Micky Mellon Sack Watch

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not important mate. 

The players are. If you think some of contracted lads will put a shift in for him next season, and won’t poison the new lads when they’re not playing- then fine. But I think there’s a good chance that both will happen. Time will tell which one of us is right. 

Eh? When should a manager ever calibrate fan expectation. He doesn’t decide where we should finish. 😂😂   The board set the expectation, based on budget- not him. He works to an agreed set of expectations on agreeing his employment. He said on Radio Manchester and other outlets not long after he joined that playoffs was the expected target. He’s failed. 

Now he has failed- he calibrating fan expectations. . . nah. He’s making excuses and alienating people. 

I get that- and when people speak passionately it’s not always what you would say on reflection. But, like you said he’s been bubbling away for long time- so it’s not a reaction- he’s been itching to say it. So choose your words very carefully- instead of throwing the board, the players,  and the fans under the bus. The first rule of leadership is personal accountability, not blaming everyone else. 

He won’t get anywhere near two seasons if he chooses to be raw and alienate. 

You've made your mind up for next season and mellon, that's your perogative. I just hope there's more who will give a clean slate than your stance. 

What I don't understand is that you appear to side with the very bad apple players to disrupt next season like they did this. I'd rather drive them out,  if that means garden leave so be it if they refuse to find another club where they maybe happy.

Lets be perfectly clear,  only 2 managers will be successful next season,  so the odds are stacked in your favour when you state let's see who's right. 

Edited by Lags
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lags said:

What I don't understand is that you appear to side with the very bad apple players to disrupt next season like they did this.

Lags- let me be absolutely crystal clear. The players are and have been a collective shambles. 

But you’re confusing siding with them and the reality of the situation. 

Mellon is telling us in a myriad of different ways- that he is stuck with these players. He’s bemoaning publicly he can’t move them on. He’s telling us he’s knows what good looks like and the contracted players aren’t that. He’s telling us the squad need an overhaul. 

Mellon doesn’t win the games. The players do. If you think that his diatribe will have no effect on current players still needed next season then fine, but I think he has shot himself in the foot. 

9 minutes ago, Lags said:

I'd rather drive them out,  if that means garden leave so be it if they refuse to find another club where they maybe happy.

If this was remotely possible, I wouldn’t have a single problem with what he said. Let’s get rid of 36 players by hook or crook and let him mould it as he sees fit. 

But that isn’t the realty is it???? 

He has a lot of players, who he has slated but will still need because he can’t sack them all.

He doesn’t want them there, but expects them to perform??? Doesn’t make any sense. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Lags- let me be absolutely crystal clear. The players are and have been a collective shambles. 

But you’re confusing siding with them and the reality of the situation. 

Mellon is telling us in a myriad of different ways- that he is stuck with these players. He’s bemoaning publicly he can’t move them on. He’s telling us he’s knows what good looks like and the contracted players aren’t that. He’s telling us the squad need an overhaul. 

Mellon doesn’t win the games. The players do. If you think that his diatribe will have no effect on current players still needed next season then fine, but I think he has shot himself in the foot. 

If this was remotely possible, I wouldn’t have a single problem with what he said. Let’s get rid of 36 players by hook or crook and let him mould it as he sees fit. 

But that isn’t the realty is it???? 

He has a lot of players, who he has slated but will still need because he can’t sack them all.

He doesn’t want them there, but expects them to perform??? Doesn’t make any sense. 

Look at it from a different angle. Had mellon kept it in house and no one outside the club were non the wiser, these unwanted bad apples get free reign to sit on the sidelines collecting their wedge. Now....everyone knows and there's no hiding if that's what they do.  Yes reality is they can still do that,  they have a contact but when mellon banishes them everyone knows why. 

Edited by Lags

1 minute ago, Lags said:

Look at it from a different angle. Had mellon kept in house and no one outside the club were non the wiser, these unwanted bad apples get free rein to sit on the sidelines collecting their wedge. Now....everyone knows and there's no hiding of that's what they do.  Yes reality is they can still do that,  they have a contact but when mellon banishes them everyone knows why. 

