Micky Mellon Sack Watch

53 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Is it? Tell me yours then, because he certainly inherited an absolute mess of a football club. He provided decent budgets in the early days and i'd still argue that the squad that got relegated from League 1 was far superior to some of the ones in the previous few years that had stayed up. If we had stayed up, it may have worked out differently but i suspect not. He never really endeared himself to the fanbase for whatever reason, the crowds never went up when he took over which i still find strange given how many have turned out and supported Frank 2 divisions lower down.

After some relatively petty squabbling for quite some time on here, I think you're actually bringing us all together!

Great work! Keep going!

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, PeteG said:

Is it? Tell me yours then, because he certainly inherited an absolute mess of a football club. He provided decent budgets in the early days and i'd still argue that the squad that got relegated from League 1 was far superior to some of the ones in the previous few years that had stayed up. If we had stayed up, it may have worked out differently but i suspect not. He never really endeared himself to the fanbase for whatever reason, the crowds never went up when he took over which i still find strange given how many have turned out and supported Frank 2 divisions lower down.

😂

Sorry that's all that deserves.

Edited by GlossopLatic

11 hours ago, PeteG said:

He never really endeared himself to the fanbase for whatever reason, the crowds never went up when he took over which i still find strange given how many have turned out and supported Frank 2 divisions lower down.

Just on this - and I can't speak for everyone else - but my concerns started when I first heard a Football Agent (who aren't exactly known for their decent scruples) from Morocco, with no connection to Oldham who I'd never heard of and wasn't an agent to one footballer I'd heard of wanted to take over.

And it was downhill from there...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PartTimeLatic said:

He put his brother in charge of all footballing matters and, despite repeated failings in the transfer window, never ever got rid of him.

He brought in swathes of random French third/fourth tier players with the hopes of flipping them for profit because their agents were his mates or potentially even himself, so there was little to no scouting done on the quality of these players.

He stuck Queensy Menig on £15k per week or something ridiculous in League One.

He went into the dressing room on multiple occasions to berate players, completely undermining any manager in place at the time.

He stuck his mate, Selim, in charge of the club for two months.

He repeatedly lied to fans, promising five year plans and detailed strategies of things he would change at the club and never delivered.

He was at the club for four and a half years and hired 11 managers in that time, so either his recruitment process was shite or his patience was shite.

He kept Barry Owen employed for the majority of his time at the club, despite Owen being at the scene of the crime for the previous regime's disastrous end.

The Abdallah timeline is here for you to remind yourself.

I do genuinely believe that he bought a club that was in a far worse condition than he anticipated when he took over, which was probably partially due to a lack of due diligence on his part but also due to the previous owners hiding certain things to ensure a sale could happen. But Abdallah wasn't just some unfortunate guy who took over a mess that nobody could make work - he was a fucking idiot who was as instrumental in Oldham's decline into the National League as anybody else, perhaps more so in many ways.

Frank has taken the club over in a far worse state, because it's got both the damage of the pre-Abdallah era and also the Abdallah era itself to repair, and has shown himself to be a competent businessman by making Oldham a sustainable business in the space of two years. Fans have returned in droves because an owner they like and respect, a man from the local area who loves Oldham, in charge, who we can see demonstrably has a long term vision of how to keep the club afloat. Abdallah had the club on the brink of insolvency on multiple occasions.

Agree with this other than Frank turning it into a sustainable business! Maybe in the future but it ain't now.

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

I’m not suggesting we sack Mellon but what a job Jim McNulty has done at Dale.

And Cheltenham have Nuttall firing..how can that be?

31 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

yep they finished below us 

By one point, they were on the brink and once over only had 13 players.

All his free signings have been great, he’s been very astute.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Hardly firing for God’s sake!!..…he’s fumbled in 2 goals in 15 games.

I still maintain he was never happy here, wasn’t arsed about playing for Latics and came solely for the money.

If he engineers a permanent move then happy days……

We can do without the likes of Joe Nuttall thank you very much!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

By one point, they were on the brink and once over only had 13 players.

All his free signings have been great, he’s been very astute.

I get what you are saying.

36 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Hardly firing for God’s sake!!..…he’s fumbled in 2 goals in 15 games.

I still maintain he was never happy here, wasn’t arsed about playing for Latics and came solely for the money.

If he engineers a permanent move then happy days……

We can do without the likes of Joe Nuttall thank you very much!

saveawage.com

Forget what I said about a long term plan, DoF for recruitment etc. I'd suggest that will all have to wait until some of the dross are out of contract. No point putting in place a proper recruitment strategy if we have no proper budget to recruit. Mellon has to stay now and do his very best to wheel and deal which may mean losing some of his better players in order to bring in some. I don't envy him one bit. It's such a shame we have lost 2 years, blown the budget on Unsworth and his pals and will very likely lose all momentum the takeover should have given us. If i'm wrong the club need to speak up quickly whilst the early bird is still active or people will make their own minds up based on that retained list today. 

