going in to next season with MM in charge it's probably about time the slate was cleaned on all sides and we offer him our backing, there's little to be gained from hoping a manager fails for anyone to prove their point, in fact if that does happen it will undoubtedly be another failed season we'll rack up and surely no fan wants that, I've decided I'm going to renew next season in the hope that DR and MM can clean up some of the mess and give us a team we can all be proud of. Here's hoping.

Emotions have been running high and its never a good time to put down in words in that moment.  No one can agree all the time,  even the closest of mates. However when the dust settles and we think rationally we all know that harmony and mutual backing is the best setting for success. The Athletico's will have a massive part to play at games next season. The rest of us need to support the players 100%.

I knew you'd renew.... its what you do!!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't always agree with you Lags and no pun intended but that's about as fair a post as I've seen on the subject, given we are clearly going in to next season with MM in charge it's probably about time the slate was cleaned on all sides and we offer him our backing, there's little to be gained from hoping a manager fails for anyone to prove their point, in fact if that does happen it will undoubtedly be another failed season we'll rack up and surely no fan wants that, I've decided I'm going to renew next season in the hope that DR and MM can clean up some of the mess and give us a team we can all be proud of. Here's hoping.

Folded like a cheap pack of cards there Faz...

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

If he'd said what he said in thirty seconds I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt. But to say it will over and over again for nearly fifteen minutes was beyond the pale for me 

He certainly could have told his truth as he see's it in one minute,  then walked down the tunnel.  I very much doubt that would have cut it either. 

Edited by Lags

2 hours ago, Lags said:

He certainly could have told his truth as he see's it in one minute,  then walked down the tunnel.  I very much doubt that would have cut it either. 

Any player he tries to sign will watch that. It's not a great advert for the club or him.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Any player he tries to sign will watch that. It's not a great advert for the club or him.

I very much doubt that interview would trump players testaments of the abuse suffered at the hands of 'the best fans in the league'.

That said,  any prospective player that doesn't believe they have the ability to win at this level need not apply.

Still I see what you're saying. 

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Totally agree with Lags and yourself.

IMO, Mellon has publicly slated his players for a reason, and whilst he not totally immune from criticism himself, I’m absolutely on board with what he’s saying.

With the rumours of us spending again and some the names I’m seeing mentioned, I’m starting to get optimistic again for next season.

Unless they’re skint after years of spending, I can only see FGR being a big threat. Of course there’s Southend, perhaps Rochdale depending on their owners intentions, but the league next season without the likes of Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield is there to be won.

Please Micky, as a bare minimum, just give us a competent midfield and some wide options so we can go into games with an element of control.

Too many times this season, (and apologies for the disrespect if they’re lurking), but tinpot sides and leisure centres like Dorking, Ebbsfleet and Wealdstone have come to BP and had the freedom of the park. I want teams fearing BP next season. 

Edited by sjk2008
Awkward typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I dunno, I think it’s pretty unlikely that prospective signings will base their decisions on a post match interview. Or even think to go back and watch them at all. As Lags points out it’s much more likely getting booed on and chants about what a waste of money you are will put someone off. 

But is that such a bad thing? We need players who can meet the standards expected by the manager and the crowd, if they’re put off by those things then they probably weren’t the right signing in the first place. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I dunno, I think it’s pretty unlikely that prospective signings will base their decisions on a post match interview. Or even think to go back and watch them at all. As Lags points out it’s much more likely getting booed on and chants about what a waste of money you are will put someone off. 

But is that such a bad thing? We need players who can meet the standards expected by the manager and the crowd, if they’re put off by those things then they probably weren’t the right signing in the first place. 

Every time since the internet was invented if I've been interested in a new job I've gone onto the potential employer's website to get a flavour of what to expect. I wouldn't have expected that!  For years the club has had a justifiably toxic reputation and now, just when we have hope, our manager is reinforcing it.  I honestly thought it was a disgraceful and disrespectful rant, made worse by the subsequent apparent revelations about what might have gone on. Reid was banished and fair enough as Mellon appeared to be setting standards. That's no good if he doesn't stick to them himself.

