Micky Mellon Sack Watch

Just now, latics22 said:

Why we in this mess? And who is the one club bigger?

Why are we in this mess? How long have you got? It's down to over 30 years of mismanagement and a whole host of other factors. We need to turn that around and i've no issue if we do start acting like billy big bollocks, we might just start playing like it too because accepting of shit has got us exactly where we are. Bradford are the one bigger club in League 2.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Why are we in this mess? How long have you got? It's down to over 30 years of mismanagement and a whole host of other factors. We need to turn that around and i've no issue if we do start acting like billy big bollocks, we might just start playing like it too because accepting of shit has got us exactly where we are. Bradford are the one bigger club in League 2.

What’s your stance on AL time here and the decline ?

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

What’s your stance on AL time here and the decline ?

He was unable to reverse the decline that's obvious. He should never have bought the club unless he was buying the ground, it was a foolish move. Too many outside influences were working against him from day 1 and his biggest mistake was leaving his brother in situ and giving him too much influence and power. His intentions were ok, he never set out to try and destroy the club like some people say, why would he having invested so much of his own money. Running a football club and turning this thing round is clearly a massive task as seen by the current regime. So easy to get recruitment wrong etc. which can hold you back for years unless you have limitless funds. We can go back to the days of Lees Brewery, Moore, TTA and Abdallah but it's all history now, we need to get this thing moving forward and quickly.

Edited by PeteG

On 4/21/2024 at 5:30 PM, LightDN123 said:

They get booed and abused every game, only so much a person can take at the end of the day. 

Hudson told Brad to shut the fuck up. Brad posts on here, so will probably agree, he gives out his opinion to the players when he’s not satisfied. 

I think the point is being missed. If I told a customer to "Shut the fuck up" or "Fuck off" I would be sacked immediately. These people are no different than we are, bar the fucking comparatively huge salaries and public profile as representatives of our club. You would think that fact would not go unnoticed by the manager and players and they would have the decency to actually do some work to earn their bloated pay packages.

If they are feeling the heat from the fans then either put in a fucking convincing performance on the pitch [which is actually their job] or just fuck off altogether. The fact that most of the imposters are going to be here next season, along with a really depressing manager, is just making we want to give it a miss. Unfortunately for me, Oldham Athletic is my one and only team and to turn my back on it is nigh on impossible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

He was unable to reverse the decline that's obvious. He should never have bought the club unless he was buying the ground, it was a foolish move. Too many outside influences were working against him from day 1 and his biggest mistake was leaving his brother in situ and giving him too much influence and power. His intentions were ok, he never set out to try and destroy the club like some people say, why would he having invested so much of his own money. Running a football club and turning this thing round is clearly a massive task as seen by the current regime. So easy to get recruitment wrong etc. which can hold you back for years unless you have limitless funds. We can go back to the days of Lees Brewery, Moore, TTA and Abdallah but it's all history now, we need to get this thing moving forward and quickly.

Good reply, I agree he prob had good intentions. I believe his brother was the problem and without him it may have been a different story. But back to the topic, we were a big club. But we were punching above our weight! We are prob league two upper league 1 mid to upper. But not if the fans drop of which it looks like will happen.

26 minutes ago, latics22 said:

But we are going to seriously decline in fan base this year, biggest club in the league… and we can’t be arsed going because we’re shit. Stockport continued their fan base through the bad times.

Stockport had an avg atte of under 5000 in 2020 and finished 8th it’s only the last 2 or three years that their crowds increased 

Edited by Handsy

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Good reply, I agree he prob had good intentions. I believe his brother was the problem and without him it may have been a different story. But back to the topic, we were a big club. But we were punching above our weight! We are prob league two upper league 1 mid to upper. But not if the fans drop of which it looks like will happen.

No we aren't a big club but we certainly are at this level. Let's start acting like one and bully our way out this shithole and back into the EFL. Once we are back in League 2 we can reassess and take it from there. What I will say, in today's game in takes a monumental amount of money in most cases to climb the pyramid. At some point the Rothwells will either need help or hand over the reigns to someone with more resources.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Wow. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

No we aren't a big club but we certainly are at this level. Let's start acting like one and bully our way out this shithole and back into the EFL. Once we are back in League 2 we can reassess and take it from there. What I will say, in today's game in takes a monumental amount of money in most cases to climb the pyramid. At some point the Rothwells will either need help or hand over the reigns to someone with more resources.

We've tried that, half the recruitment this season has come from League One or League Two. We flaunted our size/budget and look where it's got us.

19 minutes ago, PeteG said:

This is a baffling assessment of Abdallah's reign.