I’ve no issue there in principle. 

If he doesn’t want to play them, and it quickly becomes clear who is contracted but not fancied - then fine. 

But it’s not that simple is it. 

He banished Reid- and Kitching decided he didn’t want to play football anymore. 

Fine- banish Kitching, and sign a new left back. 

Kitching then becomes Reid this season- there. .  but never playing. . . and the cycle starts again. 

Mellon is very much my way or fuck off. Fine. 

But he’s not at a club and situation to be able to do that. He needs to adapt for the greater good, to buy himself the time needed to finish the job. 

Just saying- right, everybody out- none of you are good enough Is never going to work. He needs to be a lot cuter in how deals with players instead being so black and white. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve no issue there in principle. 

If he doesn’t want to play them, and it quickly becomes clear who is contracted but not fancied - then fine. 

But it’s not that simple is it. 

He banished Reid- and Kitching decided he didn’t want to play football anymore. 

Fine- banish Kitching, and sign a new left back. 

Kitching then becomes Reid this season- there. .  but never playing. . . and the cycle starts again. 

Mellon is very much my way or fuck off. Fine. 

But he’s not at a club and situation to be able to do that. He needs to adapt for the greater good, to buy himself the time needed to finish the job. 

Just saying- right, everybody out- none of you are good enough Is never going to work. He needs to be a lot cuter in how deals with players instead being so black and white. 

You keep implying that his words/actions can be taken by the squad to be him meaning all of them. I don’t think that’s the case with what he’s said. In fact he’s said a few times that he has good players who need others to come in and help them out. 

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You keep implying that his words/actions can be taken by the squad to be him meaning all of them. I don’t think that’s the case with what he’s said. In fact he’s said a few times that he has good players who need others to come in and help them out. 

No, I said the other day - it’s not all of them. It would be silly to suggest it’s all of them. But Suzanne has already said quite a few been told to find new clubs. And that’s not Reid, Kurt, Nuttall, etc. It’s Hogan, Sheron and others. 

Maybe you and the others are right- 

They’ll be no hangover in mentality with players that have already failed, and everyone in the squad will buy into Mellon despite the fact he doesn’t rate a few, and they won’t talk to each other because he’s told them it’s his way or nothing. 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Unfortunately, you are confusing the real world employment market with the football equivalent. There is not much that is logical about the latter.

There might be less logic but there's still some. Unless we just chuck money at ii

I'm coming round to the idea that whatever happens Mellon will need till this time next year to be properly judged, I know that's a swing in my opinion and some might say that's fickle but some things are stacking up differently for me now, I've been critical of managers in the past when really they took the shit for bad owners and I'm of the opinion now that there is little point gunning for Mellon because our problems run deeper.

None of us really care about styles of play and tactics if the results are good and I personally feel Mellon with half a dozen solid signings can deliver that and in this situation we shouldn't be scrutinizing the manager but looking at the deeper issues and the culture that exists which iI have a feeling he's determined to worm out, dirty washing is out now and some of these players no longer have anywhere to hide and if that takes another month, six months or a year to correct then so be it I say. 

I'm going to back him after the news broken by Suzanne last week, short of a club statement it answered many of my concerns and gave me an insight in to where the club is at.

I think we've hit rock bottom and now I feel the only way is up and I think Mellon has the balls and personality to put the foundations in place even if I don't always agree with everything he does. I suppose I'm coming round to the idea of trusting the process.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm coming round to the idea that whatever happens Mellon will need till this time next year to be properly judged, I know that's a swing in my opinion and some might say that's fickle but some things are stacking up differently for me now, I've been critical of managers in the past when really they took the shit for bad owners and I'm of the opinion now that there is little point gunning for Mellon because our problems run deeper.

None of us really care about styles of play and tactics if the results are good and I personally feel Mellon with half a dozen solid signings can deliver that and in this situation we shouldn't be scrutinizing the manager but looking at the deeper issues and the culture that exists which iI have a feeling he's determined to worm out, dirty washing is out now and some of these players no longer have anywhere to hide and if that takes another month, six months or a year to correct then so be it I say. 