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Every time since the internet was invented if I've been interested in a new job I've gone onto the potential employer's website to get a flavour of what to expect. I wouldn't have expected that!  For years the club has had a justifiably toxic reputation and now, just when we have hope, our manager is reinforcing it.  I honestly thought it was a disgraceful and disrespectful rant, made worse by the subsequent apparent revelations about what might have gone on. Reid was banished and fair enough as Mellon appeared to be setting standards. That's no good if he does stick to them himself.

I get what you’re saying and I’m not saying it definitely wouldn’t be a factor. But the emotions on display after being shouted at for 90 minutes then getting a microphone shoved in your face should be something players would understand so they might place a little less stock in it than the corporate world. We’ll have to wait and see, if we get another Southend away to kick off next season then we’ll know we’re in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I get what you’re saying and I’m not saying it definitely wouldn’t be a factor. But the emotions on display after being shouted at for 90 minutes then getting a microphone shoved in your face should be something players would understand so they might place a little less stock in it than the corporate world. We’ll have to wait and see, if we get another Southend away to kick off next season then we’ll know we’re in trouble. 

I think we'll know sooner than that. If we get to within a fortnight of the new season and have failed to sign most of a new starting XI we'll be in bother

Stattos may have to help/correct me here, but I was looking at our list of managers because of our high turnover rate and I think I’ve discovered a bit of a weird stat. If Mellon stays til the end of next season that would be the longest time an experienced manager will have been given by us since the 1960s. Anyone since then who’s served longer has been in their first full time managerial role. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Stattos may have to help/correct me here, but I was looking at our list of managers because of our high turnover rate and I think I’ve discovered a bit of a weird stat. If Mellon stays til the end of next season that would be the longest time an experienced manager will have been given by us since the 1960s. Anyone since then who’s served longer has been in their first full time managerial role. 

I do know that if that happens he'd be the first since Lee Johnson to start and finish a season 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

I do know that if that happens he'd be the first since Lee Johnson to start and finish a season 

That’s what got me looking at it. By my reckoning Les McDowell is the last manager who’d had a previous job to get a season and a half. Ronnie Moore with 14 months is the best since then. 

12 hours ago, Lags said:

‘the best fans in the league'.

That’s twice you have used that epithet - and we all know it ain’t true.

A few may have said it in regard to the numbers who travel away as a percentage of the home numbers but that’s all. 

Our fans are no better or worse than the vast majority of teams. 

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

That’s twice you have used that epithet - and we all know it ain’t true.

A few may have said it in regard to the numbers who travel away as a percentage of the home numbers but that’s all. 

Our fans are no better or worse than the vast majority of teams. 

On the vitriol stakes currently we'll take some licking and that as to stop. Whether like you, fans don't believe Mellon can take us forward, or those like me who still think given his own hand he'll get us up there, we all need to come together next season. Otherwise the toxic atmosphere at BP will only hinder.

Regarding the 'epithet' (yes I google'd it) you refer too, it's been used many a time by many a Latic fan. It's a little sarcastic dig granted that doesn't really empower the point made . 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Lags said:

Going to buck the tread a little. I liked that Mellon interview, the honesty that we've all seen and worked out for ourselves. The level of abuse and vitriol has to stop if we are to become a promotion outfit and if anyone wants to take issue that smacks of it's any kind of 'fans fault' suck that up. I left very early during the Wealdstone game for 2 reasons, we were going to lose and I didn't want to watch 'the best fans in the league'  spitting feathers. The only way to promotion is the whole club pulling the same direction.

Providing Mellon and DR can talk a good number of players to leave and release the budget for in coming, then Mellon will get us up there next season. He's no mug and his track record for me gives him credence. Of course every manager as a shelf life and times move on, but times not up yet for Mellon. He's the man still currently. 

Excellent post Lags. We have to get behind him, and park those unsure feelings. He gets a good crack of the whip with players that are 60-70% of who he wants.

20 hours ago, League one forever said:

Giver over. 

It’s got nothing to do with fans feelings, I don’t anybody was hurt by what he said. 😂 No one cares that much. It’s just having an opinion on the substance, which was contradictory uninspired venting. 