42 minutes ago, PeteG said:

You are correct on some aspects in that a player will nearly always sign for a club in a higher division because they have a short career and they are thinking about the here and now. However, don't think the likes of Wealdstone and Fylde don't give a shit because they do, they see us a scalp and raise their game accordingly. It's down to us to show them we respect them but show them what we are about and make these sides fear us rather than relish coming to BP and getting 3pts. We should also be attracting the best talent available in this division due to the size of the club. Players at National league level should be walking over broken glass to play for us regardless of the wages on offer and if they aren't then frankly we shouldn't be signing them. That's the one thing that annoys me about the Nuttall signing, once he turned us down we should have gone nowhere near him. Also, we aren't just bigger than some clubs in League 2, we are the 2nd biggest without a doubt.

Crikey it is like a passage from Henry V-one more unto the breach etc.

Unfortunately it is just naive nonsense-players walking over broken glass etc-no relevance to modern day football and contracts-in fact to life in general.

You feeling a bit Churchillian?

42 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Also, we aren't just bigger than some clubs in League 2, we are the 2nd biggest without a doubt.

You still can't justify the Bournemouth statement and now we get this.

17 minutes ago, PeteG said:

He was unable to reverse the decline that's obvious. He should never have invaded Russia unless he was going the whole hog, it was a foolish move. Too many outside influences were working against him from day 1 and his biggest mistake was leaving Goebbels in situ and giving him too much influence and power. His intentions were ok, he never set out to try and destroy the world like some people say, why would he having invested so much of his own political energy. Running a totalitarian state and turning this thing round is clearly a massive task as seen by the current Putin regime. So easy to get forced enlistment wrong etc. which can hold you back for years unless you have limitless resources. We can go back to the days of Napolean, Pol Pot and Stalin but it's all history now, we need to get this apocoplypse moving forward and quickly.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think the point is being missed. If I told a customer to "Shut the fuck up" or "Fuck off" I would be sacked immediately. These people are no different than we are, bar the fucking comparatively huge salaries and public profile as representatives of our club. You would think that fact would not go unnoticed by the manager and players and they would have the decency to actually do some work to earn their bloated pay packages.

If they are feeling the heat from the fans then either put in a fucking convincing performance on the pitch [which is actually their job] or just fuck off altogether. The fact that most of the imposters are going to be here next season, along with a really depressing manager, is just making we want to give it a miss. Unfortunately for me, Oldham Athletic is my one and only team and to turn my back on it is nigh on impossible.

Imagine if you worked in a supermarket and every week a crowd of people stood round your till shouting abuse at you. Constant. Telling you to swipe the items. Telling you to put stuff in bags. Ridiculous shit. Ridiculous abuse. I reckon if you told someone to fuck off you wouldn't get sacked

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PartTimeLatic said:

We've tried that, half the recruitment this season has come from League One or League Two. We flaunted our size/budget and look where it's got us.

Budget is only half the battle but without it you are most certainly struggling. Our recruitment over the past 2 seasons reminds me of United and Chelsea for our level. Throwing loads at it with no real plan or thought to what is really required. Then you have City who generally replace like for like and players just fit straight into a system that is settled. We need to go back to the drawing board as i've said numerous times, employ a good DoF who works closely with the manager, who is involved in the recruitment of the manager so they are singing from the same hymn sheet and who oversees all aspects of football at the club. Do not just sign players because they have become available regardless of how good they may seem if they are not what you need or don't fit into the system we have adopted. Lots of work to do.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Budget is only half the battle but without it you are most certainly struggling. Our recruitment over the past 2 seasons reminds me of United and Chelsea for our level. Throwing loads at it with no real plan or thought to what is really required. Then you have City who generally replace like for like and players just fit straight into a system that is settled. We need to go back to the drawing board as i've said numerous times, employ a good DoF who works closely with the manager, who is involved in the recruitment of the manager so they are singing from the same hymn sheet and who oversees all aspects of football at the club. Do not just sign players because they have become available regardless of how good they may seem if they are not what you need or don't fit into the system we have adopted. Lots of work to do.

You get some pelters on here PeteG - and I don't care who you are, or who people think you are - but this post about proper recruitment is spot on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PartTimeLatic said:

This is a baffling assessment of Abdallah's reign.

Is it? Tell me yours then, because he certainly inherited an absolute mess of a football club. He provided decent budgets in the early days and i'd still argue that the squad that got relegated from League 1 was far superior to some of the ones in the previous few years that had stayed up. If we had stayed up, it may have worked out differently but i suspect not. He never really endeared himself to the fanbase for whatever reason, the crowds never went up when he took over which i still find strange given how many have turned out and supported Frank 2 divisions lower down.

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Definitely agree that the way we've recruited has been pretty haphazard and without a coherent plan (Norwood in particular was very much a "he's available" signing rather than one we set out to get by all accounts). A DoF would be great but (and I genuinely don't know this, so curious) how many clubs at National League level have a DoF?

Regardless, Oldham aren't scared of using their pull and flaunting their size. We're getting League One players in regularly, even Conlon coming in January, we're just getting ones that turn to shit the moment they step foot on the BP pitch.

32 minutes ago, Wardie said:

But if I went into work and customers were calling me shit and shouting abuse I wouldn’t just stand and let them do it. 