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Wouldn't go that far, their fans cheered when he was subbed off the other week...

Although it proves it's not just us that have bellends in the stands...

19 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Forget what I said about a long term plan, DoF for recruitment etc. I'd suggest that will all have to wait until some of the dross are out of contract. No point putting in place a proper recruitment strategy if we have no proper budget to recruit. Mellon has to stay now and do his very best to wheel and deal which may mean losing some of his better players in order to bring in some. I don't envy him one bit. It's such a shame we have lost 2 years, blown the budget on Unsworth and his pals and will very likely lose all momentum the takeover should have given us. If i'm wrong the club need to speak up quickly whilst the early bird is still active or people will make their own minds up based on that retained list today. 

Been saying for ages that we can't sort out the mess in one transfer window. MM can only hope he can wheel and deal to fill the glaring gaps in the squad. Hopefully, a better balanced squad can have us in contention again.  We weren't a million miles off and 4 or 5 of the right calibre and mindset might make a big difference 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Been saying for ages that we can't sort out the mess in one transfer window. MM can only hope he can wheel and deal to fill the glaring gaps in the squad. Hopefully, a better balanced squad can have us in contention again.  We weren't a million miles off and 4 or 5 of the right calibre and mindset might make a big difference 

Agreed but it's the budget that worries me. Fondop can't have been on more than £800 a week so is it possible we can get better than him for less than that. If we have to shift out Norwood then it may help but we also lose our best player in the process. I guess the key to this summer is trying to offload the likes of Nuttall, Reid etc. without it actually costing us too much which then gives us some ammo but that's going to prove quite tough given the reported wages some of these players are on. I doubt we are able to just pay them off and if for example Nuttall is on £2k a week and only gets an offer for £1k a week we aren't going to get the best available. It may be a year of consolidation and then go again in 12 months when these players are off the wage bill. 

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

It's all going a bit North Korea again at BP. 

Mmmm,

I was going to post similar. We’ve gone from very open with the fans to very quiet. 

No statement from the board to acknowledge mistakes and galvanise. 

Ambiguous retained list. 

The club are aware of socials, they can get a pulse for how fans are feeling- and it doesn’t make good reading. 

It all feels a bit them (DR and Mellon not the family) and us again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Agreed but it's the budget that worries me. Fondop can't have been on more than £800 a week so is it possible we can get better than him for less than that. If we have to shift out Norwood then it may help but we also lose our best player in the process. I guess the key to this summer is trying to offload the likes of Nuttall, Reid etc. without it actually costing us too much which then gives us some ammo but that's going to prove quite tough given the reported wages some of these players are on. I doubt we are able to just pay them off and if for example Nuttall is on £2k a week and only gets an offer for £1k a week we aren't going to get the best available. It may be a year of consolidation and then go again in 12 months when these players are off the wage bill. 

Mellon won’t get that long, if results are poor and nor should he. 

Here’s the issue- I don’t care what mistakes have been made, that squad with some additions should be nowhere near consolidation. 

We won 2 games in 22 over two spells this season and finished 10th. You can be absolute dogshit and finish 7th. 

No one will convince me that’s things are so bad we just have accept midtable next season. Not a chance. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Mellon won’t get that long, if results are poor and nor should he. 

Here’s the issue- I don’t care what mistakes have been made, that squad with some additions should be nowhere near consolidation. 

We won 2 games in 22 over two spells this season and finished 10th. You can be absolute dogshit and finish 7th. 

No one will convince me that’s things are so bad we just have accept midtable next season. Not a chance. 

I agree with you. My concern is we've thrown a good few quid at it and been shit, if the budget is down considerably, the club may well be thinking along the lines of consolidation which is unacceptable imo.

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I agree with you. My concern is we've thrown a good few quid at it and been shit, if the budget is down considerably, the club may well be thinking along the lines of consolidation which is unacceptable imo.

Plenty of teams seem to have done well with lesser budgets, if Mellon can’t work with what he's got then he should step aside for someone who will.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Plenty of teams seem to have done well with lesser budgets, if Mellon can’t work with what he's got then he should step aside for someone who will.

Exactly. 

I really don’t like this- we’re over budget, non of it is my fault, I haven’t got a magic wand, we’ll just have to hope we can do something. 

Resign then. 

Oh. You want your money. 

Right. Well stop bitching in the media, and get on with you what keep telling you already knew- it’s a big job. 

• Like 2