I’d rather he wasn’t divisive, and create a them and us mentality. He’s very prickly of any criticism. Won’t go on the pod after they said he walked out before their interview. Shot Alan down, after his only honest and testing question all season. Brings up getting shit off fans, and says- don’t question me. . No problem when you’re winning. You look stupid when you’ve won 1 in 13. 

He's divisive in your opinion because he said things that you don't want to hear. He may have chosen one or two a bit more wisely, granted. But he's calibrating expectation levels of the fanbase. He's telling it how it is for the first time when he's been toeing the line keeping a lid on his frustrations for six months. It's raw, fairly unpalatable and resets us for a completely new team over the next two seasons. His team.

Fans expectations have long been an extra hurdle we've had as a millstone round our neck. It's part of the reason for decades of underachievement. Ambition's important, and we should have overall aims and a plan. But until all this #HMSpisstheleague bollocks stops we'll continue to be saddled with it.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lags said:

On the vitriol stakes currently we'll take some licking and that as to stop. Whether like you, fans don't believe Mellon can take us forward, or those like me who still think given his own hand he'll get us up there, we all need to come together next season. Otherwise the toxic atmosphere at BP will only hinder.

I agree that the vitriol has to end. 

The club needs to come out and ask for this to stop and for all fans to get behind the team 👍

I’d go further and state that fans who continue the ‘foul-mouthed’ invective are not welcome at the club.

Next season we all need to pull together.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I agree that the vitriol has to end. 

The club needs to come out and ask for this to stop and for all fans to get behind the team 👍

I’d go further and state that fans who continue the ‘foul-mouthed’ invective are not welcome at the club.

Next season we all need to pull together.

100% with that. It's OK to praise the great vocal loyal backing of sections of the crowd and rightly so, but the other side of the seesaw needs the same level of address. I've no problem with groans in the crowd at an easy stray pass but the screwed up faces, screaming, arm waving gesticulation of obscenities at players needs eradicating quickly. Maybe I am just getting old but I do know that really is now a problem at Oldham. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He's divisive in your opinion because he said things that you don't want to hear.

I’m not important mate. 

The players are. If you think some of contracted lads will put a shift in for him next season, and won’t poison the new lads when they’re not playing- then fine. But I think there’s a good chance that both will happen. Time will tell which one of us is right. 

But he's calibrating expectation levels of the fanbase.

Eh? When should a manager ever calibrate fan expectation. He doesn’t decide where we should finish. 😂😂   The board set the expectation, based on budget- not him. He works to an agreed set of expectations on agreeing his employment. He said on Radio Manchester and other outlets not long after he joined that playoffs was the expected target. He’s failed. 

Now he has failed- he calibrating fan expectations. . . nah. He’s making excuses and alienating people. 

He's telling it how it is for the first time when he's been toeing the line keeping a lid on his frustrations for six months.

I get that- and when people speak passionately it’s not always what you would say on reflection. But, like you said he’s been bubbling away for long time- so it’s not a reaction- he’s been itching to say it. So choose your words very carefully- instead of throwing the board, the players,  and the fans under the bus. The first rule of leadership is personal accountability, not blaming everyone else. 

It's raw, fairly unpalatable and resets us for a completely new team over the next two seasons. His team.

He won’t get anywhere near two seasons if he chooses to be raw and alienate. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

17 hours ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

Time will tell, but I just think he’s made his job harder than it already is. 

Completely disagree. If a prospective target watches it and is put off, he's not the mentally tough character we need for next season - see the excellent post by a Wealdstone fan on another thread.

11 hours ago, nzlatic said:

100% agree with this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Every time since the internet was invented if I've been interested in a new job I've gone onto the potential employer's website to get a flavour of what to expect. I wouldn't have expected that!  For years the club has had a justifiably toxic reputation and now, just when we have hope, our manager is reinforcing it.  I honestly thought it was a disgraceful and disrespectful rant, made worse by the subsequent apparent revelations about what might have gone on. Reid was banished and fair enough as Mellon appeared to be setting standards. That's no good if he doesn't stick to them himself.

Unfortunately, you are confusing the real world employment market with the football equivalent. There is not much that is logical about the latter.