I get what you are saying but it’s flawed. 

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Is it? Tell me yours then, because he certainly inherited an absolute mess of a football club. He provided decent budgets in the early days and i'd still argue that the squad that got relegated from League 1 was far superior to some of the ones in the previous few years that had stayed up. If we had stayed up, it may have worked out differently but i suspect not. He never really endeared himself to the fanbase for whatever reason, the crowds never went up when he took over which i still find strange given how many have turned out and supported Frank 2 divisions lower down.

Crowds went up in league 2 didn’t they? He didn’t do a single positive, proactive thing for the football club. His ownership was an unmitigated disaster. He assumed he knew it all and surrounded himself with people who blew smoke up his arse while they were busy feathering their own nests. 

He didn’t reverse the decline, he accelerated it. Yet you seem to be more critical of the way the club is being run now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeteG said:

He put his brother in charge of all footballing matters and, despite repeated failings in the transfer window, never ever got rid of him.

He brought in swathes of random French third/fourth tier players with the hopes of flipping them for profit because their agents were his mates or potentially even himself, so there was little to no scouting done on the quality of these players.

He stuck Queensy Menig on £15k per week or something ridiculous in League One.

He went into the dressing room on multiple occasions to berate players, completely undermining any manager in place at the time.

He stuck his mate, Selim, in charge of the club for two months.

He repeatedly lied to fans, promising five year plans and detailed strategies of things he would change at the club and never delivered.

He was at the club for four and a half years and hired 11 managers in that time, so either his recruitment process was shite or his patience was shite.

He kept Barry Owen employed for the majority of his time at the club, despite Owen being at the scene of the crime for the previous regime's disastrous end.

The Abdallah timeline is here for you to remind yourself.

I do genuinely believe that he bought a club that was in a far worse condition than he anticipated when he took over, which was probably partially due to a lack of due diligence on his part but also due to the previous owners hiding certain things to ensure a sale could happen. But Abdallah wasn't just some unfortunate guy who took over a mess that nobody could make work - he was a fucking idiot who was as instrumental in Oldham's decline into the National League as anybody else, perhaps more so in many ways.

Frank has taken the club over in a far worse state, because it's got both the damage of the pre-Abdallah era and also the Abdallah era itself to repair, and has shown himself to be a competent businessman by making Oldham a sustainable business in the space of two years. Fans have returned in droves because an owner they like and respect, a man from the local area who loves Oldham, in charge, who we can see demonstrably has a long term vision of how to keep the club afloat. Abdallah had the club on the brink of insolvency on multiple occasions.

Edited by PartTimeLatic
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, PartTimeLatic said:

He put his brother in charge of all footballing matters and, despite repeated failings in the transfer window, never ever got rid of him.

He brought in swathes of random French third/fourth tier players with the hopes of flipping them for profit because their agents were his mates or potentially even himself, so there was little to no scouting done on the quality of these players.

He stuck Queensy Menig on £15k per week or something ridiculous in League One.

He went into the dressing room on multiple occasions to berate players, completely undermining any manager in place at the time.

He stuck his mate, Selim, in charge of the club for two months.

He repeatedly lied to fans, promising five year plans and detailed strategies of things he would change at the club and never delivered.

He was at the club for four and a half years and hired 11 managers in that time, so either his recruitment process was shite or his patience was shite.

He kept Barry Owen employed for the majority of his time at the club, despite Owen being at the scene of the crime for the previous regime's disastrous end.

The Abdallah timeline is here for you to remind yourself.

I do genuinely believe that he bought a club that was in a far worse condition than he anticipated when he took over, which was probably partially due to a lack of due diligence on his part but also due to the previous owners hiding certain things to ensure a sale could happen. But Abdallah wasn't just some unfortunate guy who took over a mess that nobody could make work - he was a fucking idiot who was as instrumental in Oldham's decline into the National League as anybody else, perhaps more so in many ways.

Amen. 

Let’s not rewrite history for this tosser. 

He was at best, stupid. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

But if I went into work and customers were calling me shit and shouting abuse I wouldn’t just stand and let them do it. 

I get what you are saying but it’s flawed. 

Yes, I think you have the right to fight your corner but not with verbal abuse. The customer is king, we pay for the privilege [if that's what you call it] of watching the product served up by the manager and his team. It's shit, we can complain, they can answer but keep it civil and clean. 

It's subjective.
We're going to have to agree to disagree.

15 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Behold the re-writing of history.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Imagine if you worked in a supermarket and every week a crowd of people stood round your till shouting abuse at you. Constant. Telling you to swipe the items. Telling you to put stuff in bags. Ridiculous shit. Ridiculous abuse. I reckon if you told someone to fuck off you wouldn't get sacked

I get the analogy. I'm more annoyed with Hudson telling a fan to "Shut the fuck up", the arrogant twat. I understand the frustration but Mellon should know better. 

• Like 1