I'm going to back him after the news broken by Suzanne last week, short of a club statement it answered many of my concerns and gave me an insight in to where the club is at.

I think we've hit rock bottom and now I feel the only way is up and I think Mellon has the balls and personality to put the foundations in place even if I don't always agree with everything he does. I suppose I'm coming round to the idea of trusting the process.

It's really not easy for Mellon.Brian Clough is a prime example. He got rid of Currie because he parked in his parking spot. Then Brian was destroyed at Leeds by player power. I prefer a manager who speaks his mind.It takes a lot of moving parts for a team to be successful but no.1 is players commitment, effort and loyalty cause we pay their wages.Bad apples in a team are a problem.If players are undermining the manager its not the managers fault.Players not performing,not trying and moaning should be dealt with.Ideally they should be sacked but as has been said many times agents and contracts limit the managers ability to respond to the situation especially when half your team was obtained by your previous numpty manager.Mellon needs a chance to sort us out. Hopefully all the bits of the jigsaw will fall into place next year.Till then he and the owners need our support.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree with this. Mellon has a summer of talking ahead of him. He needs to be honest with the players who will be in the squad next season and try to get them interested in being involved in hopefully a successful spell in the history of Oldham Athletic and all the personal excitement, kudos and financial benefit that would mean.  It’s an easier task with any new recruits.

The complications are many, for example, our best most expensive players being the most divisive and self centred.

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we've hit rock bottom and now I feel the only way is up 

Never assume we've hit rock bottom! Been said many times before and we keep showing that we haven't...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JoeP said:

Never assume we've hit rock bottom! Been said many times before and we keep showing that we haven't...

Rock bottom was Notts County when we were 2nd from bottom on Boxing Day. I don't expect us to ever occupy that position ever again.

Rock bottom for me was Crawley at home. Going to the ground for the protest then walking away before the game started not knowing what was going to happen to the club. 

Since the takeover I’ve felt we’ve been on the up. Although that feeling has obviously been massively tested with some of our results down here!!

12 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Rock bottom for me was Crawley at home. Going to the ground for the protest then walking away before the game started not knowing what was going to happen to the club. 

Since the takeover I’ve felt we’ve been on the up. Although that feeling has obviously been massively tested with some of our results down here!!

Losing 4-1 at home to Ebbsfleet was way worse than that Crawley game...

4 minutes ago, yarddogs said:

Hendon was a particularly bad day 

The worst was they played some great  passing football with a desire we couldn't match.

Same with Mickleover who we were very fortunate against.

The Rock bottom to me was the day we got relegated to the NL while it's fair to say we've had 1 or 2 bad results this season these are things we can recover from, when we got relegated we were staring into the abyss and didn't know if we had any future of any kind at all.

I actually think the first 30 minutes against Fylde was the most abject moment this season. The Hendon game while a pitiful result abd performance you could say was a game we weren't taking seriously and I'm quite happy for us to take next seasons competition as a secondary priority. However the Fylde game was a must win at the business end of the season. To put in such a low energy half hearted performance was pathetic.

Having said all that I see these as bumps in the road. Their is that post on social media which gives what people's ideas of progress looks like (a straight line of improvement) to what progress actually looks like, which is a general trend to zig zag upwards. We will have plenty more bumps in the road to come before we get back to the football league. we should just go along with the ride and accept that its part of the journey.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The Rock bottom to me was the day we got relegated to the NL while it's fair to say we've had 1 or 2 bad results this season these are things we can recover from, when we got relegated we were staring into the abyss and didn't know if we had any future of any kind at all.

This for me. Horrible. The lowest point in 34 years in supporting the club. All in the context of life, etc. but I was proper fed-up for a week or so after. 

Even though the football has been shite the last two seasons, I think the atmosphere - generated by the Athleticos - has been fantastic. It goes some way to compensating what happens on the pitch in terms of the whole experience.

Before these two seasons, we didn't even have that...

• Like 1